Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

New Porsche 991 GT3. First Drive. - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Originally Posted by gtr
I was hoping Chris compared this new 991GT3 to the newest GTR since both cars are getting more high tech. Ironic how Porsche have something that may beat the all mighty GTR from something Nissan used on their 300zx decades ago.
Dumbest comment ever. A GTR is a turbo platform and the GT3 is NA. If you want to compare compare the GT2RS to the GTR. Not even close.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:26 AM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TurboDogue
Dumbest comment ever. A GTR is a turbo platform and the GT3 is NA. If you want to compare compare the GT2RS to the GTR. Not even close.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions hence I disagree since I owned both the GT3RS and the GTR. I consider the 991 GT3 and GTR "tech" cars since the GTR has that wicked 4wd system and the new GT3 the rear wheel steering. Both being duel cutch and has traction it's far closer in comparison.

With your thinking comparing anything to the 911 is the "Dumbest comment ever" since the 911 is rear engine.

Like I said I was curious for personal reasons since I'm buying one but your insulting my opinion is uncalled for.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:59 PM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Hey apologize for insulting you. Ypure rifjt inshpuldnt have said dumbest.

But I stand by the comment that a gt3 and a GTR are apples and oranges. Compare the GTR to any other turbo platform 911 and its an apples and apples comparison. If you have both you ought to be able to testify to how diff a turbo motor is to a NA car. My beef was and is that you compare a 300z which is another turbo car as being more advanced than. Gt3. I had that car and also a 911 turbo and neither revved to 8500-9000. So very very diff platforms.

As for PDK and all wheel steering, again the turbo or turbo S are apples with PTV and PDK. If Paddle shifters and all wheel steering were the largest common denominator then you could compare the GTR to a whole host of sedans and Suvs

Old 06-23-2013, 01:59 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
seats

Anyone recognize the seat in the video? Not the passenger seat, obviously. The driver's seat has a different shape and the leather is not continuous from the seat back to the head rest. I didn't notice any part of the video where they show the seat without him sitting in it.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:52 AM
conekilr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
Anyone recognize the seat in the video? Not the passenger seat, obviously. The driver's seat has a different shape and the leather is not continuous from the seat back to the head rest. I didn't notice any part of the video where they show the seat without him sitting in it.
Those look like the seats out of the 918....

Old 06-23-2013, 01:31 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
good call, I think that's it.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Spec is infamous around these parts
He brought up a great point. Longevity. How will the engine hold beyond say 50k or 60k miles.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:18 AM
boostfiend is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TurboDogue
Hey apologize for insulting you. Ypure rifjt inshpuldnt have said dumbest.

But I stand by the comment that a gt3 and a GTR are apples and oranges. Compare the GTR to any other turbo platform 911 and its an apples and apples comparison. If you have both you ought to be able to testify to how diff a turbo motor is to a NA car. My beef was and is that you compare a 300z which is another turbo car as being more advanced than. Gt3. I had that car and also a 911 turbo and neither revved to 8500-9000. So very very diff platforms.
GTR Track pack is a DIRECT competitor to the 991 GT3. Porsche has even said so? Just because one car is N/A and the other is turbo doesn't mean people don't cross shop them.

Originally Posted by Comet
it can shift in 0.0000000000000000001 seconds.. the point is there is no fun ^_^
as for catless exhausts, I highly doubt that would be road legal.
Just buy a GT3RS then problem solved.

Last edited by boostfiend; 06-28-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:31 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boostfiend
GTR Track pack is a DIRECT competitor to the 991 GT3. Porsche has even said so? Just because one car is N/A and the other is turbo doesn't mean people don't cross shop them.
I don't agree with this logic. There is no noticeable difference in performance from the premium (base) trim level GT-R, the Black Edition, and the Track Pack.

Premium - standard everything, options include rear view camera, and CF insert carpets.
Black Edition - same, but with new wheels (weigh about the same), dry CF spoiler ($10k and maybe 1lbs saved weight), and red appointed interior.
Track Pack - difference seats, same wheels and wing as BE, a couple brake ducts, and slightly tuned suspension (VERY slight).

So to say the GT3 should be compared to the GT-R Track Pack, is the essentially the same as comparing it to the base model GT-R. And I don't any correlation, other than price (to the Track Pack). But as soon as you put one option on the GT3, even that disappears.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I don't agree with this logic. There is no noticeable difference in performance from the premium (base) trim level GT-R, the Black Edition, and the Track Pack.

Premium - standard everything, options include rear view camera, and CF insert carpets.
Black Edition - same, but with new wheels (weigh about the same), dry CF spoiler ($10k and maybe 1lbs saved weight), and red appointed interior.
Track Pack - difference seats, same wheels and wing as BE, a couple brake ducts, and slightly tuned suspension (VERY slight).

So to say the GT3 should be compared to the GT-R Track Pack, is the essentially the same as comparing it to the base model GT-R. And I don't any correlation, other than price (to the Track Pack). But as soon as you put one option on the GT3, even that disappears.
Track pack: Back seats deleted no 2+2, Higher spring rates and bilsteins suspension, better seats for tracking, better brake cooling ducts and it's 100lbs lighter. It's not a regular GTR. It's intended for people that track their GTR what more do you want for it to be GT3 direct competition. Stripping out the car more or adding CC brakes and a rollcage isn't going to make it anymore of a GT3 competitor and it's already faster than a GT3 at almost every track tested so far

Last edited by boostfiend; 06-28-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Sfarooq is just really niceSfarooq is just really niceSfarooq is just really niceSfarooq is just really niceSfarooq is just really nice
This whole argument of what cars can and cannot be compared is ridiculous, because no car is an exact comparison to another, since they all vary in options, specs, engines, power-trains, etc (hence the reason for comparison).

