Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Report Coolant fitting failures/repairs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:12 AM
M BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud of
Complaint filed today.

I had coolant pipe failure in March of this year. The car is under CPO warranty, so the dealer replaced the cooling system.

Hopefully NHTSA will make Porsche implement a permanent solution for these engines.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M BADGER
Complaint filed today.

I had coolant pipe failure in March of this year. The car is under CPO warranty, so the dealer replaced the cooling system.

Hopefully NHTSA will make Porsche implement a permanent solution for these engines.
Did they pin, weld or epoxy the fittings as part of the repair?
What does replace cooling system mean?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:58 AM
M BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud of
They did an OEM repair and replaced many components of the cooling system, but nothing different than what it came with from the factory.

It is epoxy, my dealer does not weld or pin.

I am not looking to get in a debate about the merits of the various approaches. If it was not under CPO warranty, I probably would have taken it to Kelly Moss and followed their recommendation on a fix.

I certainly don't believe the epoxy OEM solution is going to last forever, but since it was under warranty and on their dime that is what I got.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M BADGER
They did an OEM repair and replaced many components of the cooling system, but nothing different than what it came with from the factory.

It is epoxy, my dealer does not weld or pin.

I am not looking to get in a debate about the merits of the various approaches. If it was not under CPO warranty, I probably would have taken it to Kelly Moss and followed their recommendation on a fix.

I certainly don't believe the epoxy OEM solution is going to last forever, but since it was under warranty and on their dime that is what I got.
Thanks. Did they even offer to do a more permanent fix? Were they aware of the epoxy failure issues?

Old 05-11-2013, 09:47 AM
We discussed the problems and the various OEM and aftermarket solutions. They did not recommend nor would they perform a weld or pinning of the coolant pipes.

Their view is that epoxy represents the least worst option. I don't claim to know all of their reasons, but as I understand it they prefer for the coolant pipes to fail rather than having another mode of failure if the pipes are welded or pinned.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 PM
dubhov is infamous around these partsdubhov is infamous around these parts
Filed mine today. No incident yet (knock on wood), but occasional faint coolant smell from what I'm assuming is a weeping line/lines has me a bit on edge from time to time.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:53 PM
kenny p is infamous around these parts
That makes me lose faith! Will send to a friend with mezger engine.

Last edited by kenny p; 06-01-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by kenny p
That makes me lose faith! Will send to a friend with metzger engine.
Hans likes us to spell his name correctly - Mezger.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 PM
kenny p is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Hans likes us to spell his name correctly - Mezger.
Sorry for the typo. Meant that.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Ducgsxr is infamous around these parts
I haven't had this problem yet, and neither has my bud on his Turbo. That being said, we both filled out complaints

Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Davidham is infamous around these parts
Who are you filling with? Dealer?

Old 06-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Ducgsxr is infamous around these parts
Links at the beginning of this thread. File with the NHTSA

Old 06-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ducgsxr
Links at the beginning of this thread. File with the NHTSA
So you can file if you're just worried?

Old 06-02-2013, 12:47 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Cross post from Rennlist - pretty good info and looks like it may be a few months before any more decision is make, so file your reports ASAP!

Attached NHTSA demand letter to Porsche.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
INIM-PE13009-56309- NHTSA.pdf (744.4 KB, 309 views)
Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM
vinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of lightvinnycg is a glorious beacon of light
Coincidentally came across this article today after reading this thread.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/04/auto...html?hpt=hp_c2

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Report Coolant fitting failures/repairs