Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 RS to be PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 PM
Fast Eddie's GTS is infamous around these parts
When the cars sit on the the showroom floor Porsche will get the message...

Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
It's funny...just about two weeks ago I was having a conversation with a VERY successful driver that used to race for us. The topic of the new GT3 came up and I asked..."how do you feel about Porsche eliminating the manual transmission? A lot of people are complaining that they won't feel as engaged or involved with the car..". His answer was "I think it's fantastic. This will be the best GT3 ever. And for those people who complain tell them if the only way they feel engaged with the car is through the gear selector, they're doing something wrong."....
I agree that the PDK GT3 will be amazing, but disagree about the lever/paddle comparison. It is more about the clutch pedal then what my hands are doing. Moving it into gear and knowing which gear your in, makes me feel more confident about my gear, then guessing how many times I hit the paddle and in which direction. As easy as it is, I mess up the paddles more then I mess up rev matching with the clutch/gas/brake pedals.
The new GT3 PDK will sell like crazy and will be loved whether we like it or not. Porsche is not the most profitable car company and out of touch with whats going to sell and be popular.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
It's funny...just about two weeks ago I was having a conversation with a VERY successful driver that used to race for us. The topic of the new GT3 came up and I asked..."how do you feel about Porsche eliminating the manual transmission? A lot of people are complaining that they won't feel as engaged or involved with the car..". His answer was "I think it's fantastic. This will be the best GT3 ever. And for those people who complain tell them if the only way they feel engaged with the car is through the gear selector, they're doing something wrong."....
Racers want to have the best lap times.
I think it may be boring, but can't wait to compare the 991RS vs corvette and Viper. USA as likely to be faster again than Germany, but who will provide more fun?

BTW, please send me an invoice :-)

Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 PM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbywu
A manual transmission requires a driver with some skill and proficiency to know when and how to rev match a car through a turn as not to offset the car's dynamics. Think about what RPM you are at, where you want to be, where you are in your turn. Clutch, rev match, shift, clutch, accelerate. It takes patience, practice, and skill to do it. And it's fun when you do it properly.

A computer chip just does it for you when you flick the PDK lever.

Can you focus on other driving dynamics more when you don't have to think about shifting? Sure. Is it more engaging? Possibly. But pulling a paddle is definitely easier and requires less skill than properly shifting a manual transmission.
I drive an "old" manual 996 both as my daily driver and on the track as part of Porsche Club DEs and thoroughly enjoy 3 pedal manual cars. But I also have owned many Ferraris with F1 transmissions and enjoyed, in a "different" sense, driving each of those cars.

However, associating "skill" in driving on the track or on the street with 3 pedal cars may not be correct. When is the last time a race car in any of the world's top racing series - Formula 1, LeMans, ALMS, DTM, FIA GT1 etc etc. had a 3 pedal car in its top category? I cannot even remember because it is that far back! Are all those drivers including the current crop of F1 drivers lacking talent or skill because they are not rev matching with a manual transmission with 3 pedals? I do not believe so.

Sequential manuals with paddle-shift is the future in both road and race cars. One may feel nostalgic (as I do) about driving a new car with 3 pedals but I think they are the past not the future. Porsche is simply embracing the future and so are all its competitors.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
It's the sense of satisfaction to enter the corner with perfect heel and toe down shifts...

Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Fast Eddie's GTS is infamous around these parts
Maybe the settlers felt the same way when the horseless carriage came along. Without all those reins on that horse team they felt disconnected... Young kids today including my son don't know how to drive a manual transmission much less mesh gears without syncros.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:53 AM
nizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to all
I'm just curious why anyone would think that the 991 GT3 is a track car and/or that PDK is a sequential manual?

