Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

SALE STOP on all GT3's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FLAT6KING
A thrown rod caused this mess. Wow, compression too high on original spec car?
Maybe? For now the blame is on a bad batch of bolts coming loose.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:17 PM
C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !C4s Dave Is a GOD !
just now

Dear Dr.

As advised previously, engineers at Porsche AG have been conducting technical analysis of the Porsche 911 GT3 engine in order to find a solution to the problem which led us to recommend you stop driving your car.

This analysis is now completed, and we would like to inform you about the cause of the problem and the planned remedial actions.

As already communicated, two vehicles in Europe suffered engine damage, causing the vehicles to catch fire.

Analysis has revealed that in both cases the engine damage was caused by a loosened piston rod screw connection which damaged the crankcase. In order to avoid this in the future, an optimized screw connection is currently being tested. For the final validation of this solution, Porsche AG is currently carrying out extensive tests.

At Porsche we are rigorous when implementing an engineering solution, therefore, after the successful testing and validation we will be installing new engines with optimized piston rod screw connections in all 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 vehicles.

Due to the complexity of the necessary arrangement, we are currently unable to provide you with a specific workshop date for your Porsche 911 GT3. We will be arranging an appointment with you individually, as soon as the logistics planning is finalized. We will be providing you with additional information within the next three weeks.

We continue to remain committed to supporting your individual needs during this time. Your personal contact person will make contact with you within the next days to discuss individual solutions to bridge the gap until you are reunited with your Porsche 911 GT3.

Thank you very much for your patience and your loyalty to the Porsche brand.

Kind regards,

Tim Quinn
Vice President, AfterSales
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:57 PM
FLAT6KING is infamous around these partsFLAT6KING is infamous around these parts
Will people stay or will people sell instead of waiting? What about resale value? What about compensation for your time without the car? Have people been making payments on a car they could not drive??

Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Will people stay or will people sell instead of waiting? What about resale value? What about compensation for your time without the car? Have people been making payments on a car they could not drive??
I know a few people taking European delivery. What will the option be there is what I'm wondering.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:19 PM
bsavino is a jewel in the roughbsavino is a jewel in the roughbsavino is a jewel in the roughbsavino is a jewel in the rough
ahhhh but the real question is do we trust them not to burst in to flames when we take them on the track, and, God forbid, if it does happen, warranty issue or not covered because of car being used on the track?????

my delivery was for this month...not sure what to do at this point.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:43 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bsavino
ahhhh but the real question is do we trust them not to burst in to flames when we take them on the track, and, God forbid, if it does happen, warranty issue or not covered because of car being used on the track?????

my delivery was for this month...not sure what to do at this point.
In the new GT3 manual, there is a "Track Maintenance Schedule". It clearly states that this more aggressive maintenance schedule is required to maintain your warranty for track use.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nikolas
In the new GT3 manual, there is a "Track Maintenance Schedule". It clearly states that this more aggressive maintenance schedule is required to maintain your warranty for track use.
You said "In the new GT3 manual...." - almost got excited, Freudian slip? good one!- hahahaha

Old 03-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Sunny_M3 is infamous around these partsSunny_M3 is infamous around these parts
Well, instead of a new GT3, it might be worth looking into the new C7 Z06. Price is lower, horsepower is higher, and it appears that the handling will be top notch. What are everyones thoughts on this?

Old 03-17-2014, 04:11 PM
FLAT6KING is infamous around these partsFLAT6KING is infamous around these parts
If I was GM I'd be rolling out all kinds of adverts for the new Z06.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Dark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really nice
If I was GM I'd be rolling out all kinds of adverts for the new Z06.
seriously, GM, Corvette? the dream car of NASCAR fans not even close to the same market, given the choice would you rather paint with a spray can of Krylon, or a red sable brush and oils? would you rather eat chef boyardee or filet mignon? you buy a timex from wal mart or you wearing a Rolex from a jeweler? I hope they get the new engines built quickly and this mess behind us, it would make me happy if they added stronger or more titanium parts to the motor. Those ready to jump ship, have no real love of the marque, thats okay, for me I'm willing to wait for what I want and its unique with a flat 6 in the rear and from Germany, made in a clean factory where the UAW is not, where people still take pride in what they do, if its just a numbers game buy the vette or the GT-R, but let me ask you, what is life without passion?

Old 03-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Sunny_M3 is infamous around these partsSunny_M3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
seriously, GM, Corvette? the dream car of NASCAR fans not even close to the same market, given the choice would you rather paint with a spray can of Krylon, or a red sable brush and oils? would you rather eat chef boyardee or filet mignon? you buy a timex from wal mart or you wearing a Rolex from a jeweler? I hope they get the new engines built quickly and this mess behind us, it would make me happy if they added stronger or more titanium parts to the motor. Those ready to jump ship, have no real love of the marque, thats okay, for me I'm willing to wait for what I want and its unique with a flat 6 in the rear and from Germany, made in a clean factory where the UAW is not, where people still take pride in what they do, if its just a numbers game buy the vette or the GT-R, but let me ask you, what is life without passion?
I definitely agree with what you are saying; there is much more to a car than just the price and horsepower. The build quality and passion behind it are very very important. However, with that said, aren't the GT3s built on the same production line as standard 911s? Also, how much hand built materials are really on the car? It appears that the majority of the components are put together via automation. As I noted, I could be completely wrong and please correct me if I am; the last thing I want to do is make an argument that is not based on any facts, haha!

Old 03-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Dark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really niceDark Knight is just really nice
Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
I definitely agree with what you are saying; there is much more to a car than just the price and horsepower. The build quality and passion behind it are very very important. However, with that said, aren't the GT3s built on the same production line as standard 911s? Also, how much hand built materials are really on the car? It appears that the majority of the components are put together via automation. As I noted, I could be completely wrong and please correct me if I am; the last thing I want to do is make an argument that is not based on any facts, haha!
There definitely is more automation over the years, recently paint shop was automated, but the motors are made by hand, in the past GT motors were still one man one motor, now all on the same line, the final assembly of body, motor suspension interior is done by hand, I think its like 150 different stations in the factory, the Nat Geographic Porsche factory special shows a decent overview. Its the passion and history of Porsche that to me makes it special, Ive never been to the Corvette factory, but I've seen the news stories about other factories, like the one at a dodge plant where the workers drank and smoke pot on lunch break, and the union got all those who were fired rehired. Drive the Autobahn once and imagine every day Porsches run it flat out, thats why its the better car

Old 03-17-2014, 05:40 PM
So what do you do for the select 785? Give them the RS motor spec as a treat? This would establish rarity and value to the cars. What do you think like 515hp? Special serial numbered plaques? Special colored gauges ala 50th anniversary? Then what about the logistics of shipping those new motors? We all saw the financial news today so we know they can afford to do the swaps easily.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:01 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
How is the air way up there?

Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Timex vs. Rolex. Let's see, I don't have a Timex in the drawer but there is an inexpensive Seiko I wear when working on my car. That Seiko keeps better time than any Rolex, Breitling, AP, Pan or Glashutte I have. And the AP ROO has been at AP for 10 weeks waiting on parts with no end in sight. So it would seem for time keeping the Seiko might be a better choice. Price doesn't guarantee quality.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SALE STOP on all GT3's