Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 or C7 Z06?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Next year the GT3 will be in an awkward position.
Its the wromg car to buy for a track-only car and too raw for a daily drivable street car.
If you are going to give point bys to C7 Z's, it might as well be from an S or GTS, so you at least have a comfortable street car.

The C7 Z will give easy speed, with its crazy torque. No need to ever shift below 3rd.
There wont be anything soft about that car.
Id bet it has stiffer suspension than a GT3 and louder exhaust.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:06 PM
stef430 has a spectacular aura aboutstef430 has a spectacular aura about
I got in much less than 150 - only got deviated stitching on the steering wheel and steel brakes and sport chrom. As far as consumables I would suggest the GT3 would cost less given a higher reliability factor in the P. I have y spec P car redline to redline week over week in race season and only replaced tires and brakes. Never opened the engine or transmission or suspension or .... Buddies with vetted could never say anything remotely close.

And the ride on NYC streets in the GT3 is smoooooooth Wow

Old 01-17-2014, 06:42 PM
FLAT6KING is infamous around these partsFLAT6KING is infamous around these parts
Back from the speed shop wow! I smell like a shop, cool stuff sorry to jack the thread but I just saw an RS 4.0 that is being prepped for sale at a whopping $375,000. Let that marinate for a moment.... Z06 whatever, RS prices are going through the roof. Which lends to the GT3's desirability vs. the Kentucky girl.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:47 PM
stef430 has a spectacular aura aboutstef430 has a spectacular aura about
As the owner of a black 4.0 who drives her - uh. Whoa ...

Old 01-17-2014, 06:50 PM
FLAT6KING is infamous around these partsFLAT6KING is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stef430
As the owner of a black 4.0 who drives her - uh. Whoa ...
They had a white on red RS PCCB car and the guy is selling b/c he is getting $50K more than what he paid. Stef, you might want to drive your 991 GT3 a lot more. You may be at $500k in a few years.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:07 PM
hyper911 is infamous around these partshyper911 is infamous around these parts
times i see are 7:18 for the GT2 Rs - faster than the Zr1, unless i am mistaken
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

this one specifically points out it is faster than the zr1 - way more expensive, but a faster 911

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/05/11...rgring-in-718/

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
It's possible. But I just don't see Porsche making a faster, lighter car than the GT2 RS was/is, at least not for many years. And even that 3,020 lb / 620 hp monster was 5 seconds slower around the Nurburgring than the 3400 lb C6 ZR1 was.

Last edited by hyper911; 01-17-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 PM
911 James is infamous around these parts
That Vette looks awesome! Buy a Porsche. You'll never regret it. I've owned both. There is no comparison, none, in my opinion. Good luck with your purchase :-)

Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hyper911

this one specifically points out it is faster than the zr1 - way more expensive, but a faster 911

The 7:18 time was run on several shorter sections of the track, and a time was calculated from there. The total length of the run was shorter than a normal ring lap. That's why it's NOT listed on the Wikipedia Nurburgring list.

The 7:25 time was an actual, verified run by one of the best Porsche 'Ring drivers in the world (Horst Von Sarma from Sport Auto), and is the only universally accepted 'Ring time for the GT2 RS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times

Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 PM
hyper911 is infamous around these partshyper911 is infamous around these parts
you could be right but that is not what the sport auto article says. It just mentions they could not beat the factory time. Where did you specifically get this information from, just interested from a point of fact not conjecture.

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
The 7:18 time was run on several shorter sections of the track, and a time was calculated from there. The total length of the run was shorter than a normal ring lap. That's why it's NOT listed on the Wikipedia Nurburgring list.

The 7:25 time was an actual, verified run by one of the best Porsche 'Ring drivers in the world (Horst Von Sarma from Sport Auto), and is the only universally accepted 'Ring time for the GT2 RS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times

Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
you could be right but that is not what the sport auto article says. It just mentions they could not beat the factory time. Where did you specifically get this information from, just interested from a point of fact not conjecture.
It was years ago. Porsche claimed they ran the time, but the course they took was shorter than the standard, so everyone waited until Von Sarma tested the car on the proper length course to find out what it was actually capable of. Von Sarma typically runs the fastest 'Ring times in Porsches. He's a hot shoe who knows the track like the back of his hand.

It was all over the Porsche forums back then, but I can't point to a specific article. There's a reason why the Wiki list doesn't list it, and it's the reason I've posted.

That said, there are no asterisks next to the ZR1 time.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 01-18-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:34 AM
maxboost is infamous around these partsmaxboost is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CTAudiFan
Z06 will probably have a better stereo too! Honestly, lap times and track times are meaningless to most owners aside from paper bragging rights. Each owner will have different criteria and ultimately the car that best meets those criteria will be the "best" of the two. There's no debating personal taste or personal needs, they are what they are. There are dozens of track cars that would better either of these two for half the cost, so if it's a track car only that you are looking for, there may be even better options from a price/performance standpoint. Both are excellent performers ... can't we all just get along?

Could not agree anymore with the above ..lap times become a dick measuring contest..who cares what some professional driver did over in Japan? Both cars are going to well exceed driving talents of everyone on this board, period.

Last edited by maxboost; 01-18-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:18 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !

http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/05/11...rgring-in-718/
Oh crap. Now the GT2RS comes out (because that's the same as a GT3).

I understand that the challenge was ANY 911, and I guess this fits the criteria... Either way, I don't believe the GT2RS (at twice the cost), has put together a single lap faster than the ZR-1.

I also believe that Chevy was severely downplaying the driving abilities of the common worker "Jerry" in the ZR-1 (or whatever his name was on that commercial).

All in the name of marketing.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Oh crap. Now the GT2RS comes out (because that's the same as a GT3). I understand that the challenge was ANY 911, and I guess this fits the criteria... Either way, I don't believe the GT2RS (at twice the cost), has put together a single lap faster than the ZR-1. I also believe that Chevy was severely downplaying the driving abilities of the common worker "Jerry" in the ZR-1 (or whatever his name was on that commercial). All in the name of marketing.
Looked like "Jerry" was driving his butt off in the video. Either way....

Old 01-18-2014, 12:48 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Ha ha ha The vette owner will always wish for what he could have..

Old 01-18-2014, 01:41 PM
SKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud ofSKXF430 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by scatkins
Ha ha ha The vette owner will always wish for what he could have..
sounds like what the Ferrari owners say about P cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 or C7 Z06?