Both statements are false. PDK is a dual-clutch automatic and the GT3 manual for US cars clearly states that track use will void the warranty.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM
911Dreamin is infamous around these parts
Is the statement about track use voiding the warranty true?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:03 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911Dreamin
From the 2010 GT3 Owner's Manual -

Your vehicle warranty does not cover use in competition, racing or track use or other events. Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the manufacturer new car limited warranty or the pre-owned vehicle warranty.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
flyanddive is infamous around these partsflyanddive is infamous around these parts
With the computer calling the shots, you can cheapen the components and then charge more money for the car. The new GT3 probably costs less to manufacture than the previous model, however, that would not be the case if it offered a manual option.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:40 PM
gracious_911 is infamous around these parts
And for those people who complain tell them if the only way they feel engaged with the car is through the gear selector, they're doing something wrong."....
Ladies and Gents, I present to you the new GT3 RNS (N stands for neural interface)
you just think about it and it shifts for ya
in that way, you are very engaged; as a matter of fact you don't even have to drive it , just dream it at home and you win the laps!

Come on...accept it! its the new technology as a matter of fact, there is no
driving involved anymore! and if you really feel driving is a necessity then you are reallyyyy doing something wrong ...!!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:53 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie's GTS
When the cars sit on the the showroom floor Porsche will get the message...
Don't think this will happen.
Originally Posted by SpeeddemonC2
I drive an "old" manual 996 both as my daily driver and on the track as part of Porsche Club DEs and thoroughly enjoy 3 pedal manual cars. But I also have owned many Ferraris with F1 transmissions and enjoyed, in a "different" sense, driving each of those cars.

However, associating "skill" in driving on the track or on the street with 3 pedal cars may not be correct. When is the last time a race car in any of the world's top racing series - Formula 1, LeMans, ALMS, DTM, FIA GT1 etc etc. had a 3 pedal car in its top category? I cannot even remember because it is that far back! Are all those drivers including the current crop of F1 drivers lacking talent or skill because they are not rev matching with a manual transmission with 3 pedals? I do not believe so.

Sequential manuals with paddle-shift is the future in both road and race cars. One may feel nostalgic (as I do) about driving a new car with 3 pedals but I think they are the past not the future. Porsche is simply embracing the future and so are all its competitors.
Wonderfully stated. Unfortunately, it's not that obvious to others.
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie's GTS
Maybe the settlers felt the same way when the horseless carriage came along. Without all those reins on that horse team they felt disconnected... Young kids today including my son don't know how to drive a manual transmission much less mesh gears without syncros.

Originally Posted by 911Dreamin
It's the same standard verbiage -
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
From the 2010 GT3 Owner's Manual -

Your vehicle warranty does not cover use in competition, racing or track use or other events. Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the manufacturer new car limited warranty or the pre-owned vehicle warranty.
Thanks!

No surprises there. Pretty standard stuff.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:01 PM
tipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud oftipsyhemi has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by flyanddive
With the computer calling the shots, you can cheapen the components and then charge more money for the car. The new GT3 probably costs less to manufacture than the previous model, however, that would not be the case if it offered a manual option.
i love it when people consistently claim the new 911 costs less to make than the previous gen. i feel like this is constantly thrown around because it proves a point?

porsche is giving you a new motor, 9000rpm, rear wheel steel, lighter components, etc, and you think its cheaper to make?

Old 03-25-2013, 03:03 PM
gracious_911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Don't think this will happen.

Wonderfully stated. Unfortunately, it's not that obvious to others.

It's the same standard verbiage -

Thanks!

No surprises there. Pretty standard stuff.
but it says 'during the event...'? if its after
how do they know the car was tracked anyway

Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gracious_911
but it says 'during the event...'? if its after
how do they know the car was tracked anyway
Porsches record events (such as RPM's, gears, speed, etc... - like in the past, the money shift, etc...). But now it can record elevated temps, duration, RPM's shifts, etc...

As far as let's say - a drag race (10 secs), and something fails then, how would Porsche prove it? I believe this becomes a gray area (if one fails to describe the situation accurately). I'd recommend not showing videos on youtube (and other obvious proof of racing/etc...). Manufacturers sometimes appoint organizations to frequent websites (such as this one) to look for information (also handled internally for some).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS to be PDK