Given the cars that we are speaking about comparing, I would wager that a legitimate case can be made for and against why these cars shouldn't be compared; so why not entertain the discussion and gain perspective?

Just my thoughts.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:10 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Track pack: Back seats deleted no 2+2, Higher spring rates and bilsteins suspension, better seats for tracking, better brake cooling ducts and it's 100lbs lighter. It's not a regular GTR. It's intended for people that track their GTR what more do you want for it to be GT3 direct competition. Stripping out the car more or adding CC brakes and a rollcage isn't going to make it anymore of a GT3 competitor and it's already faster than a GT3 at almost every track tested so far
Rear seat delete? If you're actually typing this, it appears that your don't realize that those pads weigh less than an average pillow.

Higher spring rates. ???? By how much. Like I said - slight. The BASE model going all the way back to 2008 (MY2009) has had bilsteins. EVERY GT-R has bilsteins, and brembos, etc... That's the only way they've ever come.
100lbs lighter? Try 20lbs
Stripping out what??? It is FULL INTERIOR, minus the cushions in the back (which was replaced with padding that probably weighs more).
Same damn seats, just have a different material on the surface.

You make it sound like Nissan just made a GT-RS. This is NOTHING like it.

There are a few changes that remove weight in certain places, but nothing that would show any major increase in performance.

Just curious, where do you get your information from?

Last edited by jaspergtr; 06-28-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Rear seat delete? If you're actually typing this, it appears that your don't realize that those pads weigh less than an average pillow.

Higher spring rates. ???? By how much. Like I said - slight. The BASE model going all the way back to 2008 (MY2009) has had bilsteins. EVERY GT-R has bilsteins, and brembos, etc... That's the only way they've ever come.
100lbs lighter? Try 20lbs
Stripping out what??? It is FULL INTERIOR, minus the cushions in the back (which was replaced with padding that probably weighs more).
Same damn seats, just have a different material on the surface.

You make it sound like Nissan just made a GT-RS. This is NOTHING like it.

There are a few changes that remove weight in certain places, but nothing that would show any major increase in performance.

Just curious, where do you get your information from?
They are not the same bilsteins as stock gtr and the spring rates are different as little as 100lb of spring rate can change quite a bit in a car characteristics and handling . I didn't make up the specs it is 49kg lighter than a stock gtr. I said nothing about base gtr not coming with brembos I was just saying if this track pack would come with CC brakes (Carbon Ceramic Brakes) it wouldn't make it any more of a GT3 competitor it is perfectly capable as is. Let's not get ahead of what I said I never said this is not a full blown track package or a GT-RS type of a car. All I'm saying is better brake cooling, 100lbs less especially less weight in the right places, different spring rates and shocks does transform a car quite a bit too say it's just a stock GTR it really isn't. Yes It's no stroked out GTR motor/more power/more hardcore upgrade but it is quite different than a stock GTR that's all if you don't agree so be it no worries but I find it's worthy of it's Track Pack badge.

Back on the Topic of the GT3 being one hell of an awesome car

Last edited by boostfiend; 06-29-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:00 AM
KEYON is infamous around these partsKEYON is infamous around these parts
I hope he does another review of the car..Maybe even compare it to the 997 GT3.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 AM
They are not the same bilsteins as stock gtr and the spring rates are different as little as 100lb of spring rate can change quite a bit in a car characteristics and handling . I didn't make up the specs it is 49kg lighter than a stock gtr. I said nothing about base gtr not coming with brembos I was just saying if this track pack would come with CC brakes (Carbon Ceramic Brakes) it wouldn't make it any more of a GT3 competitor it is perfectly capable as is. Let's not get ahead of what I said I never said this is not a full blown track package or a GT-RS type of a car. All I'm saying is better brake cooling, 100lbs less especially less weight in the right places, different spring rates and shocks does transform a car quite a bit too say it's just a stock GTR it really isn't. Yes It's no stroked out GTR motor/more power/more hardcore upgrade but it is quite different than a stock GTR that's all if you don't agree so be it no worries but I find it's worthy of it's Track Pack badge.

Back on the Topic of the GT3 being one hell of an awesome car
Curb Weight:
Premium - 3829
BE - 3818
Track Pack - 3796

From Nissan - http://www.nissanusa.com/st/nissan/p...Nissan_GTR.pdf

They all have the same brakes. Only GT-R that came standard with CC's is the SpecV (which also had brake ducts on the front).

These cars will inevitably be compared. But some brake ducts on the front, and slight adjustment in spring rates, and a VERY slight weight decrease (more weight could be lost with an exhaust change).

If Nissan wanted to make a track car, they needed more cooling on the transmission and front diff. This has a very similar handicap. So what I'm suggesting is that an individual lap time for all three versions will be nearly identical (if not exactly). I remember when somebody made a comparison saying that the GT-R should be compared to the Turbo, and the Black Edition should be compared to the Turbo S. Never understood that. How much weight difference does a CF wing make over a lightweight plastic one?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Porsche 991 GT3. First Drive. - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS