Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Alternative to a GT3 for under $50k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:23 PM
evil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to beholdevil panda is a splendid one to behold
a lotus

Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by evil panda
a lotus
Don't think so...

See: Power requirement.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
I'd get this Cayman. Sounds awesome!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-8-L...item20d29f8cf1

Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I don't disagree. I'm patiently waiting to see if Subaru puts a turbo in it, like they do to everything else.
the trans in the brz is junk

Old 05-15-2013, 01:21 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porka
the trans in the brz is junk
Maybe. I've only driven an FR-S. I'm unaware that there was a difference.

I recall enjoying the shifts (clutch engagement/disengagement, throws of the shifter, etc...). It seemed pretty effortless and clean.

Why do you say that? Preference? Technical reasons?

I'm curious, because this car ended up on my list (towards the bottom, but on it nevertheless).

Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 AM
aircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura aboutaircavscout has a spectacular aura about
Google and research K20 X1/9. It is a very fast and a well sorted car, AFTER conversion.

Find a clean one for about 3-5K, (Getting Hard To find Anymore), suspension, engine, etc.. 10-15K depending on how crazy you wanna go. Enjoy!

Matt at Midwest Bayless does the set up and conversion, Turn-Key. After everything is done you should still have about 10-15K left over for a nice vacation.

Plus, guarantee you will be the only one driving that car around your area.. Most of them are long since rusted away...

I hope to get my 82 X done soon...

I

Old 05-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Maybe. I've only driven an FR-S. I'm unaware that there was a difference.

I recall enjoying the shifts (clutch engagement/disengagement, throws of the shifter, etc...). It seemed pretty effortless and clean.

Why do you say that? Preference? Technical reasons?

I'm curious, because this car ended up on my list (towards the bottom, but on it nevertheless).
does not hold revs well on heel toe.. bare in mind i am used to porsche trans.. that may be were im hung up!

im sure for the motor its just fine but i like a trans to feel more crisp on engagement and a pressure plate/clutch that will allow revs when downshifting.

i was however very impressed with how neutral the car felt and you can really get the rear end out when you want to! for the money its cool but would rather a used german car like a high mileage cayman for example..

Old 05-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by porka
does not hold revs well on heel toe.. bare in mind i am used to porsche trans.. that may be were im hung up!

im sure for the motor its just fine but i like a trans to feel more crisp on engagement and a pressure plate/clutch that will allow revs when downshifting.

i was however very impressed with how neutral the car felt and you can really get the rear end out when you want to! for the money its cool but would rather a used german car like a high mileage cayman for example..
Admittedly, your last paragraph is where I'm sitting at the moment (trying to weigh that and a drumset/dog hauler with 500+HP, never cross-shopped a CTS-V wagon and a Cayenne Turbo before...).

The wife and I love the Cayman S, and it was the most fun I've had in a car since a Miata (I'm easy). When it came down to it, we preferred the FR-S, based on the warranty, less $$$ consumables, etc... We have a year left before we MUST decide, but if the right deal lands, I'll bite.

Regarding the FR-S/BRZ, I didn't have a chance to drive it as much (or as hard) as I wanted, but I remember being amazed at the handling of it all. It is a wonderful little affordable package with the right parts (seemingly).

Old 05-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
The 996tt can be quite good at the track, but it takes suspension/brakes and you'll want to uncork it with flash/exhaust. Then do seats/straps/bar and your good for several years. This is where I'm at right now and heading down to Laguna Monday to enjoy!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by fuzzybam
Let's say we factor in daily driving this beast with a few track outings per year? Any changes in the recommendations?

I should clarify that I dream of the GT3, but I often second guess myself thinking it might be insanely rough for a DD around here.
You guys in Cali have no idea what a rough ride is...

I'd then go with other suggestions here - used Cayman S, C5Z06, C6, 996 C2, etc...

Plenty of decent dual purpose cars. Although, I realize that the Cayman S, nor the C2 will satisfy the power requirement.