Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why I don't buy a CGT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Ryan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to all
1) Bill S works for ferrari!

2) The Carrera GT is more practical than most modern day hyper cars with dealerships all over the place.

3) It outperforms pretty much anything that resembles a street car.

4) visibility to the rear is the least important when driving this car, thats a non issue.

5) If given the opportunity I would purchase one with no regrets or hesitation.

Seriously, name a better, more practical hyper car...

Old 08-26-2005, 08:39 PM
Stephan has a spectacular aura aboutStephan has a spectacular aura aboutStephan has a spectacular aura about
Well said Ryan!

Old 08-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
To each his own, I think "to buy or not to buy" don't need too many reasons. If a person turly love the CGT and can afford one. Even it have 100 more reason not to buy. He will turn all around to the reason to buy. To most CGT owner, it will never be a daily drive and we all understand all "big toy" will burn you money. Now the question is CGT good enough to burn you that amount of cash? After I sat in the CGT, for me the answer is YES.

Old 08-27-2005, 02:37 AM
MarsMan is infamous around these parts
I bought a CGT, so you may take my comments with a grain of salt.

I drive my car quite regularly and I don't have any major problems with it scraping. I am careful when I go anywhere that has a big incline, but if I come in at an angle it isn't a problem. I also don't drive anywhere that has speed bumps. If you had to go into areas like this the car would definitely be a problem and it might not be the car for you.

The fact that I can take the top off is a huge plus and that this car can generate the level of performance with a removable top is simply amazing.

The Enzo doesn't have a removable top, power windows, stereo, navigation system, carpet, built in phone, etc.. and weighs more than the CGT. I also heard that the brakes on the Enzo cost 20K to replace and this was required after 1,000 miles on a car that Car and Driver tested. I know two people that own an Enzo and a CGT and both state emphatically that he CGT is a better car. Ferrari won't test the Enzo at the ring and whenever they have been tested together I have seen the Porsche come out on top.

I love the looks of the Carrera GT and think that it looks better than almost any other car I have seen old or new.

The comments about not enough luggage space is humerous, who buys this car for a large trunk?

BTW I am in the market for a McLaren F1, if anyone knows of one for sale please let me know. This is the only car that I would rather have than the CGT, luckily I am planning on owning both.

My Carrera GT is off the market forever, I should probably tell everyone how bad they are so that if I need to pick up another one some time the price might be lower.

Good Luck finding your perfect car!

Old 08-27-2005, 07:27 AM
CarreraGtRacer is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by MarsMan
I bought a CGT, so you may take my comments with a grain of salt.

I drive my car quite regularly and I don't have any major problems with it scraping. I am careful when I go anywhere that has a big incline, but if I come in at an angle it isn't a problem. I also don't drive anywhere that has speed bumps. If you had to go into areas like this the car would definitely be a problem and it might not be the car for you.

The fact that I can take the top off is a huge plus and that this car can generate the level of performance with a removable top is simply amazing.

The Enzo doesn't have a removable top, power windows, stereo, navigation system, carpet, built in phone, etc.. and weighs more than the CGT. I also heard that the brakes on the Enzo cost 20K to replace and this was required after 1,000 miles on a car that Car and Driver tested. I know two people that own an Enzo and a CGT and both state emphatically that he CGT is a better car. Ferrari won't test the Enzo at the ring and whenever they have been tested together I have seen the Porsche come out on top.

I love the looks of the Carrera GT and think that it looks better than almost any other car I have seen old or new.

The comments about not enough luggage space is humerous, who buys this car for a large trunk?

BTW I am in the market for a McLaren F1, if anyone knows of one for sale please let me know. This is the only car that I would rather have than the CGT, luckily I am planning on owning both.

My Carrera GT is off the market forever, I should probably tell everyone how bad they are so that if I need to pick up another one some time the price might be lower.

Good Luck finding your perfect car!
Hey, I know a friend that knows the location/owner of every single McLaren F1 out there....he knows more about the McLaren F1 then maybe Gordon Murray himself If you are interested PM me and let me know...

Check out his recent experience/photos

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=447218

BTW give me a Carrera GT over an Enzo anyday.

Old 08-27-2005, 08:29 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
For anyone of you owners that just can't stand your car PM me for a quick sale! I am sure it will go cheap!

Old 08-27-2005, 08:31 AM
tdf360 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by MarsMan
I also heard that the brakes on the Enzo cost 20K to replace and this was required after 1,000 miles on a car that Car and Driver tested.
That car was absolutely *hammered* at the track. From what I've heard from owners of both, the Ferrari ceramic brakes are more durable than the Porsche version. Have you checked the replacement cost of CGT pads and rotors? In normal street driving, both cars will get many thousands of miles on the brakes.

