GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Why I don't buy a CGT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Why I don't buy a CGT

Originally posted by deanger
Building my list of why not to destroy my savings on a "shockingly impractical expense", and I find myself a few items short.
I also was going to buy a CGT, but after getting to know one on the street pretty well with Ben I decided not to. Being an engineer and a long-time collector of fast cars, I'm sure most of my reasons are unlike most others.

1. The car was designed from a unproven prototype that never raced. That missing "history" made the car less exciting for me. I believe the car still has many remnants of the prototyping phase, like bolted front and rear sections.
2. On the street, the car is not much faster then most modified turbos and some newer exotics that are coming out. For the price and inconveniences that come with the car, I would want it much faster then anything else now and in the near future.
3. The body was a major afterthought for the chassis. It doesn't have the refined styling that other exotics and other Porsche vehicles have. It's "cartoony", almost like an inflated Boxster with unusual proportions and styling elements. With the roof on, some people refer to it as a nuclear-powered El Camino.
4. Much R&D was placed in the lightweight carbon tub and body, only to have the weight gained back by the filler needed to make the paint smooth. Major overkill! The new Corvette weighs the same or less.
5. The handling performance cannot be used on the street without seriously risking injury to yourself or others.
6. Since the entire suspension was designed for the track, not the street, you need to plan your route to avoid scrapping things. This is a major inconvenience to live with, just to get better high-speed handling, which will only be used on the track. The 430 and Ford GT do not have this problem. The Enzo has a hydraulic lift.
7. Most replacement parts for the car are unique to the car and very expensive. I recall the windshield alone was almost $8K. Damaging the chassis or bodywork could be very expensive to repair.
8. The road visibility is not up to the 911 and Ferrari standards. With the windshield rake and low seating position, you feel like you're sitting in a Viper.
9. The car should do anything you want without having to think or worry about it. It should be as easy to take to the grocery store as the track. That's always been the Porsche philosophy. This car deviates from that philosophy, and its performance does not warrant that deviation.
10. The interior seems cheap, like it was designed quickly with easy to manufacture pieces. Look at the interior of an Enzo in comparison. It stirs the emotions.
11. In my opinion, a high performance car should not have an open top. That's always a compromise for aerodynmamics and structural rigidity. That's also where the car's weight was gained again: trying to make it rigid with an open top.
12. The engine note is cool on the outside, but not that impressive to the driver and passenger.
13. The rear spoiler seems silly. With today's technology, the body should have been designed to not require it.
14. The car feels and looks BIG, probably because it is. However, the Enzo, Ford GT, and Saleen feels like that also. The McLaren feels small and light. That's an awesome car!
15. It's difficult to take the car on a long trip due to its lack of storage, especially when you have the top stored, as you would for a long trip.

I think these items will cause the CGT to continue to go down in price. I'm not sure if I would buy one even at $250K because of these reasons. There will be better cars that are more liveable with equal or slightly less performance and better styling. Ferrari's not too far from producing a car like that. A more powerful lightweight 430 could be that car.

Last edited by Bill S; 08-28-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:52 AM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
I guess this is where the phrase " To each his own" comes into play

Old 08-26-2005, 11:55 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Bill,
i like ur reasoning & looks like they work quite well for u. however, some of ur reasons don't make much sense but hey that's normal if ur brain tells u for whatever reason u can't like this thing.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:06 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
So Bill.... 2 questions:

1) when are you getting your Enzo?
2) when are you taking me for a ride?

Personally, I think the CGT is an impressive car, albeit very impractical. The sound is the nicest note I've ever heard from a production street car. IMO, the looks aren't "sexy" as some Porsche's ( like mine ) but rather imposing, muscular, and, well....it looks much more like a *supercar* than most. I feel the same way about the Enzo and S7; not really sexy looks, but certainly imposing and they appear every bit the serious supercar.

Few sports cars are practical, but I appreciate it when they are. Still, it's not a requirement for me, at least not very high on the list.

My only major problem with the CGT is that after driving with Ben and spending time with the car, I now feel very uncomfortable even looking at one. Not the car's fault, just a natural reaction that I seem not to be able to avoid. This hasn't happened to me with race cars when I or others I know have crashed. Weird. Can't help it. I'm sure in time, it'll pass.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Arling, I have to agree with you .. I think we could sit here and go back and forth about why the car is this or that.. Why the car is for some people.. And for others its not..

I think the Carrera GT was built not to be everything for everyone , but instead everything to someone..

But hey thats just my .02

Last edited by Fabryce@GMGRacing; 08-26-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Here is my simple "Why I won't by buying a CGT"

I don't have the cash!

Old 08-26-2005, 12:42 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I think you should buy a 911 instead.

In the world of supercar, practicality, repair cost and streetability aren't always top priority. I know we all care about these things but it's just not what's most important to those that really want the best.

CGT remains as a "resonably" priced supercar in my books.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:51 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Hey,

Just one more Carrera GT out there for me when I can actually afford one!

Old 08-26-2005, 12:52 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I doubt CGT's will EVER go down to the $250's.......With Porsches (kind of) limited production, they will eventually go to owner/collectors that will keep them for a long time. Prices will never drop at the rate 996's have. Like previously sated, these cars are not for everyone. To me, it is one of the best looking cars out there today if not ever. Its performance is nothing to shake a stick at and its sound is music to my ears.....I could never feel that for a Corvette, Saleen or Ford. IMO, they are not even in the same ballpark.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:55 PM
BAD ASH is infamous around these parts
I agree with most of you.

First: I don't have the cash for a Carrera GT.
I have to say is the most beautiful car out there, and yes "to each it's own". even the Guy form Top gear who is a German Car Hater fell in love with this beast.

The only problem I see like it was mentioned, it's the scraping.
I'm sure is a pain in the *** to check your routes and examine the driveways whenever you take it out for a drive.

is there a lift suspension much like Ruff uses on it's cars?
I read on R&T it raises the Body 2 inches to deal with this Dificulties.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
There is no rational in spending that kind of money on any car it either has to come from your enthusiasm and love of that Vehicle..Like Fabryce says to each his own...

Old 08-26-2005, 01:14 PM
ciggy1 is infamous around these parts
Re: Why I don't buy a CGT

Originally posted by Bill S
2. ... For the price and incoveniences that come with the car, I would want it much faster then anything else now and in the near future.
5. The handling performance cannot be used on the street without seriously risking injury to yourself or others.
9. ..., and its performance does not warrant that deviation.

Whatever dude

G

Old 08-26-2005, 01:19 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
I do not know what the reasoning is making a post pretty much knocking the car. Many people own CGT's here and have spent considerable amounts of money on them and just because you couldn't justify spending the money, others could. IMHO making this thread was in poor taste...

Old 08-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by ZLP
I do not know what the reasoning is making a post pretty much knocking the car. Many people own CGT's here and have spent considerable amounts of money on them and just because you couldn't justify spending the money, others could. IMHO making this thread was in poor taste...
My post will not disappointment anyone who bought the car and enjoys it. If you could only post your positive feelings about a car, what use would the forum be?

BTW, I do like the instant throttle response of the CGT. No turbo can ever match that. Hopefully we'll see more normally-aspirated cars with big power.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:47 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Bill S
My post will not disappointment anyone who bought the car and enjoys it. If you could only post your positive feelings about a car, what use would the forum be?
i agree. it's fun to have different opinion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why I don't buy a CGT