Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

When did you get your first GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 AM
AKPS4 is infamous around these parts
When did you get your first GT3?

How old were you when you got your first GT3? I am 29 and i am just dreaming day and night of getting a GT3. I feel like i made a mistake leasing my S4 and wish i wanted a GT3 a year ago so i could have convinced myself to save up for a few years and drive around in a cheapo daily until then...

Cant stop thinking about the car and now cant get out of my S4 lease so think i am stuck making big time payments for this car which will prevent me from almost ever get into a GT3

Amazing car and im just getting more and more jealous the more i browse this forum lolol...

Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 AM
Mcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura about
42. . . 3 years ago.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM
TurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura about
Earlier this year...37. You have plenty of time, get yourself a house and settled in first.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Yup, I'm lucky to have a house already. On long island nonetheless. Expensive as hell. Just got married 1.5 yrs ago. So moving along. Actually had my house for 7 yrs now.

Patience is certainly a tough thing. Specially when you get obsessed with something. Been driving the wife crazy lately lol. First I promised to not mod the S4... Haha that held up for about a month.

Appreciate the words of wisdom. It's nice to hear feedback. I'm hoping the GT3 doesn't go anywhere for a long time.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 PM
TurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura about
I could have pulled the trigger a year or two earlier but made sure that everything was lined up and I found the right GT3. Make sure to do your research, test drive a few cars, and decide which color/options you want. Seems like 997 GT3 prices blipped up a bit after they announced the 991 GT3 was only going to be available in PDK but once the car comes out you should see the 997 prices dip again and that might be the time to pull the trigger.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:57 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AKPS4
How old were you when you got your first GT3? I am 29 and i am just dreaming day and night of getting a GT3. I feel like i made a mistake leasing my S4 and wish i wanted a GT3 a year ago so i could have convinced myself to save up for a few years and drive around in a cheapo daily until then...

Cant stop thinking about the car and now cant get out of my S4 lease so think i am stuck making big time payments for this car which will prevent me from almost ever get into a GT3

Amazing car and im just getting more and more jealous the more i browse this forum lolol...
just turned 28, got it a few months back.
My advice to you, never get a car unless you can afford it 3 times over (I don't believe in payments, but that's a whole different topic) especially on a car that isn't a true daily driver (*flame suit on*). Married, so you might have a kid on the way. Might not be the best only car to have? It is a big boy toy

Still young dude, no hurry to get behind the wheel of such a car. You hit a new problem when you upgrade too fast: what to get next?

S4, married and your own house is a huge step man. You're way ahead of the curve as most people can't even dream of having an Audi S-line.

Also, instead of gunning straight for the GT3, maybe a Carrera variant first? I know it made me appreciate my GT3 to a whole new level.

And don't be jealous, it is only a car at the end of the day. *puts on second flame suit*. I'm more jealous that you have someone in your life for example and would trade all my cars for that ^_^

Just friendly advice based on my own experience.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Hahah, i hear ya. Good advice. Certainly plenty of time to get one.

Actually, i probably could have a GT3 now if i had made some different moves in the past... i rebuilt a 92 z28 from the ground up which is my weekend toy and that ate up 6 yrs of my life and a lot of money. So with that and the recent S4 i def. could have been in a GT3 by now. Maybe in several years once the S4 is paid up then i can consider it as the daily and the GT3 as the next toy... who knows.

Always interesting to hear everyone's story. Different situations for different people for sure. Marriage changes a lot and we do plan to have kids soon so that'll hold any hobbies for a while and introduce a new hobby.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:10 PM
dezigns is infamous around these partsdezigns is infamous around these parts
Bought mine at age 30, married with house and kid on the way in 60 days (don't recommend buying during that last part).

Ill echo what others say, maybe try a Carrera/S first? I DD'd and tracked a 996 Carrera before buying my beast and I appreciated the car that much more. I personally don't recommend them as "first" Porsches, only because I've seen several sold immediately by people who got spooked in them on the track. Not saying that's you, though ;-)

I just traded in an 11 S4 Prestige myself not too long ago, had it for a year. Experience for you will be night/day, assured of that...

Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 PM
onefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to all
In 4 years or so

Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 AM
frayed is infamous around these parts
36 I got my 996 GT3
39 I got my 997 GT3
45 I'll have the 991 GT3

I'd recommend being debt free except for the house when you jump to a car like this. Each I either paid cash or was in a position to pay cash but financed.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 AM
ghst868 is infamous around these parts
I was 22 years old when I got my 997.2 GT3. Previously owned a 2011 Audi S4.
Like previously said, have your finances in place before you buy any car.

I'm pretty sure every GT3 owner has a second car because DD the GT3 is not the most fun and practical. I daily drive mine about 3 days a week and that is enough. Coming from an S4 I can say that the S4 feels faster than the GT3 specially after you tune it. I have tracked both cars and I have to say that doesn't matter what you put on the S4 it will never be as much fun on the track as a GT3.

You can always try to find somebody to take over the lease. I have seen a couple of people on Audizine do that.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:25 AM
997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of997GT3Girly has much to be proud of
I was 32 when I got my GT3

Probably would have got one sooner but I wasn't ready to let go of my Z06's at the time...

Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Wow, a lot of young GT3 owners on this thread. Bravo!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 PM
GR8YTNORTH is infamous around these parts
996 GT3 for my 33'rd B-day! and B8.5 S4 just recently. Be patient your on the right track...

Last edited by GR8YTNORTH; 05-27-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: B8.5
Old 05-27-2013, 10:02 PM
ZANNIS is infamous around these parts
I bought my first bmw at 25 a 330ci coupe. At 26 I bought my first E46 M3 with the smg gearbox. After 2 years I sold it and I bought another e46 m3 with a manual transmission which I currently have and use as dd car. I have 2 boys. The m3 it was always my dream car from the young age . I'm 32 now and I rent. I owe 2.5 years more until I pay off my m3. My second dream car is the Gt3. I can't wait to buy a house and after that to buy the Gt3 and keep my M3 forever

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: When did you get your first GT3?