Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 or C7 Z06?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 AM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by FLAT6KING
Did you mean a Cayenne Turbo S and Pana turbo S is a reach? I agree that is a lot for $200k. But keep in mind we were talking about the GT3 in this thread and at $200k the turbo is a bargain. Nothing short of a MP4 can touch it. That's not including the next GT2. Who knows what that is going to be like, we all can agree it will be a monster. Like I said earlier we have something for all takers.

My expectation was that the Turbo S would have been closer to 600hp. It would be much closer to the MP4 and soon to be released Gallardo replacement in that pricing range but it may yet happen with the .2(at a higher price point). I just thought that Porsche did just enough in the power dept. to keep the car ahead of current and previous comp. The Porsche Turbo was always a great all around package but now has much more competition than with previous iterations-especially as it gets up in pricing. Back to topic, my hope is that the new Z06 will provide great driving feel to coincide with it's on paper and hopefully real world performance. If so, what a value at sub $100k. As enthusiasts, we are fortunate that some nice options are available and on the horizon.

Last edited by NelsonF; 01-28-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:46 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
You know Porsche had to leave room for another Turbo model. It may not be a GT2 according to reports, but there is definitely another something with Turbo's coming. Or the 960.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:43 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
You know Porsche had to leave room for another Turbo model. It may not be a GT2 according to reports, but there is definitely another something with Turbo's coming. Or the 960.

Yes, very true. I'm hearing rumors that the next GT2/RS might be too quick, so they must delay. Looks like Porsche will try to cover all their bases/price points. All good stuff.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:32 PM
FLAT6KING is infamous around these partsFLAT6KING is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NelsonF
My expectation was that the Turbo S would have been closer to 600hp. It would be much closer to the MP4 and soon to be released Gallardo replacement in that pricing range but it may yet happen with the .2(at a higher price point). I just thought that Porsche did just enough in the power dept. to keep the car ahead of current and previous comp. The Porsche Turbo was always a great all around package but now has much more competition than with previous iterations-especially as it gets up in pricing. Back to topic, my hope is that the new Z06 will provide great driving feel to coincide with it's on paper and hopefully real world performance. If so, what a value at sub $100k. As enthusiasts, we are fortunate that some nice options are available and on the horizon.
Indeed, and we should be proud of the girl from Kentucky and let's be honest if someone gave us the keys for free we all would drive the snot out of it.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:35 PM
FLAT6KING is infamous around these partsFLAT6KING is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NelsonF
Yes, very true. I'm hearing rumors that the next GT2/RS might be too quick, so they must delay. Looks like Porsche will try to cover all their bases/price points. All good stuff.
960 sounds like it may be either a flat 6 or turbo V8. I'd love to see the 918's V8 in the car. This could possibly happen after the 918's production run is complete. This would put us at a sub $500k price point. What do guys think, all 604hp just like the 918 or more or less?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:39 PM
TractControlOff is infamous around these parts
I just read through this entire thread. As someone who visits here, Rennlist and Corvette Forum, I found it very interesting. Many of you have driven a GT3 (not necessarily the new one, but a GT3 nonetheless), but how many have driven a Z06? Have you driven the new Stingray? The new 'Vette is a completely different experience from any other previous Corvette, starting from the moment you first see one. And the Z06, with all of its new toys and options, can presumably only be better.

GM purchased a 911, GTR and R8 while they were developing the C7, so it's clear that they want to compete with Porsche and other highly regarded performance cars, but it's still a different car than the GT3.

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Chevy is already talking about a 'Z06X' version that will be similar to the GT3RS (as far as being a super light weight, focused track car). Considering how fast the C7 Z06 street car will be, that thing will be pretty ridiculous.

Finally, backtracking a bit...I thought I heard that the Z06X would not be street legal. Is that really a fair comparison to the GT3-RS, then?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:02 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
The Z06 will have the "pro-level" telemetry and built-in camera available which is a pretty cool set-up.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:16 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
There is a video of it floating around. It's not nearly pro level. The data rate sampling is very slow because it uses the car gps which has slow rates. But it's still awesome that it's included. However not sure if having is good or not. People will assume you tracked the car (which I will, but don't judge me) and qaulity data units are soo inexpensive it will be hard for factory stuff to compete and I bet the option will be expensive with the camera installation and all.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:27 AM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
There is a video of it floating around. It's not nearly pro level. The data rate sampling is very slow because it uses the car gps which has slow rates. But it's still awesome that it's included. However not sure if having is good or not. People will assume you tracked the car (which I will, but don't judge me) and qaulity data units are soo inexpensive it will be hard for factory stuff to compete and I bet the option will be expensive with the camera installation and all.
GM has quoted that the data recorder will have much higher sampling rates than the in-car NAV system as it has its own built in GPS chipset.
Bish

Old 02-01-2014, 12:43 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thebishman
GM has quoted that the data recorder will have much higher sampling rates than the in-car NAV system as it has its own built in GPS chipset.
Bish
I like the telemetry, but I'm not as taken by the offering of this (that almost every other car on the market already collects - but GM has decided to show more of).

I look at is - "it's about damn time." Instead of - "oooh, look, shiny."

Maybe I'm jaded, but it's nothing more than you can already get in $5 app on a $200 tablet. For $80k, I better get something.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:58 AM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by empunker
Basically it comes down to whether or not you want the most performance value for your dollar. If so, then choose the C7 Z06.

