Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why I don't buy a CGT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 01:52 PM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
This is an emotional purchase; if you can apply reason to buying a "Supercar" then it's not a Supercar. The Carrera GT is a genuine Supercar -- by contrast the SLR is just another fast Benz.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:57 PM
lexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the roughlexpro is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by ZLP
I do not know what the reasoning is making a post pretty much knocking the car. Many people own CGT's here and have spent considerable amounts of money on them and just because you couldn't justify spending the money, others could. IMHO making this thread was in poor taste...
I disagree. This is a post that insulted no one, but dispassionately gave the poster's rationale for his decision. I thought it was a very informative post.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:03 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
I will not surprise anyone that I hardily agree with your comments except for #11. I am a huge fan of convertibles.

The price of the car will continue to spiral downward for the following reasons;

1. Like most exotic cars maintenance and repairs are horribly expensive. Parts will come at a premium and good labor will be hard to find since the car will be out of production. I suppose tis argument would apply equally to the Enzo, SLR and Zanda but they for now command above MSRP prices. There is a built in financial respect for Ferrari's and MB. Porsche's are known for their horrendous depreciation and the CGT is no exception.

2. As the car ages, the warranty period becomes shorter which will impact the value of the car.

3. The sellers of the CGT will be the ones who want out and will not wait to get their price. There will be some who we keep the car and take it to their grave with them. These individuals will not sell it at any price.

4. With car manufacturers targeting some of these supercar segments in a couple of years, there will be newer and "close to" performers thus reducing the buyer pool by being cheaper and up to date.

5. The car is cartoonish in looks. I took my arm and inserted all the way inside the front airscoop without running into anything.It is just an open space. The venting behind the front wheels are open with no screening thus leading to road knicks on the car and as Ben experience an occasional pebble bombarding the passenger or driver. Thus it does not have the classic appearance which can withstand time.

This car will reach $250,000 when there is one year or less warranty on it. Then someone like Bill gates can afford to buy it.

Final point, Ben truly loved his CGT. Though he had issues with it, over all he preferred it over any other car.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:24 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Great post, all valid points. In the end, I will own one of these Carrera GT supercars in the future! Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:25 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
Originally posted by lexpro
I disagree. This is a post that insulted no one, but dispassionately gave the poster's rationale for his decision. I thought it was a very informative post.
Thats your opinion and I voiced mine.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Banned
Mike T is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ZLP
I do not know what the reasoning is making a post pretty much knocking the car. Many people own CGT's here and have spent considerable amounts of money on them and just because you couldn't justify spending the money, others could. IMHO making this thread was in poor taste...
Why? The threadstarter was, apparently, closer to buying a CGT than you, I, or most others here have ever been. He is simply (very validly) listing the reasons that he was not able to justify it. There is no "knocking" of the car itself, that I can see, without a clear and detailed explanation for each point made. Hell, the title doesn't even read, "The CGT sucks for these reasons," like your comment would lead one to believe it does. All it says is, "Why I don't buy a CGT"

Seems pretty clear-cut to me.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Banned
Oh and with that said, I do agree with you, Bill, but if I were in a position to buy a CGT, I still would.

... However, that position would have to be one where the cost of buying one outright would not financially strain me in even the slightest way.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:09 PM
ciggy1 is infamous around these parts
Bill, it almost sounds as if you are trying to convince yourself of why you wouldn't buy a CGT and you are looking for confirmation.

G

Old 08-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by ciggy1
Bill, it almost sounds as if you are trying to convince yourself of why you wouldn't buy a CGT and you are looking for confirmation.

G
Interesting interpretation. Actually, I'm certain I don't want one for the reasons I stated. I just thought I'd share my thoughts with other potential buyers. Seems like more than a few people buy the CGT and realize it's not what they wanted.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Banned
Originally posted by Bill S
Interesting interpretation. Actually, I'm certain I don't want one for the reasons I stated. I just thought I'd share my thoughts with other potential buyers. Seems like more than a few people buy the CGT and realize it's not what they wanted.
A more feasible interpretation would be that many here are bitter of your seemingly accurate logic.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Banned
deeroff is infamous around these parts
His title suggest subjectivity - and it was subjective - you may disagree with his opinion, but that's his opinion.

I admit that I agree with some of his opinions, and I own one.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:17 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by deeroff
His title suggest subjectivity - and it was subjective - you may disagree with his opinion, but that's his opinion.

I admit that I agree with some of his opinions, and I own one.
ohh deer, u finally got it?!

Old 08-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned
deeroff is infamous around these parts
I couldn't resist - now, what the hell am I gonna do with the F430 spider that I have coming in a few months?

Old 08-26-2005, 06:34 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
for god sake u're worry about the F430 spider?! it ain't no CGT & people will beg u for it with 100 grand cash extra waiting outside of ur house all day long~

Old 08-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Banned
Originally posted by deeroff
I couldn't resist - now, what the hell am I gonna do with the F430 spider that I have coming in a few months?
You could loan it to me for awhile if it's just going to be a burden on you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why I don't buy a CGT