Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

unconfirmed: Paul Walker killed in CGT crash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:55 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Too Beaucoup
So the coroner is now an accident investigator too?

I'm waiting for ecm data.
I've seen that show before... CSI, right? They also interrogate suspects, and search people's homes.

Pretty cool job. Who knew that one person could do all of that? But - they aren't really needed, I mean - we have facebook.com. What else should we expect in the court of public opinion?

Old 01-04-2014, 02:30 PM
4npower has a spectacular aura about4npower has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Too Beaucoup
So the coroner is now an accident investigator too? I'm waiting for ecm data.

I think that 15 page report will include that information once it is released to the public.

""For unknown reasons, the driver lost control of the vehicle, and the vehicle partially spun around, and began to travel in a southeast direction," the coroner's report said. "The vehicle then struck a sidewalk and the driver's side of the vehicle struck a tree and then a light post. The force of those collisions caused the vehicle to spin 180 degrees, and it continued to travel in an easterly direction. The passenger side of the vehicle then struck a tree and the vehicle burst into flames."

This quote above from the article, is definitely not information a Coroner is able make.

"Investigators from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department met with engineers from Porsche to analyze the data-retrieval system in the car's computer, the department said last month. That system is used to shed light on the car's speed, throttle opening, air bag deployment, seat belt use and, possibly, other information from the time of the crash."

Now this quote, would be from the accident investigators which leads me to believe they know that the car was going more then a 100 mph, but aren't releasing anything else at this point until the full report is released. I'm not sure if we will ever know exactly what happened, say like if the steering system failed, because the car was so badly burnt. If say a steering line or brake line burst, causing the car to crash, I would think there would be fluid on the road before the crash scene. But if something failed on the car, say like a small tire blowout, I don't think the cars computer would be able to show that. Like I said, we may never know EXACTLY what happened.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Speed to blame. Crash investigators estimate the vehicle was doing 81-94mph when it began to drift coming out of the curve:

http://www.mercurynews.com/movies-dv...l-walker-crash

Not mechanical problems. There was never any doubt speed was a major factor.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:24 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Speed to blame. Crash investigators estimate the vehicle was doing 81-94mph when it began to drift coming out of the curve:

http://www.mercurynews.com/movies-dv...l-walker-crash

Not mechanical problems. There was never any doubt speed was a major factor.
Originally Posted by article
LOS ANGELES -- Crash investigators have determined that the Porsche carrying "Fast & Furious" star Paul Walker was traveling approximately 90 mph when it lost control on a California street and smashed into a light pole, killing the actor and his friend.
A person who has reviewed the investigators' report told The Associated Press on Tuesday that it concluded unsafe driving, not mechanical problems, caused the crash. The person requested anonymity because the report has not been officially released.
The report says driver Roger Rodas was going between 81 mph and 94 mph when his 2005 Porsche Carrera GT began to drift as it lost control after coming out of a curve.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and California Highway Patrol did the investigation. Neither commented on report's findings Tuesday.
There is something missing. I doubt that these 'experts' have driven a CGT.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:54 PM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
There is something missing. I doubt that these 'experts' have driven a CGT.
They also disclosed that the tires on the car were the originals...9 years old. As was brought up before, many owneres have stated that the old style to new is a night and day difference. Let alone a set that is at over twice the proper age replacement.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
"Porsche sent engineers to California to review the rare car's wreckage. Though it was badly mangled and burned, the engineers were able to do a thorough analysis. They found no problems with the car's electrical systems, brakes, throttle, fuel system, steering, suspension or other systems."

"Post-crash investigators noted several issues with the condition of the car, which had several prior owners, including IndyCar driver Graham Rahal:

—Its original exhaust system had been modified in a way that could allow it to go faster, but also could have been done to change its sound.

—Its tires were about nine years old; the owner's manual suggests changing the tires after four years.

—Its left rear brake rotor was worn below manufacturer specifications, but that did not contribute to the crash."

Old 03-26-2014, 05:29 AM
FLAT6KING is infamous around these partsFLAT6KING is infamous around these parts
That's the second time I heard that newly designed tires like Mich SSP Cup 2 makes the CGT way better.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:08 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Not surprised at all about the speed, but shocked that two experienced racers would drive a car with tires that old (and worn), much less at high speed. Certainly wasn't a cost-issue for these two, so really makes you wonder what the heck they were thinking... and whether the shop that serviced the car ever advised them to change the tires (though again, even a casual track day guy knows how important tires are to a high performance vehicle).

Old 03-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the car was serviced by the drivers shop

Old 03-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by AudiBull
They also disclosed that the tires on the car were the originals...9 years old. As was brought up before, many owneres have stated that the old style to new is a night and day difference. Let alone a set that is at over twice the proper age replacement.
Missed that.
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
"Porsche sent engineers to California to review the rare car's wreckage. Though it was badly mangled and burned, the engineers were able to do a thorough analysis. They found no problems with the car's electrical systems, brakes, throttle, fuel system, steering, suspension or other systems."

"Post-crash investigators noted several issues with the condition of the car, which had several prior owners, including IndyCar driver Graham Rahal:

—Its original exhaust system had been modified in a way that could allow it to go faster, but also could have been done to change its sound.

—Its tires were about nine years old; the owner's manual suggests changing the tires after four years.

—Its left rear brake rotor was worn below manufacturer specifications, but that did not contribute to the crash."
So wait - PORSCHE said that the PORSCHE wasn't mechanically at fault? I could have saved everybody a lot of headaches and told you they would say that. There is absolutely no way in hell a company would step in - with the entire world watching (yes, Paul Walker made this tragic event extremely popular), and say,"Yup. My bad." (see: Chevy and Toyota about lesser known tragedies, and how to cover up mistakes)

And secondly - exhaust can make a difference as to whether or not the vehicle could catch on fire if in a wreck? Obviously not - so this should not be an 'issue'.

Curious about the tires.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:22 PM
I just can't believe that either one of these guys, whom both I would consider drivers at the professional level, would drive a car like the CGT, further then a trailer to a parking spot, with tires that were 9 years old, let alone drive it at those speeds. Did this car never receive any service from a competent Porsche dealer in 9 years, that would most definitely advise to have them replaced after a certain amount of time? To me, tires seem like a very rookie like thing to miss or overlook on a car like this. Hell, the tires on my car trailer get replaced every few years regardless of the amount of use.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:02 PM
FLAT6KING is infamous around these partsFLAT6KING is infamous around these parts
Let's play the assumption game. Maybe they got the car from a person that treated it as a trailer queen. They may only take it out for special occasions. It was Paul's car I believe, so his schedule is hectic and he just drives it on occasion. His shop is not a ASE type of place so they did not catch the rotor thing. What I can't rationalize is the old tires. I originally thought the cause if the skid was dust due to the location. Low grip+ old rubber+big CGT power=crash.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Not surprised at all about the speed, but shocked that two experienced racers would drive a car with tires that old (and worn), much less at high speed. Certainly wasn't a cost-issue for these two, so really makes you wonder what the heck they were thinking... and whether the shop that serviced the car ever advised them to change the tires (though again, even a casual track day guy knows how important tires are to a high performance vehicle).
On the other hand, "Hey I need to replace these tires, let's go do some burnounts or drifts before I do." is a common idea.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
On the other hand, "Hey I need to replace these tires, let's go do some burnounts or drifts before I do." is a common idea.

I agree, and that's probably what I would have done as well. Just not at 90mph. Out in front of the shop, at the Charity event would have been perfect. We probably would have had some nice youtube videos instead of 2 dead guys and a mangled car

Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 AM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: unconfirmed: Paul Walker killed in CGT crash