Performance-wise, the cars are very similar, with the same driver I would guess the CGT to be a hair quicker on tight courses, with the reverse true on fast courses.

Gary

Old 08-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
I heard them CGT's get bad gas mileage too... shucks, fugidibodid...

Old 08-27-2005, 08:28 PM
deanger is infamous around these parts
Bill --

You should buy a 959. I don't mean that to be read as mean in anyway. But from an engineering standpoint, it was the car that you are describing. It shattered everything. AWD. ABS. Traction control. Way faster than anything else. Won paris-dakar and LeMans... And you can drive it everyday.

No car will ever be as ahead of its time ever again. Because no car company will willing lose that much money on a car in the name of R&D

Old 08-27-2005, 08:36 PM
No, not the Enzo, that's worse...

Originally posted by Super D
So Bill.... 2 questions:

1) when are you getting your Enzo?
2) when are you taking me for a ride?

According to those 10.

The car is heavier than the CGT. The car was never even considered for racing. The car looks like a pontiac. The car's engine note isn't even all that from the outside...

Oh, and BTW, I don't see how the Enzo's interior stirs such emotion. It DOESN'T HAVE A SHIFTER!

Don't get me wrong -- the Enzo is awesome and I wish I had one. I'm just saying by the 10 criteria of this post the Enzo is worse than the CGT and it costs MORE THAN TWICE AS MUCH!

Old 08-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Re: Why I don't buy a CGT

Originally posted by Bill S
The McClaren feels small and light. That's an awesome car!
Really? Interesting. I was lucky to get a ride in one in London three years ago and found it neither light nor small. You want light? F-40.

Not too mention that the McClaren is dangerously unstable at high speed -- the steering isn't particulalrly direct -- the shifter and clutch not very refined...

Again, the theme of my thoughts. Would I love a McClaren -- of course. But for the price of it, I could get an Enzo, or two/maybe three cgts, or ten porsche turbos...etc.

Perhaps the SLR is what you are looking for?

Old 08-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by deanger
Bill -- You should buy a 959.
I have a Ruf Turbo R which is a 993 TT which is derived from a 959. It's one of my favorite cars.

When Porsche built the 993 TT, they considered everything they knew from previous cars, including the 959. The 993 TT does everything better then the 959. It's an incredibly powerful and reliable car in an ingeniously simple package. No coolant, simple viscous AWD, 3.6 L engine with 540 HP (Ruf), only 12 valves and 2 cams. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, 1/4-mile at 128 MPH. Top speed 205 MPH. Nearly as fast as a CGT.

Yet it meets all emission standards, can be driven hundreds of miles with overnight luggage, racing motorcycles up and down Highway 1 all day, and can be parked in the dirt, while you wait for everyone to catch up, after driving over a few pot-holes and speed-bumps on the way.

And, when it's sitting in the garage, I can see the 912, 911, 935, 930 and 959. They're all there in this one remarkable package with component neatly fitted like the organs in your body. And it still gets people's attention with that strange yet fully functional spoiler and wide fenders to fit the wide wheels. Nothing's for show on that car. Form follows functions for every item on the car.

The McLaren and Enzo are also two of my favorites and I hope to own one or both some day. I could go on all day about those cars.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:30 PM
cnc
Awaiting Email Confirmation
cnc is infamous around these parts
Bill S

I think you "nailed it" with your comments about the C-GT.

There are emotional buyers, financial buyers and rational buyers. Now some emotional buyers will try and rationalize away the financial aspects, and some will be successful in convincing themselves to ignore the financial realites. Some will simply not care about the financial realities of owning this car.

But, the reason this car has "failed" is because Porsche and their Dealers got greedy (by increasing production and price (Porsche) and limiting initial availability (Dealers) to the rational buyers (of which I was one).

Now "failure" is a relative term, but when so many dealers have 1-2 cars still avaliable, and will sell them for up to 10% below sticker, even though Production is coming to an end that means to me it was hardly a success, hence "failure".

Porsche, of course, can call the car a success because they quite cleverly hoisted some of the Dealers on their own petard, i.e. some dealers kept these cars out of the hands of real customers, based upon their desires to speculate on "unlimited' mark-ups. That didn't last long and I'd venture a guess that for every car "desired", at the moment, there are at least two available.

