Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 Order - A few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
991 GT3 Order - A few questions

Hello,

I received an allocation and have a few questions that the dealer cannot answer:

1. Looking for feedback on the lift system (must have or not). My 996 Turbo, on ROW suspension does not drag and my Exige lowered as low as it will go with the track pack only scraps at one retail shop. Any real world experience with this from 997 GT3 owners?

2. Sport Chrono - What does that do in the GT3? It appears to only be timing and has no impact on engine mapping or performance. Any feedback?

3. Paint to sample - My order is a Q2 2014 build (which is perfect for me). I'd like to order last years Aqua Blue. Does anyone know when/if Porsche will allow paint to sample orders?

Thank you in advance for any feedback or ideas!

Roy

Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Must have IMO I. The lift I'd u drive in the city as DD. I'd it's a fun car only you can work around it.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:52 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Have to get ur dealer manager to call Joe West at PCNA to see if they will accept a PTS. Speaking from experience see PTS car below.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Lift? No, weight, and reliability. Checkout the issues the .2 guys have with their systems. If you're used to a lowered car you'll be fine. My .1rs which is lowered even slightly more than stock seldom hits when you approach driveways right. Plus, spoiler lip is easy to replace (and not expensive, for 997 .1/2 cars)

I'd also skip sport chrono. My reading is that it is only a timer for the gt3, unlike the 991s where it changes shift points and gives you launch control

Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Bluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by spyerx
Lift? No, weight, and reliability. Checkout the issues the .2 guys have with their systems. If you're used to a lowered car you'll be fine. My .1rs which is lowered even slightly more than stock seldom hits when you approach driveways right. Plus, spoiler lip is easy to replace (and not expensive, for 997 .1/2 cars)

I'd also skip sport chrono. My reading is that it is only a timer for the gt3, unlike the 991s where it changes shift points and gives you launch control
Weight is only 12 pounds, not an issue. Also placed as low as possible.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Thanks guys. I built two orders, one white car and one if they will allow paint to sample...

I'll post pics when I get it!
Roy

Old 07-01-2013, 03:50 PM
frayed is infamous around these parts
For daily drivers, or quasi daily drivers, the lift is super helpful. I found it to be a PITA cutting over speedbumps at 45 degrees super slow (especially with traffic behind me); same with driveways. This was in both my GT3s. The lift also makes certain places accessible that you simply could not get to otherwise. It's not about the incline, rather the transition.

Since it doesn't weigh much and it's under factor warranty, I'd do it.

My only must have; I'm spec'ing it in my build.

996 Turbo is a 4x4 relative to the GT3. Even though the Exige is low, it has a short front overhang. . . the overhang is the real problem.

Yeah, and the sport chrono is useless.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:42 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
good to see u there t pup. you gave me your speed yellow 996gt3 in 2004 from blue grass porsche!

with regard to lift, i strongly dislike it.
i drive my RS in and out of SF downtown all the time, road is as bad as hell can be. never do i need the lift ( one of my RS has it). and when you DO need it, you WILL forget to use it. and once you scrape lip once, it's scratched up. what' s the point of using the lift next time?

of all my friends who has the lift system, they ALL broke. no exceptions. sure, it's warrantied, but i just dont have the time to bring the car in and out of dealership for a lift system to get fixed.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 AM
mooty you say you've forgetten to use it and once the lip is messed up then what's the point of the lift. I get what you are saying, but I find scraping the lip every day like nails on a chalkboard, even if you did muck it up once. And my driveway at home requires it unless I do the super slow 45 degree angle thing. I'd rather just press a button and back out, drama free.

As for durability, what's breaking on the 997 lifts and is there a chance that Porsche fixed the system in the 991?

Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 AM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by frayed
mooty you say you've forgetten to use it and once the lip is messed up then what's the point of the lift. I get what you are saying, but I find scraping the lip every day like nails on a chalkboard, even if you did muck it up once. And my driveway at home requires it unless I do the super slow 45 degree angle thing. I'd rather just press a button and back out, drama free.

As for durability, what's breaking on the 997 lifts and is there a chance that Porsche fixed the system in the 991?
no prob bro. to each his own. i dont stop for steep driveways b/c most of the time even if i cleared lip, the brake ducts gets scraped up. my fav road near my house has a few strange dips. i know SORT OF where they are, but not exactly and i always time it wrong so my car would airborne 6 - 10 " and come down. so lip, brake ducts are usually 1/2 missing.

with regard to breaking, i dont know what part is broken, but they stop working. you press the button, nada... i sure hope 991 got it figured out..

whatever u order, knowing you, will be stellar.
enjoy and dont listen to me babbling

Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks again for all the feedback!

Mooty - Great to hear from you. Love the white GT3 in your pic! I turned in my order yesterday and went with white as well. I cannot wait to run Road America in the car!

Roy

Old 07-03-2013, 05:19 PM
LOL Mooty. Prolly light spec w/ lift.