GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Carrera GT Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Believes the hype
DMin is infamous around these parts
Carrera GT Check Engine Light

I recently took my Carrera GT to the track (Hallett Motor Racing Circuit) and towards the end of the day, the Check Engine light came on. As fate would have it, it occured just as I was approaching the front straight on the fastest lap that I had turned thus far. It felt as though the car lost at least 100 HP if not more.

Consulting the manual, it appeared as though the car was safe to drive home, but I did notice a thrum to the engine note that I had not previously noted. The power was still diminished considerably.

I have an appointment to bring the car into the dealer tomorrow, but does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? With the loss of power, I suspect that the VarioCam system may be malfunctioning, but I am not sure why a track day would cause the malfunction.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:46 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
when most cars throw a CEL it sends them into a limp mode

You'll have to see what code it throws to get a further idea of what's wrong.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:17 PM
NBCGT is infamous around these parts
Re: Carrera GT Check Engine Light

Originally posted by DMin
I recently took my Carrera GT to the track (Hallett Motor Racing Circuit) and towards the end of the day, the Check Engine light came on. As fate would have it, it occured just as I was approaching the front straight on the fastest lap that I had turned thus far. It felt as though the car lost at least 100 HP if not more.

Consulting the manual, it appeared as though the car was safe to drive home, but I did notice a thrum to the engine note that I had not previously noted. The power was still diminished considerably.

I have an appointment to bring the car into the dealer tomorrow, but does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? With the loss of power, I suspect that the VarioCam system may be malfunctioning, but I am not sure why a track day would cause the malfunction.
It's possible is a bad ignition coil pack causing the car too run on one or two cylinder's low and that would cause a misfire code and the car to go into a safety mode so no further damage can happen. A dealer is the only one who has the tools to find the code.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:17 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Old 09-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Carmel is infamous around these parts
See referenced post regarding this issue of "CEL". My bet is misfiring of cylinders and faulty control unit. Repair/replacement time 1 - 2 weeks. Worth the wait to get it done right.

Good luck

Old 09-06-2005, 10:13 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
DMin: isn't this board a great source of information? you will get it fixed just like Carmel's good luck!!

Old 09-07-2005, 12:45 AM
Ryan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to all
Hope it isnt too bad, btw arent you worried about getting your warranty voided? You never know when the spies are watching.

Old 09-07-2005, 05:38 AM
Believes the hype
Ryan

Having my warranty voided is always of concern, particularly given some of the previous posts on this forum regarding PCNA. However, for now I'll just trust things will be fixed.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:05 PM
MarsMan is infamous around these parts
Ryan

Having my warranty voided is always of concern, particularly given some of the previous posts on this forum regarding PCNA. However, for now I'll just trust things will be fixed.
Please let us know what the dealer finds out. I had the engine light come on twice and had the dealer check it out, the first one was something with the fuel vapor and the second was caused by misfires at idle.

I just let it warm up a little more before I start driving it and haven't seen any more lights. I also didn't notice a decrease in power when it happened, but didn't really push it when the light was on so it might of been hard to tell.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Believes the hype
MarsMan

I spoke with the head tech yesterday. He told me that everything was working fine after he reset the CEL. When he queried the CPU in the car, it reported some communications errors with the Traction Control system as well as the ABS. Apparently there were enough faults active that the ECU put the engine into some sort of "safe" mode, which explains the power loss. He had driven the car to test it (hopefully not at 10/10 hehe) and reported no abnormalities that he could detect.

He did want to keep the car a little longer, ostensibly to make sure there were no other faults. I suspect he also wanted to "test drive" it some more.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Ryan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to all
MarsMan

I spoke with the head tech yesterday. He told me that everything was working fine after he reset the CEL. When he queried the CPU in the car, it reported some communications errors with the Traction Control system as well as the ABS. Apparently there were enough faults active that the ECU put the engine into some sort of "safe" mode, which explains the power loss. He had driven the car to test it (hopefully not at 10/10 hehe) and reported no abnormalities that he could detect.

He did want to keep the car a little longer, ostensibly to make sure there were no other faults. I suspect he also wanted to "test drive" it some more.

"Yeah I think it needs a better look *wink wink*" Cant beleive these guys, thats h*larious