Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 or C7 Z06?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:44 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Wow. Just... wow.

Must be nice to look down at others from way up there.
I love my GT3, but I sure wouldn't mind having a C7 Z06 parked next to it in the garage....

Old 12-02-2014, 01:13 AM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bumpinjeep
And so it begins!
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ll-test-review
C/D TEST RESULTS:
PRICE AS TESTED: $97,595 (base price: $78,995)
Zero to 60 mph: 3.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 6.8 sec
Zero to 160 mph: 22.9 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 3.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 1.7 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.1 sec @ 127 mph
Top speed (C/D est): 185 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 128 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.19 g

For comparisons sake's here's the 991 GT3
PRICE AS TESTED: $142,265 (base price: $131,350)
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 7.1 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 12.0 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 3.9 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 2.2 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.2 sec @ 126 mph
Top speed (drag limited, mfr's claim): 195 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 135 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.12 g
The GT3 with a 3.8L normally aspirated F6 engine (with 175 HP less and an astonishing 326 ft-lbs less of torque!) essentially matches the performance of the Z06 with a 6.2L supercharged V8 engine. That is incredible!

Old 05-22-2015, 05:56 PM
h82w8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Ynot
Asked yourself if both were the same price, which would you pick? GT3 for me.
If the GT3 where the same price as a Z06, it would be a Cayman. Come on, that question is a non starter. If a La Ferrari was the same price as a GT3, which one would you buy.

Silly man

Old 05-27-2015, 06:13 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by lnirenberg
I am a vette guy from way back & currently in my 1st ever Porsche. After 8 DE events last season I can say the 991 is a track beast as I am sure is the new Vette. However, being an old fart myself, I can say the problem with the last several generations of the Vette is demographic--sweet spot being mostly old farts who would rather polish and shine than hit the track with Vette club track days are virtually non-existent, at least in my part of the country. Time will tell whether gen7 will change this but in the mean time, for me at least, the PCA tips the scales Porsche's way.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I was coming back from Nashville last Sunday and found two old farts filling up at a station, one with a C6 Z06 and another with a new red C7 Stingray. I am one who likes the lines of the new C7, but given the demographic of buyers I see, I'm not sure I'll head that way. I've got crazy AWD traction and torque from my PTT and I'm enjoying that.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:19 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
So you're using the $1M 918's 6:57 time to make a point about how 'GT3 owners' don't have to worry about the Z06? Of course, the only reason you are using the 918 in your argument is because you know that none of the 911s Porsche sells have a chance against the Z06, thereby completely nullifying the basis of your initial argument. Nice try indeed! Lol
I'd take a GT3RS or a 911 Turbo S against a Z06...Turbo S is AWD and that can be an advantage depending on the track.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Sorry, but Porsche has gone the way of the BMW with the GT3. Actually BMW is coming back to earth now, so it would be the way of the Lambo?

Standard, non beneficial centerlocks, no manual option, standard rws, huge unnecessary brakes that make it unlikely for 19's and pretty much impossible for 18's and real track tires. Banning slicks altogether. Even had the nerve to state the car isn't built for the stresses associated with slicks. WTH?!?!? Screw that.

Meanwhile GM is putting data in the car, covering track use and building functional aero that isn't just big, tacky wings bolted on the back. Not to mention a car that will be MUCH faster on the track.

Needless to say, I'm going with the Corvette.

In fact, I'm so disgusted with Porsche, I'm considering cheering for Corvette Racing, whom I can't stand for many reasons, instead of Core Autosport, Porsche and Falken this year.
Here's why I won't ever get a Corvette.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0303.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	421028  
Old 05-27-2015, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by 911driver
I'm surprised that so many people think new Corvette quality is so much better than before. I've seen one at the LA Auto Show and the leather cover on the front dash had a flat spot on it; in other words the texture of the leather didn't seem consistent over the same dash panel. The door interior panels were flexing when you pulled from the handle. Now this is the car that they chose to send to the LA Auto Show for people to see the car for the first time. From what I read about the track tests, it looks like they did a great job with the handling of the car and the power of the engine but after seeing the car in person, it is hard to be convinced that the car will stay in one piece after 8 to 10 years. I also think that from the front the car doesn't look much different than a Ferrari but the back looks like it is borrowed from a Camaro. It is almost like the designers started to design from the front and by the time that they reach to the back they didn't have much time left and had to rush some of the look from other Chevys But again, looks are all subjective and it is hard to judge the car based on just the looks.

