GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 RS to be PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Banned
Kormaster has a spectacular aura aboutKormaster has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Porsches record events (such as RPM's, gears, speed, etc... - like in the past, the money shift, etc...). But now it can record elevated temps, duration, RPM's shifts, etc...

As far as let's say - a drag race (10 secs), and something fails then, how would Porsche prove it? I believe this becomes a gray area (if one fails to describe the situation accurately). I'd recommend not showing videos on youtube (and other obvious proof of racing/etc...). Manufacturers sometimes appoint organizations to frequent websites (such as this one) to look for information (also handled internally for some).
I bet they will secretly keep a record where the car was by GPS mapping and store it in its memory bank. Just like a black box in aircraft - it is their best insurance

Old 03-26-2013, 11:44 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kormaster
I bet they will secretly keep a record where the car was by GPS mapping and store it in its memory bank. Just like a black box in aircraft - it is their best insurance
Entirely possible, but could you imagine the legal disaster that would happen if Porsche was to dispute someone's whereabouts using this information?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Not sure if you guys have seen some of the more interesting things. The new PDK is not much like the prior tranny. It is much faster and closer to a racing tranny. And the most interesting thing I saw was that you PULL either paddle to shift up and push EITHER paddle to shift down. Not sure how easy that will be.

Also that rear wheel steering should make for incredible lap times, but I just dread the complexity.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Not sure if you guys have seen some of the more interesting things. The new PDK is not much like the prior tranny. It is much faster and closer to a racing tranny. And the most interesting thing I saw was that you PULL either paddle to shift up and push EITHER paddle to shift down. Not sure how easy that will be.

Also that rear wheel steering should make for incredible lap times, but I just dread the complexity.
I haven't driven any rear steering car since 1998 (Skyline GT-R). It felt weird like the car thought it knew how I was going to control the front based on current inputs. It definitely required another method of driving, that I could not understand. I'm going to ignore that aspect of the GT3 until I can experience that for myself.

Regarding the paddle buttons, I'm going to ignore that as well, because there are fixes for this weird configuration that make it more traditional.

So a driver could either learn the new way (could be easier for some), or for somebody who drives different cars often, there are options to replace the buttons with traditional paddles (how weird did that sound?).

Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 AM
Swiss_Aussie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
From the 2010 GT3 Owner's Manual -

Your vehicle warranty does not cover use in competition, racing or track use or other events. Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the manufacturer new car limited warranty or the pre-owned vehicle warranty.
This doesn't mean the warranty is void, it just means the warranty won't cover you for anything that happens racing, on the track, or at driving events. So your warranty is still valid if you track the car and something then happens later (although I suspect Porsche might argue if the cause of the default can definitively be traced back to the track / race / driving event)....

Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ryem3
The new PDK is not much like the prior tranny. It is much faster and closer to a racing tranny.
I know porsche is hyping that feature but IMO its just an effort to win over more of the manual tranny guys who took the car is too soft or too Carrera like. I don't think anyone has ever stepped out of a 991 PDK Carrera and said "Great ride, but it could really use a better/faster transmission." As it already is, even at track speeds when the PDK shifts mid corner it doesn't upset the car in the slightest.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I know porsche is hyping that feature but IMO its just an effort to win over more of the manual tranny guys who took the car is too soft or too Carrera like. I don't think anyone has ever stepped out of a 991 PDK Carrera and said "Great ride, but it could really use a better/faster transmission." As it already is, even at track speeds when the PDK shifts mid corner it doesn't upset the car in the slightest.

And you are absolutely correct. The ability to shift on a long sweeping turns without upsetting the car (dramatically) is pretty cool.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 PM
frayed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
From the 2010 GT3 Owner's Manual -

Your vehicle warranty does not cover use in competition, racing or track use or other events. Components and/or parts that fail during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the manufacturer new car limited warranty or the pre-owned vehicle warranty.
Geesh, broad generalizations: "track use voids the warranty"

How about "if you break something on track then you have to pay for it".

Huge difference b/t voiding warranty via track use and having limited coverage. You gotta pay if you wanna play.

Originally Posted by KonaKai
Disagree. There are multiple times with the 991S where I thought it was slow to respond to inputs. The issue is not how fast it shifts. Rather, it's delay b/t input and actual shift.

Last edited by frayed; 04-14-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Former Vendor
dbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant futuredbcperformance has a brilliant future
Funny thing is most people who disagree/do not want/disregard will end up in one.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by dbcperformance
Funny thing is most people who disagree/do not want/disregard will end up in one.
Not sure if directed at me. But a manual fan getting a 991 GT3.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by frayed
Geesh, broad generalizations: "track use voids the warranty"

How about "if you break something on track then you have to pay for it".

Huge difference b/t voiding warranty via track use and having limited coverage. You gotta pay if you wanna play.

Disagree. There are multiple times with the 991S where I thought it was slow to respond to inputs. The issue is not how fast it shifts. Rather, it's delay b/t input and actual shift.
I agree with your warranty/track-use position. There is no global voiding of any warranty.

But, regarding the input/delay (which can be changed with the different modes): this can be easily remedied with earlier inputs. I had to learn this when I experienced something similar in my dual clutch car. If not in race mode (or Sport +), I had to adjust my shift points (mentally) slightly. I just chalk it up to learning the current car. Everybody gets used the little nuances of every car (turn-in, throttle steer, etc...). Shifting will just be another one of those 'things' (just as one would with the clutch engagement/disengagement).

Old 04-14-2013, 10:16 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
talk is very cheap.
if 991 RS comes with stick, how many of you are on the list. if you aren't on the list, you aint going to get one. so why does it matter if it's stick or not........ it would be someone else's car!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:22 AM
jasper makes sense. hopefully I get used to the box in the new GT3. There was some wonkiness in the box from the Coxster I drove last week (but otherwise and excellent machine). I'm betting Porsche will get it right and deliver lag-free, crisp shifts.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:40 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mooty
talk is very cheap.
if 991 RS comes with stick, how many of you are on the list. if you aren't on the list, you aint going to get one. so why does it matter if it's stick or not........ it would be someone else's car!

Not a fair assessment. Everyone doesn't rush to the dealer to leave deposits to be first on a list and be more likely to get raped if their is a premium on the first units. Some people do actually wait to see what the car is about from other drivers and/or media. I would bet the vast majority.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
alias23 is infamous around these parts
I'm the new owner of a 997.2 GT3 and came from an R35 GTR.

I basically sold my old BMW CSL for the R35 wanting something faster, but once the acceleration novelty wears off the R35 is just to clinical and to be honest boring... hence wanting to get back into a drivers car hence the new GT3 which I love!

However I still to this day rate the CSL, that was paddle and was very engaging, but the GT3 is on another level

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS to be PDK