Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Anyone using their GT3 as their daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Ian c2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by evil panda
i do! only drawback is that wife refuses to drive it so if we go out i can't get hammered because my designated driver will go on strike

Old 03-30-2013, 12:14 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Lee,

Buy a cup lip, more flexible and around the same money. There is a shop that ideal with that can get you one.
I'd certainly appreciate any leads you can provide for a supplier. I've been looking online and reading posts regarding the cup lip and several suggest it as the best alternative because it's more flexible. However, some say it sits about an inch lower too. So is the shape a bit different from the OEM ( a bit more agressive/extending out farther and consequently lower) or is it virtually the same? Some posts indicate shipping is also cheaper as it comes rolled up. I'd be interested in knowing more about your supplier and cost w/shipping to compare. Looks like I can get a cup lip from RAC Performance in TX where I had my PPI etc. ( GMG Racing supplied part) and they price it at $ 175 on their website. However, I don't know the shipping cost yet to see how it compares to Suncoast and others.

BTW I'm planning a trip to see my son and his wife in Victoria this summer. Do you have any personal experience or insights /strategies for the Vancouver/Victoria and smaller island ferries with your GT3 and the low lip issue? Thanks!

Old 03-30-2013, 02:11 AM
azcarguy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DLJ
A bit off topic, but I'm in the market to stock up on a backup lip and seeing as you're an expert scraper which replacement lip are you buying ( OEM/Suncoast, cup lip, or ?)? There's several posts with opinions out there I know. Thanks,. Now back on topic..
While I have certainly scraped every road surface in AZ and CA I have yet to replace mine That said though I'm thinking of going with a cup lip from Suncoast. They're a little lower (which you'd think would be counter-intuitive) but they're more flexible, thus staying in better condition longer. At least that's been the consensus over on the Rennlist GT3 Board. Either way your out 3-400 bucks or so. No biggie.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:21 PM
montreal red is infamous around these parts
i put around 8000 miles on my car per year... its not a daily driver but i take it out as often as i can. its definitely no garage queen.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Banned
Kormaster has a spectacular aura aboutKormaster has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I don't but have yet to track mine. It's pretty much a sunday driver for the moment and I am seriously thinking of letting her go due to the fact that I am paying for something that never gets used.
=( sorry to hear that.. but im in the same boat.. i dont get to drive it much.. thinking of letting her go too...

Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 PM
yvr
yvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond reputeyvr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DLJ
BTW I'm planning a trip to see my son and his wife in Victoria this summer. Do you have any personal experience or insights /strategies for the Vancouver/Victoria and smaller island ferries with your GT3 and the low lip issue? Thanks!
DLJ, For Tsawwassen/Victoria ask to go on the lower deck with the trucks; the ramps are nearly flat (long low nose on my DB9 is fine with no scraping). You probably can't get on the smaller ferries to the Gulf Islands without major damage to your car.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:13 PM
mike2016 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
I use my 2007 GT3RS as my daily driver, and i is wonderful. I have put about 12,000 miles over the past year, and it is incredible. Puts a grin on my face everytime.
Originally Posted by azcarguy
Drive my RS semi-daily (also drive other fun stuff so it's in the rotation) which amounts to 3-4 days a week. Grocery store, gym, errands, you name it.

Nose scrapes on everything but it's a 400.00 fix once a year and with enjoyment the car provides, who cares!

I just got my 2007 GT3RS about 2 weeks ago, I find it quite difficult to daily drive the car. my biggest problem is that there's no way I can drink coffee in my morning commute to work. THe cup holder sucks or maybe it's the ride that is too harsh. over 1/2 cup full will guarantee a spill even with the lid stopper.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 PM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
Mike, I guess you need to decide what you are doing, having breakfast or driving?

Doing anything other than driving is dangerous and especially controlling a hot liquid.

It amazes me what people do in their cars when they are supposed to be concentrating. Isn't it illegal to eat/drink/use a Sat Nav or mobile device etc while in charge of a car if not specifically then under the 'with out due care and attention' laws??

Old 03-31-2013, 11:38 PM
NBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really niceNBTBRV8 is just really nice
Yep, a daily for me.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 PM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by yvr
DLJ, For Tsawwassen/Victoria ask to go on the lower deck with the trucks; the ramps are nearly flat (long low nose on my DB9 is fine with no scraping). You probably can't get on the smaller ferries to the Gulf Islands without major damage to your car.
Thanks for the reply. I have found a few other posts on tuner forums re this and the consensus seems to be to try and book ahead on the large ferries to/from Vancouver Island and to go on the truck deck. Other bonus is apparently fewer door ding possibilities from people not paying attention and of course fewer vehicles in the first place. And yes on a couple of my trips to the island and some of the Gulf islands I recall some of the small ferry ramps are pretty steep and abrupt transitions on/off. No doubt tide levels would dictate whether or not you could use those ones. My main one to try is the Tsawwasssen/Victoria ferries anyways.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 AM
997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of
I don't drive mine everyday but it's get driven about 2-3 times a week. The first month of owning the car it got driven everyday.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 AM
mike2016 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ur20v
Mike, I guess you need to decide what you are doing, having breakfast or driving?

Doing anything other than driving is dangerous and especially controlling a hot liquid.

It amazes me what people do in their cars when they are supposed to be concentrating. Isn't it illegal to eat/drink/use a Sat Nav or mobile device etc while in charge of a car if not specifically then under the 'with out due care and attention' laws??
I try to concentrate my driving at all times, but having a cup of hot coffee in the morning has been a habit for years, i don't eat in the car or anything. but i'd like to keep a cup of coffee with me on my daily morning commute.

I have to constantly "monitor" the coffee if it's in the cup holder, or I hold it in my hand. my temp solution is to consume at least 1/2 cup at my coffee stop if I decide to drive the RS, then get on my way to work.

but in response to the topic, I don't daily drive my GT3.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM
StPatsDay is infamous around these partsStPatsDay is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mike2016
I have to constantly "monitor" the coffee if it's in the cup holder, or I hold it in my hand. my temp solution is to consume at least 1/2 cup at my coffee stop if I decide to drive the RS
Maybe some help here...
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...e-test-feature

Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 PM
StockKiller is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by evil panda
i do! only drawback is that wife refuses to drive it so if we go out i can't get hammered because my designated driver will go on strike

Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 AM
gt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to beholdgt3geoff is a splendid one to behold
Daily driving is shared between the GT3 and the 930 Turbo - tough decision in the mornings but a good one to have.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone using their GT3 as their daily driver?