The next few months will be interesting, and I think that the last few dozen cars will go out the door at around $375K. It'll still be a $100K round trip (IMO) if you decide to sell.

But, then what do I know? I know at what price I will spring for this car!

Old 08-28-2005, 12:07 AM
raygr is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Super D
It's kind of funny that when everyone is questioning Porsche of "selling out", not making real sports cars anymore, dumbing down their offerings to turn more numbers....they release true driver's sports cars in the streetable form of the GT2, GT3 and a bit later the CGT; two are raw, lightweight, race-bred GT cars, and the other is one of the most powerful and capable production cars ever and almost creates its own category that was only touched on by the past GT1 homologations from a few makers. Yet, there are complaints about the impracticality of a driver's car...always have been I'm sure. It's just a little funnier now that there are 3 serious sports car offerings from the Porsche marque--being produced alongside those "other" cars that target appeal en masse.

One thing is for sure, if Porsche doesn't build serious sports cars, they will not retain the interest or respect of their high caliber niche audience, and over time as they phase out rear-engine designs as "the" iconic sports car offering and transition to more mid-engine and front-engine offerings (as we're seeing now), the only foothold they will have in the marketplace will be anchored by differentiation underscored in these uncompromised driver's cars in question. I hope they continue to offer such cars, I will buy a few of them over time, enjoy them, track them, and get a taste of Porsche racing spirit that the company was founded upon. I don't disagree with Bill's points (and I know at the very least, Bill is an experienced driver and sports car enthusiast, so there is no discounting his skills or credibility as a "real" sports car consumer), they are just as valid as others . I certainly don't disagree with Porsche's product offerings. There is something for everyone, and the figurehead driver's cars have their place.

Is the CGT practical? Hell no. My inference from our conversations is that Ben went from 911 to Ferrari CS to CGT, in search of the ultimate driver's car. The CGT was it, a no compromise tour de force from Porsche, one of his favorite marques. For those with the means to buy the ultimate driver's Porsche, it's easy to understand how some can be so passionate about it. For those in search of the best in GT cars, one with ultimate performance, practicality, luxury and convenience, it simply isn't it. Maybe a Ruf Turbo is. Maybe a TT is. I believe Porsche was purposeful in the design and release of the CGT. If they aren't coming back for '06, no problem, it's purpose was served. It's made a statement that they are firmly in touch with their racing roots, perhaps the most important positioning message to not lose sight of. Had they not produced this car for the street, the owners would've never had even a small taste of what a GT1-level race car performs like unless they were willing to really go racing.

What a steaming pile this post is! ( Hahaha...beat you to it! )
Super D: That was fabulous! Your points are right on. I agree totally. The CGT gives Porsche some cred, which they need now that they sell SUVs.

I love the fact that the CGT is impractical, like driving a race car. You can't going shopping in it. You can't drive it in car parks. You can't get to certain places because of speed bumps. You plan a route and drive it! You keep other cars in your stable for those other duties.

Bill S, I agree on a few of your points. One being, I wish there was a little more trunk space, so I could pack a little overnight luggage for a trip to a farther track.

I love the looks, and think the body is both beautiful and functional. Porsche has incorporated many cues from early racing Porsches, such as the 904, the 917, and the 962. I also like removing the roof - I can hear the exhaust note better!

Finally, as some have commented about maintenance costs down the road, I have no fear. It is laughable for a Ferrari owner to complain about a Porsche being expensive to repair or maintain! It is a well known fact that parts for your P cars are much less than an F car. Example: Front brake pads on the CGT are about $450 ; My F-CS: $1600 for front pads. Oil on the CGT is the same Mobile-1 20W40 we use in the 911s; the Stradale is Shell Helix-something about $45 / qt and only available at the F dealer! Is the CGT going to cost more than a 911 to maintain? Yes. Will it cost more than $200k Ferrari to maintain? Answer: probably less. And let's not talk about major services... I don't have anything against Ferrari (I love them too), but you have to realize they are reaming you on service and parts.

As a matter of convenience, there are far more P dealers in the US than Ferrari. The guys at my dealer are trained; I know them and watched them, and I trust them with my CGT. As for spares, all car mfgs are required by law to ensure they have a stock of spare parts for many years.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:34 AM
tdf360 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by raygr
the Stradale is Shell Helix-something about $45 / qt
Ray -

I agree with most of your points, but the Shell Helix used in the CS and 360 models is only about $12/qt. Going from memory but that is close. It is only available at the dealer which can be a pain.

Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why I don't buy a CGT