Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Can a CGT hold up to 12,000 miles a year and lots of abuse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Can a CGT hold up to 12,000 miles a year and lots of abuse

If I get a CGT, I am going to drive that sucka to work and for work and will probably put about 12k to 15k miles on it the first year. My commute to work is about 35 minutes one way without traffic and all highway and I do a lot of 100 to 150 mile jaunts for cases in adjacent cities.

I could care less about depreciation or value and, if I get a $ 400k Porsche, I am going to drive the hell out of it. If the Porsche cannot be used like this, I am thinking maybe a lipstick red Saleen or selling a boat to get an F50 in the next year or so.

Has anyone put a lot of miles on a CGT yet. Do they hold up? What are the most miles on a CGT now? How well does clutch, brakes and everything hold up? What kind of yearly expenses am I looking at if I drove a CGT 15k miles over the next year.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:59 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Ben had a good amount of miles, he went through tires quickly he mentioned. I'd think it'd handle a lot more road use then the F50 would.

Old 09-24-2005, 02:09 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Of all the supercars on the market today, I believe the CGT would be the most reliable. They are all expensive to maintain. The CGT will require a value adjustment at around 20,000 miles. It is an involved and labor intensive ordeal. Cost will be in the five figures.

Just changing the oil requires a lot of time. Also, It was report the under carridge has over 150 different size screws and each one has to be put in the same hole otherwise you may damage the carbon body. Raising the car on a lift requires special handling and equipment. Minor rear end damage like the one to the CGT here in San Diego required over $150,000 to repair.

In conclusion, if you are insistent on buy a CGT, be sure you have very deep pockets.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:31 PM
SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !
^ Amen

Old 09-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Does anyone even have 5,000 or 10,000 miles on their CGTs.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:54 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Doug,

FWIW, the way I see it. If you can afford the car (and I know you can ), you can afford the maintenance. Don't they come with the same 4 year warranty as any other Porsche? You have to think that scheduled maintenance will be a whole lot better than any F-car. As far as tires, think of it as the price of an admission ticket for a thrill ride. I say take the dive and enjoy!

Old 09-24-2005, 04:14 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
define abuse.

i have a customer has a early 04 car with 8,500 miles with no problem at all. car looks new & runs better than new. few members here know the guy as well can verify this. he enjoys his like he stole it. i believe another member here has more miles than that.

like nick said if u want to buy a supercar & drive it the way should be the CGT will be the most reliable one. i certainly will not have second thought on the Saleen S7.

Old 09-24-2005, 05:34 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
Forget about the S7, it will burn at 2k miles LOL!!! Why don't you drive your TT for work?

Old 09-24-2005, 06:20 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
After driving the CGT daily, you'll probly get in an accident in any other car bc you'll get used to superpower.

Honestly, I don't doubt the car will hold together. I'd be more concerned about having someone chasing after me or rear end me during commute. The CF really doesn't repair easily.

Moreover, you'll spend tens of thousands $$ each year in maint alone. That wasn't your question so I doubt that'll keep you from taking it daily.

I'd say go for it if you don't mind the flash, can handle the risk, and have pocket for up keep.

BTW, what are the problem areas of CGT mechanically? I'm aware of CEL that lights up once in a while.

Last edited by djantlive; 09-24-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:25 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by DEETZ
Forget about the S7, it will burn at 2k miles LOL!!!
that's a dumb comment

Old 09-24-2005, 07:08 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is infamous around these parts
maybe not 2k but 20k

Old 09-24-2005, 07:10 PM
dzy
dzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by HotRodGuy
that's a dumb comment
Boy, you're really passionate about domestic cars, aren't you?

Old 09-24-2005, 07:10 PM
eh, he'll sell it by then

Old 09-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
We maintain 5 CGT's in our area and one client drives his car daily ...... And he even gets stuck on the 405 parking lot @ 5 pm.

Its probably the most usable supercar on the road today..

Drive the damn thing.. And dont turn it into a garage queen....

Old 09-24-2005, 07:55 PM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
Originally posted by djantlive
The CF really doesn't repair easily.
Understatement of the year!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can a CGT hold up to 12,000 miles a year and lots of abuse