Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997.1 GT3 - my 22nd Porsche since 1972

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM
JackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud of
Thanks again for the good info, definitely will try that method. I'd like to keep the H&R's in place if possible as I'm pleased with the firm but reasonably comfy ride and handling. This is strictly a street car and while I'm super careful to avoid pranging the spoiler lip, it's inevitable at the current "slammed" ride height.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:59 PM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
997 GT3 and RS will scrape because of the low overhanging front end. Might want to consider purchasing a couple of extra front lips as they all scrape. Other option would be the more flexible CUP lips available with or without brake ducts. They hang @1" lower but, designed to flex more than OEM factory lip.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
JackB911

Your run of Porsches is interesting. I am looking at an 07 GT3 and if I take it it will be Porsche #23. Mine started with a 70T after getting out of the Army Dec 69.

Nice looking GT3.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 PM
JackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud ofJackB911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Alan C.
JackB911

Your run of Porsches is interesting. I am looking at an 07 GT3 and if I take it it will be Porsche #23. Mine started with a 70T after getting out of the Army Dec 69.

Nice looking GT3.
Thanks, Alan, I appreciate the props. My first Porsche was a '66 (1965 build) 912 that I bought at Brumos when I lived in Jacksonville. My first three regular cars were Corvairs so becoming interested in Porsches was a natural progression. I remember seeing a new '67 911S at an auto show when I was in college and I was hooked before ever driving one. I went in the Army in '70, so yes, our paths have been similar for sure.

I wasn't a fan of the newer Porsches until I drove the GT3. I had an almost new 996 in 2001 and hated it, I sold it after 3 months. An early Boxster I had before that was OK but underpowered. Even though I'm an old geezer (64), I still prefer an edgy, harder core Porsche than most. I am in love with my GT3, it's just freaking amazing on every level.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Update - Since the last post, I removed the red side stripes. I was going to replace them with black or silver ones but I prefer the clean, no-stripes look for now.

At a recent visit to Goldcrest Motorsports, the too-low (for my driveway) ride height was raised 20mm, the TPMS was deactivated, the car was aligned and corner balanced and since the car was already on a lift I had them install the Fabspeed center muffler bypass that came with the car. What a perfect exhaust note now, definitely louder but not annoying, zero drone and in Sport mode....O-M-G!! I am beyond thrilled. And Goldcrest gets my highest possible recommendation. Those guys are the best. When the car budget permits, it'll go back there to have the coolant pipes welded as a precaution since this is most likely my "forever" Porsche unless I find an equally clean orange .1 RS that I can afford.

The next update will be a pair of new rear Michelins and when it warms up here, out come the jackstands for an oil change and a proper wheels-off undercarriage/inner fenders cleanup and detail. Clean cars run better, ya' know...

I apologize for the horrid camera work in this recent pic, but here's what it looked like just before it went to Goldcrest.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ab1453b1-bf0b-4034-86d8-b2e4c221a915_zps7108f2e9.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	331518  

Last edited by JackB911; 02-10-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:13 PM
FLAT6KING is infamous around these partsFLAT6KING is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JackB911
Back to the GT3...my "to do" list for now...I was an aircraft mechanic in my Army days and still like to turn wrenches... - Oil change - Replace the scuffed front spoiler lip - Suncoast appears to have the best price on an OEM one - Have the TPMS deactivated - at Goldcrest Motorsports, hopefully, as they are close by - Do a thorough "wheels off" detail job. I don't do concours any more but I like a clean car Later on I want to get the coolant pipes welded (Goldcrest) and decide what to do with the exhaust. The car came with a new, in-the-box Fabspeed rear muffler delete but I don't like the Miami Vice tips it came with. I much prefer the simple, large outlet RSS tip I put on the stock muffler but it won't work on the Fabspeed. If cost wasn't an object (it is...) I'd LOVE to have a M&M rear muffler with side deletes. There is SO much heat coming off those side mufflers! So right now I'm undecided on the exhaust situation. Springs - The H&R's on the car are great from a ride and handling perspective but the car sits lower than is sensible for street driving so I may try to source some stock springs. But I can buy 4 or 5 spoiler lips for what a spring swap and a proper alignment will cost. I can't think of anything else it needs at the moment.
I live in Atlanta and I can attest to Goldcrest Mototsports, those guys are awesome. I love your 87! The trading concept is very unique to. Establishing equal value for the car and then trading is very fair. Visitation rights is a lovely bonus. Maybe I will see you at the shop! Enjoy in good health!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 PM
michaelm is infamous around these partsmichaelm is infamous around these parts
Looking good Jack! I just picked up a 2007 GT3 myself, black on black. My second P-car. Sold my 993TT about 6 years ago. I'm loving this car, such a thrill to drive, I feel so connected. Just did a muffler bypass, and have some wheels being built for me now. I see myself having this one for a while.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:05 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Congrats. Enjoy her in good health.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Swiss_Aussie is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the car Jack, nice looking ride indeed. Good to see the passion still runs in your veins for P cars. I hope I'm the same by the time I get to retirement..

Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Swiss_Aussie
Congrats on the car Jack, nice looking ride indeed. Good to see the passion still runs in your veins for P cars. I hope I'm the same by the time I get to retirement..
I appreciate the kind words. I suppose I'm very immature for my age...as my daughter says "It's just a number!"

Old 02-10-2014, 10:54 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
I like the clean look Jack. Maybe it's my vintage (age 59 chronologically- not necessarily in car-enthusiast years), but I like them uncluttered and stripe-less, especially for the street. So, I think you made the right decision there. Love those wheels too!

Last edited by DLJ; 02-10-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by michaelm
Looking good Jack! I just picked up a 2007 GT3 myself, black on black. My second P-car. Sold my 993TT about 6 years ago. I'm loving this car, such a thrill to drive, I feel so connected. Just did a muffler bypass, and have some wheels being built for me now. I see myself having this one for a while.
Congrats on coming over to the dark side! I just picked up a Sharky bypass from a RL member and should be delivered this week. Hoping for some DIY time to do the install this spring before The Bug Eater gets back on the road. I waited 9 years between Pcars, so I remember how good it felt to get back into the saddle, especially into one of these.
Just remember, no pics it never happened...

Last edited by DLJ; 02-10-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 PM
trek737 has a spectacular aura abouttrek737 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JackB911
Update -

Nice job with your GT3! I have seen some 911's with stripes that went well with the car, but the red ones on yours did not really do it for me. It looks great in it's all white state.

Congrats...

Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Turbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really niceTurbohead is just really nice
Originally Posted by Alan C.
JackB911

Nice looking GT3.
I'm on #24 Pcar since 1971 !

It is a 07 GT3 very heavily optioned,Concours winner, which I will put on the market soon since I just got notice of my 991 GT3 allotment coming up.That will #25 …What a country !

pm me if you can wait a little for my GT3 I'll send you details and pics
BTW it is the best P car I ever had .
Elliot

Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 PM
gt3forever is infamous around these parts
your gt3 looks amazing. love the color as well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 - my 22nd Porsche since 1972