Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

unconfirmed: Paul Walker killed in CGT crash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:20 AM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
^^ Point taken!

Old 12-02-2013, 11:25 AM
stef430 has a spectacular aura aboutstef430 has a spectacular aura about
Absolute speed is less of an issue than what they hit, how and when - by that I mean it they hit the curb at 20 mph and launched into the pole at a certain angle and were knocked out, there was very little chance of survival - Arguably, going head on into a wall at 90 mph would have been survivable - and so would have been bitting the curb at 10 mph - or maybe 50 mph with a slightly different steering angle - again, so many factors - .... So Sad......

Old 12-02-2013, 11:26 AM
4npower has a spectacular aura about4npower has a spectacular aura about
^^^I don't see any way that a Roll Cage could be a bad or unsafe idea in a street car. The only way, would be if the cage wasn't properly installed or if it was made out of poor materials which in that case I could see a sidebar going through someones chest after a side impact or something similar, but like I said, the cause would be from poor installation(someone that can't weld) or from using substandard materials(10 pt cage from ebay for $99 then having uncle Bubba weld it to the floorboards).

Old 12-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Falcon7x is infamous around these parts
I believe that other guy just did, so you sir are wrong! Nah, I could not resist. Yes, this is just like my safety policy when on motorcycles. Yes, I could hit a wall at 100MPH and die in a titanium suit....BUT....there are TONS of way to crash. Good gear can save me in MANY of them, so I dress to survive the highest number of possible crashes, hoping that if I do crash, it's one I'm prepared for. Folks have crashed with no gear and walked away too.

Originally Posted by Flyfalcons
one simply cannot say "well this guy survived at X speed so why didn't this other guy?".

Last edited by Falcon7x; 12-02-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 AM
There are so many variables to consider in each different impact that one simply cannot say "well this guy survived at X speed so why didn't this other guy?".

Exactly!! That's why when it's all said and done, even the professionals can only assume what happened. There is truly, no way to recreate or know exactly what happened in an accident like this one. You would have to have 1000's of sensors attached to every part of the car to know exactly what was going on at that time.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Flyfalcons is infamous around these parts
D'oh, okay "one simply shouldn't say....."

Old 12-02-2013, 11:44 AM
ROD
ROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 4npower
^^^I don't see any way that a Roll Cage could be a bad or unsafe idea in a street car. The only way, would be if the cage wasn't properly installed or if it was made out of poor materials which in that case I could see a sidebar going through someones chest after a side impact or something similar, but like I said, the cause would be from poor installation(someone that can't weld) or from using substandard materials(10 pt cage from ebay for $99 then having uncle Bubba weld it to the floorboards).
Because you can hit your head on a bar.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
There is a lot of unnecessary conjecture and misinformation posted in this thread which requires some response...members should be concerned about the families left behind by both individuals and not be engaged in speculation or trying to place any blame....the facts are the service at GMG was done more than a year ago...since then the car has been to Florida and back, had a few owners, and was most recently serviced at Rogers shop AP...so if you don't know the facts please don't speculate...may both gentleman rest in peace and our regrets to the family members and friends

Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM
GoldenPEPPA is infamous around these parts
I don't want to belabor the point...

But stop driving cars like a dick on public roads. Need to get your adrenaline fix? Try organized competitive driving... go to a track day...

They're just lucky a pedestrian wasn't sipping a gatorade under one of those trees.

About 1 year ago I was driving out to Sedona Az from the LA area, around Palm Springs some jerk in a lowered VW flies by us at around 100-110 cutting in and out of traffic... I got the "spidey sense" and backed off the gas as he passed me. About 10-15 seconds later I see the glare of rotating and reflecting paint... moron hit the tail end of someones car and spun and played center divider pinball.

Give it a rest...

Last edited by GoldenPEPPA; 12-02-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:03 PM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
yes, he was likely speeding (hasnt been proven yet), no one knows if he was driving like a dick or not, this isnt some 17 year old kid with no driving skills in the middle of heavy traffic though

Old 12-02-2013, 12:13 PM
GoldenPEPPA is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by buzzm
yes, he was likely speeding (hasnt been proven yet), no one knows if he was driving like a dick or not, this isnt some 17 year old kid with no driving skills in the middle of heavy traffic though
yeah I know... I'm a little bit sensitive to it as I was heavily involved in 1980's street racing culture and in retrospect am happy to be alive. Driving fast on an uncontrolled surface/location is dangerous and might not only kill you... but maybe your best friend the movie star or a perfect stranger.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:25 PM
D'oh, okay "one simply shouldn't say....."
NOW you are correct!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Explanation?

Thoughts?

"Here is also a full explanation from Jason Robinson on Facebook:

This happened at a business park located in Rye Canyon near Santa Clarita, California.

During a car show that Paul was using to support his charity “Reach Out Worldwide”, Paul and Roger Rodas (The Owner) of Always Evolving Performance, where the event was held decided to take his red Porsche for a spin.

They left the AEP parking lot turning right onto Alta Vista Ave. They then turned right onto Constellation Rd, and then right again onto Kelly Johnson Pkwy where the driver began testing the limits of the Porsche.

Northbound Kelly Johnson Pkwy has a small s curve and a wide sweeping right turn that turns into Hercules St. This business park loop is infamous for drivers using it as a race track and the “Hercules Curve” is where they test their drifting skills.

Paul and Roger’s speed was far too fast into the curve and the car’s rear end kicked out toward the driver side. The driver then over corrected and the passenger side rear end kicked out to the passenger side.

Sliding sideways at high speed, the car hit a light pole directly on the passenger door where Paul was sitting and the car was split/wrapped around the pole.

The fire was a result of the initial impact with the pole, as the force of the impact tore open pressurized fuel lines and the fuel tank, throwing burning gasoline all over the vehicle. The car continued to burn as it came to a sliding stop on a small tree."

http://thesupercarkids.com/what-caus...gt-to-explode/

Old 12-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Stuck in car?

What are the odds that they panicked and failed to remove seat belts? You know like the crook who got trapped in bank because he was pushing a pull door. Not thinking straight. Or like a person who struggles to dial 911 in a panic. Drops phone, hits wrong digits...

Do you feel the restraints are sufficiently easy to remove even if you are freaking out? Another example, I'm sure somebody has died thinking they were stuck in the car when they just had to remove belt, but they somehow did not make the connection. The only thought was get out FAST!

Only thing is for BOTH of them to do this and with both having race experience. It's really leading back to them being unconscious but how? The restraints are serious in that car. What would knock them out?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Falcon7x
Do you feel the restraints are sufficiently easy to remove even if you are freaking out? Another example, I'm sure somebody has died thinking they were stuck in the car when they just had to remove belt, but they somehow did not make the connection. The only thought was get out FAST!

I'm not familiar with the exact restrains in the CGT because I've never owned one, but usually with 5 point systems, they are easy to remove with only one button to push which would release all 5 points.

Originally Posted by Falcon7x
It's really leading back to them being unconscious but how? The restraints are serious in that car. What would knock them out?

The impact alone probably killed them instantly. By looking at the accident pictures, they probably died before the fire got to them
I could only imagine their last 5 seconds...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: unconfirmed: Paul Walker killed in CGT crash