Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

New GT3 RS only PDK

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by '08C4S
My '13 GT-R was under 3 sec 0-60. I don't know of too many other cars that are that fast but those that are also dual clutch.... Specifically the Veyron and Turbo-S... Need AWD and dual clutch to achieve sub 3's...
Talking 0-60's in a GT3 forum?

I'm talking about around a track/circuit/road course.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 AM
NYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really niceNYC_Z06 is just really nice
Normally I wouldn't second guess the manufacturer. They're in the business of selling cars. More often than not, they know what they're doing. I never understood why a sports car like the C6 Z06 came w/a dry sump to prevent oil starvation yet barcalounger seats that never firmly hold the driver in place, but that's what a majority of their 50 yr old, 200 lbs. + owners preferred. So marketing trumps performance and GM goes on to sell X amount of Z06 Vettes. But with Porsche - a company that puts out (at least w/the 997) 20 or so versions of the same car w/$3,000+ PTS option - I cant understand why it could not offer a manual transmission as an option. Simply an option. They have the transmission on the shelf. Demand is clearly there despite it being an archaic methodology. People enjoy rowing. That makes the car fun if not fast. Ultimately, that's what the buyers want - enjoyment. Of course there will be skeptic converts who adapt and adopt the new technology, but apparently there's a pretty large subset of GT3 buyers that prefer an entertaining vehicle over a fly by wire F14. Which reminds me, electric steering in a GT3???(or should we start a new thread)...

Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM
'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Talking 0-60's in a GT3 forum?

I'm talking about around a track/circuit/road course.
Yes, my bad! Of course you were talking about the track when you said fast "street" cars. I misunderstood. What do I know? I get all giggly when the rear end slips just a few degrees in the rain around the parking lot!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 AM
'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about'08C4S has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by NYC_Z06
Normally I wouldn't second guess the manufacturer. They're in the business of selling cars. More often than not, they know what they're doing. I never understood why a sports car like the C6 Z06 came w/a dry sump to prevent oil starvation yet barcalounger seats that never firmly hold the driver in place, but that's what a majority of their 50 yr old, 200 lbs. + owners preferred. So marketing trumps performance and GM goes on to sell X amount of Z06 Vettes. But with Porsche - a company that puts out (at least w/the 997) 20 or so versions of the same car w/$3,000+ PTS option - I cant understand why it could not offer a manual transmission as an option. Simply an option. They have the transmission on the shelf. Demand is clearly there despite it being an archaic methodology. People enjoy rowing. That makes the car fun if not fast. Ultimately, that's what the buyers want - enjoyment. Of course there will be skeptic converts who adapt and adopt the new technology, but apparently there's a pretty large subset of GT3 buyers that prefer an entertaining vehicle over a fly by wire F14. Which reminds me, electric steering in a GT3???(or should we start a new thread)...
I suspect the new 7 speed manual just wasn't cutting it for the GT3. Electric steering, a 90L fuel tank option, rear wheel steering, no racing bucket seats, iPod integration, navigation, front axle lifter, the horror just keeps building the more you think about it...

And yet Porsche will sell more of the 991 GT3's than ever before!

Enthusiast and purist forums are great at creating mass hysteria but the reality is something completely different. Look at 991 and new Boxster sale figures so far

Last edited by '08C4S; 04-05-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 PM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
Due to new legislation to drive fuel economy up and emissions down, no one makes hydraulic power steering anymore ALL manufactures are going over to this new tech and I bet they will soon get the feel we all crave from the 'old systems'.

Porsche isn't Pagani, they are a large gobal outfit and are there to make money period. Theres to much talk of all the perspective GT3 owners wanting manuals, these are possible a majority on here all though Na-sayers tend to be the most vocal (lol) globally I'd guess Porsche has more than got the new 991 GT3 right with all the trinkets, PDK, electric front and rear steer, 20" alloys etc.

08C4S, you have it, lets see how they come back on this.

Jay

Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by '08C4S
I suspect the new 7 speed manual just wasn't cutting it for the GT3. Electric steering, a 90L fuel tank option, rear wheel steering, no racing bucket seats, iPod integration, navigation, front axle lifter, the horror just keeps building the more you think about it...

And yet Porsche will sell more of the 991 GT3's than ever before!

Enthusiast and purist forums are great at creating mass hysteria but the reality is something completely different. Look at 991 and new Boxster sale figures so far
Yes, let's look at the sales. The cars are being sold at a discount, up to almost 10%. Many sitting on lots collecting dust. Sales figures still well behind the pace for the best years of 996 and 997 sales, and the 997 had a global depression right in the middle of it's run.

I think common sense tells anyone that sales will jump in the first year of a new model. Especially with this being the biggest redesign in a LONG time. But time will tell if Porsche selling out to make the cars like the rest of the cars on the road has staying power, which it won't.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Dark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really nice
be thankful Porsche only offers the PDK, that way you get the better transmission without having to pay for an option like Ferrari with their F-1 transmission, I love the manual, but the PDK is a technological wonder, would any of you go back to non ABS braking?

Old 04-07-2013, 12:01 AM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
Yep they would and still use maps of the world showing an edge you can fall off!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 AM
aerogt3 is infamous around these partsaerogt3 is infamous around these parts
Anyone who wants the lowest lap time isn't going to buy a GT3.....

The GT3 is about going fast, and enjoying the ride. A manual transmission is an important part of the latter. Center lock wheels, sunroofs, 21" wheels, PDK's..... this fits the poser/style crowd.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by aerogt3

The GT3 is about going fast, and enjoying the ride. A manual transmission is an important part of the latter. Center lock wheels, sunroofs, 21" wheels, PDK's..... this fits the poser/style crowd.
You are correct, which is why Porsche has yet to have a problem selling GT3's in spite of the fact that their competitors from Nissan, GM and SRT have left the GT3 behind in performance. The newest GT3 probably won't even sniff the fastest times from last generation Corvette, Viper and an extended life span GT-R at it's home track.

Porsche is basically alienating one client base and only trying to appeal to more of the same people who buy the base Carrera to begin with.

But don't tell the bench racer maximum performance guys that. You will disturb their dream where they are actually winning their DE event because they have a PDK. lol.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
Lol^^

Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aerogt3

For the record, the new GT3 uses 20" wheels. Spinners are optional.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Al Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the roughAl Pettee is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bbywu
For the record, the new GT3 uses 20" wheels. Spinners are optional.
Maybe he was referring to the ghastly 991GT3RS rumors of 21"-ers....

Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Maybe he was referring to the ghastly 991GT3RS rumors of 21"-ers....
Do they come with spinners also? If so, I'm all in!