Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

991 GT3 vs 997.2 GT3RS for track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:24 AM
superman32 is a jewel in the roughsuperman32 is a jewel in the roughsuperman32 is a jewel in the roughsuperman32 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by raclaims
Yeah I get the allure of a GTR...but Porsches are very reliable and capable track machines...the GT2s do ok on track but still can't compete with the cups.
I am waiting to see what is the new 991 rs will be like.
GTR for street and 991 rs for track. My dream set up.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:25 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Let's see them sell a normal GT3 first before we all dream of the RS!!

Old 05-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Registered PM
TurboX50Basalt is infamous around these parts
GT3 RS... Get that one. PDK doesn't develop proper biceps strength. Gotta look good for summer!

Old 05-17-2014, 03:55 PM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
thats because ur 997.1 was probably a 6 speed (harder to drive n love to understeer) but if u compare ur gtr to a 991 pdk turbo.........you get the point. Oh and you can launch it at least 50 times in a row without any problem.

Originally Posted by superman32
Are u serious? I had a 997.1 turbo before and now have a 12 gtr. My lap time on the same track is at least 7 seconds faster in stock gtr than my turbo with trofeo tires. Turbo just too soft on track.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:41 PM
superman32 is a jewel in the roughsuperman32 is a jewel in the roughsuperman32 is a jewel in the roughsuperman32 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by yllwturbo
thats because ur 997.1 was probably a 6 speed (harder to drive n love to understeer) but if u compare ur gtr to a 991 pdk turbo.........you get the point. Oh and you can launch it at least 50 times in a row without any problem. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o
My 997.1 turbo was a tiptronic s.
It was soft and leak coolant after track days.
It also has turbo lag.
I have driven my friend's 991 turbo s.
It's a bit faster than my gtr at any where.
It got more power 4 wheel streering and pdcc.
But it also cost 2 times more than my gtr.
260k after tax in Canada bc. Gtr i paid around 100k after trade in and tax.
991 turbo is a better car than gtr no question about that.
But gtr came out 6 years ago and 991 turbo came out this year. 6 years and 2*s price.
I am expecting porsche can do better than that.
I will put my money on gt3. Gt3 is a lot better value for money than turbo s.
Let's see what is the new rs will be. I am exciting for that.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:25 AM
2fast4exotics is infamous around these parts
991 turbo s is a better car for the money if 200k is no factor. If it was cheap then it would be one too many like GTRs, why do people hate what they can't afford. Truth is, it is one of the fastest production cars in the world now and with a tune and an exhaust out its even more crazy. GT3 better than 991 turbo s for the price meh I think not.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by 2fast4exotics
991 turbo s is a better car for the money if 200k is no factor. If it was cheap then it would be one too many like GTRs, why do people hate what they can't afford. Truth is, it is one of the fastest production cars in the world now and with a tune and an exhaust out its even more crazy. GT3 better than 991 turbo s for the price meh I think not.
I don't hate 991 turbos. I love it.
But I'd rather buy a GT3 or GT3rs. I love Gt3s more than turbo.
Looks better and handles better.
I called 4 dealers. No one would take deposit on a 991 rs.
My sales promised me he will give me a spot once the rs released.

991 turbos is one of the fastest production cars out there.
But please don't mention turning.
We all know what GTRs can do with aftermarkets.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Yes 991 turbos is a great car, with gt3 tires it put down a second faster lap time on the ring then the gt3. I choose the turbo s because it feels great to step on the throttle everytime with torque that makes me n my passenger smile everytime. Btw 991tts will smoke a gt3 on the street when they come back with a new engine, it's like the big brother 991tts will be like hey little bro welcome back.😄 gt3 is a great car n I would choose it over a c2s or c4s but not over 991tts. Maybe I would choose 991 gt2 or gt2rs over the tts but then again turbo s is a lot faster off the line and it'll be hard for gt2 to catch up.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:11 PM
sideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by raclaims
And by the way, I crush GTRs on track all the time...they just can't take the corners well enough...too heavy.
The difference between a gt3/gt2 and a GT-R is that with the Porsches you can drive fast lap for lap for lap without any problems. The cars just goes. The GT-R is fast yes, but if you drive it hard for more than 2laps at a time you will get problems. the car is just too heavy as you said. Brakes, tires, transmission will can not stand more than 3laps of really hard driving. And that is from personal experience.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by sideWays_swe
The difference between a gt3/gt2 and a GT-R is that with the Porsches you can drive fast lap for lap for lap without any problems. The cars just goes. The GT-R is fast yes, but if you drive it hard for more than 2laps at a time you will get problems. the car is just too heavy as you said. Brakes, tires, transmission will can not stand more than 3laps of really hard driving. And that is from personal experience.
What years is your GTR?
For CBA cars yes, over heating is a big issue.

I took mine stock 12 ( only Endless Pads and RF650 fluid) on track and do 5 30mins session with zero problem.
Engine oil is 101C and transmission oil temp is 107 in morning and 113 in the afternoon sessions. The track I goes needs a lot up shifts and down shifts and known as brake killer.
I don't have to back up in the middle of each session and the car is fast.
With DBA GTRs if you are in north part of US or Canada. I would doubt you will
have issues on track with typical track days. 4*30mins or 5 * 30 mins. May be in some south states. But if you overheat you can just add a HKS DCT cooler.

The down side of track a gtr is the brake rotor cost.
Aftermarket 390 Aj jhooks cost about 1600 a pair. rear are 1400. Last 15-20 track days.
Rotors compare to my old turbo ( 180 each rotor ) is a lot more expensive.
Tires expense are almost same with 20inch R888 and my old 19 inch trofeo.
I don't do track days a lot around 6 times a year. If I do more than 12 times
I will get a set of 18 inchs wheels for track.

Another expense is transmission fluid 55 per bottler, 10 bottles each service.
But if the transmission oil temp stay below 120C is due every 3 years or 36000miles. If transmission oil is between 120-140 every 3000 miles.
But my porsche require new plugs every 3 years and coolant leak is cost 3000 to fix.

Tires are the biggest expense when you track the car.

But it's not my first choice for track car. I want a 991 gt3 rs for track and gtr for street. When I got a Gt3 rs I will make my Gtr to a straight line monster.

I want a track car with NA engine and rwd. Much more fun to drive.

Last edited by superman32; 05-26-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:32 PM
For me the 991 turbo s with a gt3 tires is the better track weapon. Very good 16" brakes for a late brake zone and awd 550 tq to gun it out of the apex. Cost of the CC rotors are probably on the expensive side.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:14 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
No slicks on 991 GT3.....

The end.

7 seconds slower in a 997.1 TT on faster tires? Are you in the advanced group? Tiptronic is slow but geez.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Pilot sport cup 2 from 991 gt3 on 991tts, replacing the original pzero, tts runs 1sec faster around the ring and it is a beast both on and off track.

Originally Posted by heavychevy
No slicks on 991 GT3.....

The end.

7 seconds slower in a 997.1 TT on faster tires? Are you in the advanced group? Tiptronic is slow but geez.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
If you have an interest in the Mezger engine trans combo then a GT3 or GT3 RS would make a very nice car to hang onto. However, if you are looking for the shortest time around the track the new 991 GT3 may well be the answer. I know people that have driven manuals for years and still can't do a proper heel/toe shift. And that doesn't deter a lot of them from taking their manual car on track and having fun. Sometimes choices can be a PITA.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 AM
NMT
Former Vendor
NMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to beholdNMT is a splendid one to behold
I am selling my 2010RS - PM me if interested.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 vs 997.2 GT3RS for track