You don't spend $150k on a GT3 because it's the fastest car on the road/track.
I think that your statement is spot on. I have had 2 Z06's and a 996 Turbo (modded). I'm obviously not a brand purist and I like to try new things. I recently inquired about a 991 GT3 because I MAY (busy lately) hit the track a time or two a year and I love the technology and refinement behind the car. But for $160K, I'm not sure. That is my last cost related statement but I believe that it is relevant for most of us, even those that have what we would all consider to be enough money to buy what we want. I for one have private school and other expenses. With that said, I think that the GT3's hold their value well and as some have mentioned, it does have the fit and finish and the heritage.

I also have another thought and this one probably will not be popular. Being a race fan for a bit, what would happen if the ALMS series, or whatever it is called now, said "boys, bring what you can build." I believe that the Porsche engineers would come up with some elaborate hybrid or something to combat the big cubes of something like the Corvette. Porsche cannot compete with the flat 6 technology, period! I think that big power is relevant and I have seen many modded GT-R's running laps that are on par with some Cup cars with basically street trip (granted these cars are heavily modded). I think that both cars are amazing and bring something different to the table. I for one may consider the new C7 Z06 but I would have no problem owning a GT3 as well.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by btapp
I think that your statement is spot on. I have had 2 Z06's and a 996 Turbo (modded). I'm obviously not a brand purist and I like to try new things. I recently inquired about a 991 GT3 because I MAY (busy lately) hit the track a time or two a year and I love the technology and refinement behind the car. But for $160K, I'm not sure. That is my last cost related statement but I believe that it is relevant for most of us, even those that have what we would all consider to be enough money to buy what we want. I for one have private school and other expenses. With that said, I think that the GT3's hold their value well and as some have mentioned, it does have the fit and finish and the heritage.

I also have another thought and this one probably will not be popular. Being a race fan for a bit, what would happen if the ALMS series, or whatever it is called now, said "boys, bring what you can build." I believe that the Porsche engineers would come up with some elaborate hybrid or something to combat the big cubes of something like the Corvette. Porsche cannot compete with the flat 6 technology, period! I think that big power is relevant and I have seen many modded GT-R's running laps that are on par with some Cup cars with basically street trip (granted these cars are heavily modded). I think that both cars are amazing and bring something different to the table. I for one may consider the new C7 Z06 but I would have no problem owning a GT3 as well.
Is the Flat-6 really tapped out in Tudor USC?

Old 07-06-2014, 03:52 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
If you fit in it Z06.
No option for me.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:48 AM
LSs1Power is infamous around these parts
Its a tough choice, I was about to order a GT3 when I saw the C7 Z06 figures. Now im waiting to see what Porsche has in their GT3RS.

Here is how I look at it...

GT3 Pros:
1. Quality of built
2. Sharpness and driving dynamics
3. Technology such as rear steering.
4. 9k RPM engine
5. Special treatment in service
6. Its a Porsche!

GT3 Cons:
1. Price
2. 500hp only and not easy to extract more power out of it.
3. PDK only!
4. Facelift every 3 years and 5 year style cycle.

Z06 Pros:
1. Speed and faster lap times
2. Price
3. Ease of maintenance and cheaper
4. Manual transmission
5. Style stays relevant for 8 years before a new model is introduced
6. You can add another 150hp easily!
7. Head turner especially in Yellow.

Z06 Cons:
1. Built Quality especially rattling (this is coming from a C6 Z06 owner)
2. No special treatment in dealers for service. A Cruze is treated the same way as a ZR1!
3. Steering not as sharp as a GT3 and driving dynamics suffer from that. (Not sure about C7 Z06)

Old 07-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by LSs1Power
Its a tough choice, I was about to order a GT3 when I saw the C7 Z06 figures. Now im waiting to see what Porsche has in their GT3RS.

Here is how I look at it...

GT3 Pros:
1. Quality of built
2. Sharpness and driving dynamics
3. Technology such as rear steering.
4. 9k RPM engine
5. Special treatment in service
6. Its a Porsche!

GT3 Cons:
1. Price
2. 500hp only and not easy to extract more power out of it.
3. PDK only!
4. Facelift every 3 years and 5 year style cycle.

Z06 Pros:
1. Speed and faster lap times
2. Price
3. Ease of maintenance and cheaper
4. Manual transmission
5. Style stays relevant for 8 years before a new model is introduced
6. You can add another 150hp easily!
7. Head turner especially in Yellow.

Z06 Cons:
1. Built Quality especially rattling (this is coming from a C6 Z06 owner)
2. No special treatment in dealers for service. A Cruze is treated the same way as a ZR1!
3. Steering not as sharp as a GT3 and driving dynamics suffer from that. (Not sure about C7 Z06)
Some more to add:

Z06 con's:
Heat soak and performance degradation from the SC
CC brakes likely not suitable for multiple track days due to expense
Dashboard corner bound to bruise shins entering car
Redundant, improperly placed rev match downshift buttons behind steering wheel
Chevy-level entertainment system interface
Potential tire scrub when u-turning
Styling may emphasize C7 excessive black plastic vents, rather than flowing lines.
Knocking on 3500 lbs
Z06 Pros
Domestic content support
Fanboy appreciation and following everywhere

Last edited by Deuuuce; 07-11-2014 at 09:46 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 or C7 Z06?