Also I know that having a car with 650hp sounds very attractive but most people on this forum wouldn't be able to properly drive a Miata with 100hp on the track so if you think that GT3 doesn't have enough power for you, you are confusing yourself with an F1 pilot. If you only worry about straight line speed, than that has nothing to do with driving talent and you better not waste a GT3 and get a new Corvette.
100% spot on IMO.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Wow look at that. I agree with Jasper on something.........

Why is everyone complaining about cylinder deactivation? It doesn't hurt anything and unless you have been living under a rock, you know that CAFE requirements are only getting stiffer. GM is and has been ahead of the curve on that. While still kicking butt in performance. I like getting in my sports car and getting almost 30 mpg. It doesn't make you any more macho that your car only gets 10 mpg. I order to keep building high hp cars, innovation like this will be required. Doesn't mean the z06 will be any less capable of blowing the doors of of your car.
Innovation?? With a big V8 pushrod engine and carbon fiber bits? When I was growing up the guy across the street from us had a ~ 1974 Corvette with T-tops, or whatever it was. The quality stunk then, and after seeing some recent C6's with terrible interiors and doors that didn't shut very solidly I was turned off. Yes Corvettes are fast and I'm sure the new C7 is a big improvement but as they say in the articles "The new C7's first test may be it's toughest"- against a 911. And for God's sakes, redesign that stupid Bowtie symbol and that awful steering wheel.

The best product that Chevy makes isn't the Corvette or that hideous Camaro or the "SS" - it's probably a Silverado.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
While the Z may be quicker on the track, pulling timing and having to pit every few laps to cool it down from excessive oil temps makes it slower.

And if you're not seeing those oil temp warnings, you're getting lapped anyway.

I should add that a C7 Z51 I hot lapped was brilliant but needed more tire. However the M4 I lapped that day was obviously a better all-around car despite its higher COG.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 05-28-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Karl B is infamous around these parts
Deuuuce is correct, at a PCA DE at VIR this year a few Z06's showed up. One was very well driven and was stupid fast, for three laps. Then it was 4 way flashers on the way to the pits. By the end of the day the poor guy was doing 2 laps and pulling in the pits for 10 min, he was less than satisfied with his purchase. He traded in an C6 Z06 and wanted it back by the end of the weekend.
How could they let that slide and not pick it up, just like Porsche screwed up with the 991 GT3 engine.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:30 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
It would be interesting to see in 5 - 8 years what each car will be worth knowing every time I start my TT it's like I just bought it??

Old 06-30-2015, 01:37 PM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by chance6
Here's why I won't ever get a Corvette.
You seem a little aristocratic, maybe you should move out of Cincy and hang out on the West Coast.

On topic, I now have a Turbo S cab (997) and a new Z06/Z07. Both very different cars. I've always appreciated everything except the a-holes that both brands attract. One being the upper crust ****** that things that they can drive, the other being the guy in the vette with chrome everything that would never consider appreciating another brand. The new Z is a very engaging car! The current pricing level of a GT3 should 100% be a consideration in your purchase unless you are this guy ^^.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Drive both and purchase whatever gives you the biggest smile.

Last edited by Doug H; 07-02-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:53 PM
AWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to allAWZR1 is a name known to all
Simple....get one of each.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:04 PM
ExSports2000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Doug H
Drive both and purchase whatever gives you the biggest smile.
One of the best answers I read. About to spring for a used 3 but keep flirting with this like new '10 ZR1/3ZR with less than 5k miles for $18k less. I don't know, I go to a lot of the ALMS stuff and I see both doing pretty damn well.
Either one would be a smile for me but I say that with no direct experience in terms of reliability of each.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 or C7 Z06?