Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

unconfirmed: Paul Walker killed in CGT crash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Rolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the roughRolled_Out is a jewel in the rough
Page 4 of this thread has some very awesome & valid points. You guys hit every nail on the head here from the way the car is built, to cold tires, to the unforgiving CGT. You have to think that they WERE killed on impact & before the fire which is better than burning alive. When rescuers had gotten to them, they both still had there seatbelts on, so if they WERE alive, im sure the first thing they would have tried to do was take off there own seatbelts. Also yes, supercars like this are meant to break in half upon heavy impact. The cabin is heavily re-inforced to protect the passengers as well. Think back to the Ferrari Enzo racing on the PCH in 2006, the Lambo Aventador in New York 2 months ago as well. Here's a link to the video of the crash. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-New-York.html

Also, I found this video and it shows just how unforgiving the Carrera GT is. 5 full minutes of CGT accidents. Its true that the traction control in this car is almost non existent. I know 2 ppl w/ CGT's & it is very true that this car needs to be babied just a little more than the rest for some reason. It really is way,WAY too easy to lose control of this car, even with the BEST of drivers, as proven yesterday with Paul Walker & his racecar champion friend Roger Rodas behind the wheel...... Here's a video to CGT crashes.

RIP PAUL & ROGER & GOD BLESS.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lamborghini-Crash.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	307055  

Last edited by Rolled_Out; 12-02-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:02 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
I did not know Paul but his vibe through movies was a very cool and sweet natured man. This is sad news indeed and my prayers to his daughter, family and friends. RIP

Old 12-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TYE
Very sad video, but it's good to know there was a group of people that tried to get him out, in contrast to that other video

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_w9es8yr6/

As for others mentioning the tree, the intial impact would be with the curb which probably launched the car airborn some and it knocked through a lightpost first before hitting the tree. If you google street view where the incident occurred (28300 rye canyon loop valencia ca) and go up the road (hercules street) you can see the lightposts are significantly thicker than the trees, and while they are designed to break way, initial impact would be significant.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	106d85t.jpg
Views:	2767
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	307069   Click image for larger version

Name:	2dnz41.jpg
Views:	5208
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	307070  
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
Unrelated, but does anyone here remember when Jay Leno almost perished in his CGT? I believe he was coming down the straight away at Daytona or Homestead doing the better part of 190mph, when suddenly the car broke traction and began spinning violently 5-6x down the front straight.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 AM
ROD
ROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud of
Very sad, RIP.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:29 AM
4npower has a spectacular aura about4npower has a spectacular aura about
CNN just ran the story on TV and said the Police got a few tips over the weekend saying that they might have been racing another car and either that car, or another car veered in front of the CGT. They also showed marks in the street near the crash scene where a car was doing donuts in the middle of the street. They said that strip of road is a known street racing spot which leads me to believe the donut marks could be from any car. Also, as far as the tips the police are getting, they could be complete bull5h1t as well. I'm sure it's possible that idiots out there could be just trying to spread bad information. I guess as time goes, we'll learn more about exactly what happened.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/02/showbi...html?hpt=hp_c2

Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Now things start to get interesting....

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/02/paul-w...on-fluid-leak/

Old 12-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by 4npower
Now things start to get interesting....

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/02/paul-w...on-fluid-leak/
Yep, as I assumed. Here come the recriminations and finger pointing.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3992152

Old 12-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
I'm sure it's going to take accident investigators a week or more to determine a cause for this crash. They're going to have to reconstruct the crash from beginning to end. It will be difficult because there is very little left of the vehicle so they'll most likely go on information recovered from the "black box", physical evidence on the roadway and witness statements. A few comments up said there was fluid on the roadway citing possible steering fluid. Or it could have been brake fluid. It was also reported that there were no braking skid marks until just before impact with the tree. If the CGT had lost braking ability, it's possible that the driver applied the emergency brake to scuff off speed which caused these skids. Determining speed-from-skid will not be an accurate measurement in this incident. Reports also say there are "donut" skid marks in the area of the crash. I'm sure they will take rubber samples from the roadway to make comparison with the tires on the CGT. It was also reported that the CGT only had about 3200 miles on the odo making this a 200 miles a year car. For the life of me I cannot see an owner of a CGT abusing his vehicle doing donuts.

I did not know of the CGT's reputation for being unsafe in a crash but from the outcome of this crash it appears to me that speed played a major part in this crash.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:43 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
abusing?

Old 12-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Yes, in my opinion abusing.

Also checked google maps and you can see, where Hercules and Constellation meet, there are donut marks that look like the ones shown on tv.

https://maps.google.com/

Old 12-02-2013, 11:08 AM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Christian
law of physics, something moving at extreme speed hits a poll its going to destroy it, i dont care who designed it
But look at the Enzo. A few years back didn't an Enzo crash at +170mph and the occupant survived with minor injuries!!!?? The engine and ****pit separated allowing the driver to survive. Isn't the CGT designed in a similar fashion!!??

Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Pors-Vette
Also checked google maps and you can see, where Hercules and Constellation meet, there are donut marks that look like the ones shown on tv.

I could leave my house right now and within 5 minutes post a picture of donut marks that look exactly like the ones on tv so I don't think they have anything to do with that car or what they were doing before the accident. The marks they showed on tv, looked like they came from car or truck with tires at least half(or more) of the size of CGT tires. Plus they looked like they were from a car that had no TC,(or had it turned off) along with no kind of limited slip differential meaning they weren't consistently dark or light from the left side to the right side at the same position.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 AM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mousecatcher
Well, racecars are only safe on racetracks.. Just as an example, a full roll cage in a street car is a very bad and unsafe idea

A street car at high speed is dangerous, racecar origins or not. I shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks for pointing out the rear subframe attachment. All mid engine monocoque cars are designed this way and they all will split in half given the correct type of impact. It probably contributed to the fire, but perhaps not to the deaths. Hard to say yet without more info.

It's unfortunate that it was a side impact, that is historically and certainly in 2005 (even in pure racecars) a weak spot, so to speak, in accident safety.
Please explain.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Flyfalcons is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by blackbull
But look at the Enzo. A few years back didn't an Enzo crash at +170mph and the occupant survived with minor injuries!!!?? The engine and ****pit separated allowing the driver to survive. Isn't the CGT designed in a similar fashion!!??
There are so many variables to consider in each different impact that one simply cannot say "well this guy survived at X speed so why didn't this other guy?".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: unconfirmed: Paul Walker killed in CGT crash