Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Success with lithium battery replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Pb8
Pb8 is infamous around these parts
Success with lithium battery replacement?

I've had excellent results using lithium battery in my sport bike. Great way to lose a few pounds!

After searching the forum, some horror stories found on lithium batteries either burning up or going dead (undersized for application).

Any first hand experiences good or bad to share?

Trying to figure out what is the hot ticket.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Trollinger is infamous around these parts
Try this guy. He makes a great product at the right price. No affiliation. Just a happy customer.
www.lithiummoto.com

Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 AM
jbxea1 is infamous around these parts
I have had a Voltphreaks VPR-P6 for several years now with zero issues. It is also a perfect fit for the Rennline battery mount kit. Weight is approximately 6 pounds. Great product.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:47 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
I have had great experience with the Voltphreaks also, their V900 model that I run in my turbo. Have not any issues of overheating with it, even after track days. The turbo draws a lot of power under full throttle, when the secondary injectors kick in and my car is modified with about 650 hp, so the fuel pump has been changed and it pulls a lot current. No issues there either.

The Voltphreaks does come with an on/off switch on the battery with an optional external on/off. That is very useful for me as I don't drive the car that much and I can't plug it in. I have left the car for up to a month and the it still starts. The only issue is when it gets cold. In those situations, you should turn the headlights on for 15-20 seconds which actually warms up the battery enough to get it to start the car on the first crank. Else you may have to crank it a couple of times.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
I've been running a Lithium Pros L925 in my GT3 for over 2 years now (daily driven) with no problems. Left it parked for 1-2 weeks at a time while I was traveling and it's always fired up on first try upon return. Fits great with the off the shelf Rennline battery kit for the Porsche as well.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Pb8
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated! I think I'd lean to oversizing the battery just in case.

Love the Rennline battery mount, looks awesome.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Pb8
Found this on Voltphreaks site:

Lithium batteries could be incompatible with some (not all) Porsche GT cars. We have heard from some customers that their GT's alternator may not maintain the right voltage to charge a lithium battery. We are not aware of any other cars that show this behavior.
Almost all car alternators maintain 14V to 14.6V to properly charge the car's battery, and this is what the Voltphreaks battery expects. Some Porsche GT's undercharge their lead-acid batteries, this is not compatible with the more efficient lithium batteries. Below 13V, a lead-acid battery will be partially charged, but a lithium battery will be barely charged. If purchasing a Voltphreaks battery for a Porsche GT2 or GT3 (or if you suspect your car's voltage may be incompatible), measure the voltage with engine on (so alternator is supplying power) first to insure compatibility. Voltage at idle should be around 14-14.6V. This likely only applies to Porsche GT's, as we have not encountered this issue with other cars including other Porsches.

Need to measure what voltage my alternator is putting out.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:23 AM
nizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to allnizer is a name known to all
Running Porsche's lithium battery. It's a beast. Love it.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:11 AM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
Looks like the main players are:

OEM
Braille
Lithiummoto
Lithiumpro
Voltphreaks

Anyone got feedback good or bad on these? Price varies wildly especially as it looks like all the cells come from China.

Cheers
Jay

Old 07-18-2013, 05:54 AM
Call the guy at Lithiummoto and get some expert advice. He is a small business person and can give you the straight story on how all these are basically the same the only difference is price. aka markup and the size of the hole in your wallet. He knows each of the brands to some extent and can talk about their features. He does this stuff for a living and knows about the science.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:12 AM
ur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to allur20v is a name known to all
I have been in contact with all including Anthony at lithiummoto. Also view their web site and videos.

Exploring options at the moment but will purchase next week.

Thanks
Jay

Old 07-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Good luck. Post your final decision and why when you can.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:54 AM
Shedkept is infamous around these parts
Lithium batteries are quite sensitive to charging technique. A friend has had some experience with his Carrera GT. It has not been all positive. (no pun)

Old 07-21-2013, 01:56 PM
paver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud of
Using a voltphreaks vpr-p6 in my gt3 now for almost a year. It's a good product and the service at voltphreaks is good too.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:50 PM
paver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud of
Additional info on the Voltphreaks. I just went out to look in my GT3. The remote wouldn't unlock the door. I opened it by putting the key in the door. No lights came on so the battery is dead. That's when I noticed that I had left my Dual external GPS plugged in to the 12V power point for over a week without starting the car.

I pushed the button to turn the Voltphreaks battery back on. Car started up instantly as if I had run it two hrs ago.

The battery's shutoff/reserve power feature worked perfectly. Pretty cool stuff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Success with lithium battery replacement?