Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Autocross

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:07 PM
fayence has a spectacular aura aboutfayence has a spectacular aura aboutfayence has a spectacular aura about
Question Autocross

Anyone autocross their GT? I'm planning on starting next month.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:36 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Paul,
u're nuts!

btw, anyone buy BOBA with their GT?

Old 08-15-2005, 01:59 AM
Ryan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to all
Doesnt autoXing void warranty?

---edit

If not,tell me if your going to the Q becuase I sure as hell wanna watch/hear ..and maybe video

Old 08-15-2005, 07:43 AM
julianBC has a reputation beyond reputejulianBC has a reputation beyond reputejulianBC has a reputation beyond reputejulianBC has a reputation beyond reputejulianBC has a reputation beyond reputejulianBC has a reputation beyond reputejulianBC has a reputation beyond reputejulianBC has a reputation beyond reputejulianBC has a reputation beyond reputejulianBC has a reputation beyond reputejulianBC has a reputation beyond repute
I've never seen it, but that doesn't mean it cant be done! Would they be a little too big to autox? I remember someone saying they autox their lambo but its just too big to do very well. But then again, who cares how you do, your driving a CGT!

Old 08-15-2005, 11:26 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by 20C4S
Paul,
u're nuts!

btw, anyone buy BOBA with their GT?
I bought BOBA with my XKR back in the summer of 99.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
The Q has some violent water run off areas. I think you might want to watch out for the front end. Also, the courses are so small you'll have a hard time really getting the car into any real decent speeds. I would think you'd head to Willow Springs, Button Willow, and California Speedway.

You'll certainly be the center of attention at the autocross.

Think about the big tracks

Old 08-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Brian Haske is infamous around these partsBrian Haske is infamous around these parts
I've autocrossed for years, before I could spend the $ on goin to the track. I don't know, I think I'm autocrossed out. Its a great way to learn car control at lower speeds, then they can be used at high speed / track. I definately think getting the autocrossing down before going to the track is a great idea, although its boring to sit there all day for what..... 6 actual minutes of "race" time......

Old 08-16-2005, 01:48 PM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
AutoX is the safest environment to learn limits of the car... These cars are meant to be driven - not simply worshiped. I'd say go for it, but to learn the car, not to compete.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:19 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Ditto what Ken and Metalsolid said. Also, I'd add that one of the best things you can do to get used to handling a car is to spend time on a skidpad. Streets of Willow has one, and if you go on a POC time trial wknd, you'll get to use it. I'm sure there are other op's to use it too with other clubs. In addition to the basics of shifting, braking, steering and line selection education through autocross, getting the hang of balancing your car with throttle and steering wheel on a skidpad is absolutely priceless. Your safety will be greatly enhanced of course, but for a driver to know his/her car's balance at the adhesion limit is perhaps the most valuable experience to garner.

As for autocross, it's cheap, so try to pay up for two sessions if they'll let you. That way, you'll get to run twice as many laps and the dollars are still miniscule. Of course, you'll have to **** cones on the course for two sessions too, but that's not a big deal.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
Come on down to the Q on Sept 10 and have some fun.
Gotta be a PCA member to AX.
Last Saturdays track was great and fast too...ran out of revs in second on my S and was in in third in two places.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:34 PM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
Right on, MetalSolid!

AutoX is the best way to learn car control. A buddy of mine and I are AutoX co-chairs for our region and we recently went out to Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit. It is affectionately known as "the ring" because it is a 2.5 mi version of the Nurburgring. Let me tell you, the AutoX guys kicked ***. Derek and I were the fastest in the White Group by far. The regular track guys weren't used to 17 turns, a 30 degree banked turn and slidin' the car around. Check it out //www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

There's no better way to learn your car, and if you think we don't go fast, come on out to Maryland and I'll take you for a ride!!! Our autoX is over 1 mile long. You just need to find a good lot!

With such a nice ride you should tape up the wheel wells and the front bumper edge.

I have lots of good track and autox videos - anyone know where i can post them?

Attached Images  

Last edited by racerjsz; 08-16-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned
Life Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud ofLife Dies has much to be proud of
Auto-x made me feel like I was a closterphobic fat kid in a triathlon. I need more room than a parkinglot divided by cones to call it a good time. Sorry... I became extreemly bored of it my first day.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:48 PM
racerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to beholdracerjsz is a splendid one to behold
Here's another high speed 3 wheel shot

Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
The beauty of the Q in San Diego is that our tracks average 1 - 1.3 miles, but the best part is that the Q is not flat, so we have uphill, downhill and corners that are flat, on-camber and off-camber.
Nothing beats a long straight that ends in a downhill off-camber right hand turn.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by Life Dies
Auto-x made me feel like I was a closterphobic fat kid in a triathlon. I need more room than a parkinglot divided by cones to call it a good time. Sorry... I became extreemly bored of it my first day.
I'm with Chris. And in a CGT that is really going to be multiplied even with the tracks PCA sets up at the Q.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Autocross