Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Alternative to a GT3 for under $50k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:56 PM
richardsjames44 is infamous around these parts
Alternative to a GT3 for under $50k?

Buying a new car this summer as a part-time daily and weekend toy. I want at GT3, but my max budget is $50k. What's out there that is a great all around sports car with good power, excellent handling, exciting to drive, and nice interior quality. I also want a car that has a sweet sounding engine and exhaust. I prefer rear wheel drive and NA.

My short list includes Cayman S, e92 M3, 993 C2S and possibly a C6Z06 (low rent interior sucks). What do you guys consider a cheaper alternative to a GT3?

Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
If it were me, it would be the Z06 for sure followed by the M3.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:49 PM
M BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud ofM BADGER has much to be proud of
Acura NSX.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM
ol1970 is infamous around these parts
Ok, hands down, no argument...the Z06 kicks all the cars a$$'s around the track, is fast off the line, looks great (other than dated interior), and will put a smile on your face everytime you get behind the wheel. (yes I own one) I have a new TTS that honestly is amazing, but the vette is equally fun to drive. Plus, the cars have taken the hit on depreciation, they are cheap to maintain, and still hang with most everything on the road. That's my biased opinion!

Old 05-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
For performance, a C6Z, still relavent despite being a 7 year old design.

All-around excellence and practicality, an M3.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fuzzybam
This thread is relevant to my interests.

What about Cayman S (or R) versus e9x M3 versus non-GT3/Turbo 911?
Of these 3, get the 911

Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
Why not a 997.1 C2s? Best on your list is the M3 for sure. The Vette is a beast but the M3 is very well balanced and you won't feel like your 55 while driving it.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Banned
Kormaster has a spectacular aura aboutKormaster has a spectacular aura about
or 996 gt3

Old 05-10-2013, 06:05 AM
Banned
Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !Keyser Soze Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kormaster
or 996 gt3
+1
Exactly, if you want a GT3 with your budget then the 996 GT3 is it!

\m/

Old 05-10-2013, 06:17 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I sold my R8V10 to buy a track car. I narrowed it down to the Cayman R and a Z06. I bought the Cayman R.

I really wanted to love the Vette, but I ended up hating it. Amazing performance but for me it was a lousy experience.

Drive the cars, one will make your heart sing. Buy that one.

Last edited by black penguin; 05-10-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 AM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
m3 and put some brakes on it.
carrera s and put a lsd in it.
996tt with a tune
z06 and do nothing
viper and work on interior

or consider leasing a new pcar

Old 05-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Some great suggestions on here. You can get a 996 GT3 for $50k?

Originally Posted by black penguin
I sold my R8V10 to buy a track car. I narrowed it down to the Cayman R and a Z06. I bought the Cayman R.

I really wanted to love the Vette, but I ended up hating it. Amazing performance but for me it was a lousy experience.

Drive the cars, one will make your heart sing. Buy that one.
Interesting, I'll never forget my experience lapping an R8V10 6spd around MRLS (Laguna). It was simply an amazing car.

Originally Posted by TheYoungConnoisseur
m3 and put some brakes on it.
carrera s and put a lsd in it.
996tt with a tune
z06 and do nothing
viper and work on interior

or consider leasing a new pcar
Z06 seats are an absolute MUST for track time.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Trollinger is infamous around these parts
Read last months edition of Excellence. 996 GT3.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:14 PM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Z06 seats are an absolute MUST for track time.

Somehow that slipped my mind haha!

Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Z06 hands down for the money. You Can get a great donor for 40k plus 10k of track upgrades Including seats and a roll bar + w/e else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alternative to a GT3 for under $50k?