Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

carrera gt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Former Vendor
HZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by AMG ETR
Thanks HZ, yea the ECU upgrade yields 38HP

Mark had mentioned he had the exhaust coming for that car out there, he is working on getting the programing and filter from us as well, will be cool to see what kind of power that car makes with the 3 parts!
Evan

Should be real interesting Evan... a CGT with an 50 HP would be real cool

Old 12-31-2005, 12:15 AM
Former Vendor
HZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Brad Roberts
Soo.. it appears we will have the option of controlling sound?

Looks like a stock muffler to me that has been hacked in to.

True?

B
The sound control has been retained but I am pretty sure that is a whole new can.. The CG unit is lighter than the stock unit so that would lead me to believe the materials used are different

Old 12-31-2005, 12:17 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Dammit some people have all the fun... Here I am with Range Rover Exhausts!

Old 12-31-2005, 12:30 AM
cnc
Awaiting Email Confirmation
cnc is infamous around these parts
Well, Range Rovers will exhaust you!

Old 12-31-2005, 07:41 AM
Former Vendor
Originally posted by sharkster
Dammit some people have all the fun... Here I am with Range Rover Exhausts!

You are from England right?

Old 12-31-2005, 07:56 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by HZ@cargraphic

You are from England right?
Yes true... so where are all the Aston Martins? Shux...

Old 12-31-2005, 08:08 AM
Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by brab
That is one UGLY car....
Wow, I'm surprised you've seen it since it's not released or for sale yet

Old 12-31-2005, 12:07 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Hamann7
If you think $50K worth of mods on a 996TT can match the performance of a 996 GT3 Cup car on slicks, then you may have a point. On a track day this year at Spring Mountain (a relatively tight track), the Cup car was the only car among various GT3's, 2's, etc. that was faster than the CGT, and it wasn't by much. I can assure you that most of these heavily modded Turbos are no where close to that level.
Certainly, weight is the biggest drawback to the 996TT platform, but I wouldn't characterize the difference as the CGT 'flat-out destroy'ing the modified Turbo. Quicker in the hands of a pro, sure. I doubt any streetable 996TT have gotten down to 7:28 on the ring, but a 7:40, why not? How much of an ***-woopin is that on a 450 second lap for the extra 250k you had to spend to do it?

On the street, with anything less than pro drivers, and the AWD/PSM combo of the 996TT will allow you to get much closer to the limit than you dare in a CGT.

There's no doubt the CGT *is* intrinsically superior, but I suspect it's not a compelling enough distinction to hold up the market for over 1,000 of them.

Unless you supercharged the CGT, of course

(come on, Hamster, I'm teeing that one up for you )

Old 12-31-2005, 12:19 PM
mikejones997 is infamous around these partsmikejones997 is infamous around these parts
38 hp from an ecu ... i wil like to see that on a dyno

Old 12-31-2005, 12:26 PM
Brad Roberts is infamous around these parts
Pony up:

530+Hp normally aspirated dyno tuned + tested 3.8 GT3/RSR/DP engines. Designed for 40hours of use.

65k installed.

In a narrow GT3 cup car... you would probably be door to door with the CGT.

Let me know if you want the phone number for the place PMNA

B

Old 12-31-2005, 12:36 PM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
Very few cars are worth more than 50% of MSRP after 5 years. With more than 1100 made, it is not that rare. Look at a Ferrari 550 or a SL600 for an idea. Anybody want a Jag 220 at a huge discount....
Porsche actually has one of the highest resale values, but even at that 50% at 5 yrs is good.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by PMac
Certainly, weight is the biggest drawback to the 996TT platform, but I wouldn't characterize the difference as the CGT 'flat-out destroy'ing the modified Turbo. Quicker in the hands of a pro, sure. I doubt any streetable 996TT have gotten down to 7:28 on the ring, but a 7:40, why not? How much of an ***-woopin is that on a 450 second lap for the extra 250k you had to spend to do it?

On the street, with anything less than pro drivers, and the AWD/PSM combo of the 996TT will allow you to get much closer to the limit than you dare in a CGT.

There's no doubt the CGT *is* intrinsically superior, but I suspect it's not a compelling enough distinction to hold up the market for over 1,000 of them.

Unless you supercharged the CGT, of course

(come on, Hamster, I'm teeing that one up for you )
In the hands of even an average driver, a Carrera GT at 6/10s will beat the **** out of a 996TT at 9/10ths.

I am not sure you understand just how hard it is to get 7:40 from a 996TT. At that level, every fraction of a seconds is exponentially harder to shave off. Even the Gemballa GTR which ran a 7:32 costs somewhere close to $300K, and the base platform was a GT3, not a Turbo.

It's really not as easy as you might imagine.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:36 PM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Why anyone would want more power in a CGT is beyond me. You have to have driven one to understand my puzzlement.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:51 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by Hamann7
In the hands of even an average driver, a Carrera GT at 6/10s will beat the **** out of a 996TT at 9/10ths.
Define 'beat the **** out of'. We may have the same perception of the difference, but attach a different significance to it.

On a typical 2-3 mile track, a 10-second N-ring advantage reduces to a couple of seconds per lap. So, I pay 450 k for my CGT , dash off a lap, then count 1 - hippopotamus - 2 - hippopotamus, and here comes the 150k modified 996TT.

I know, I could get into a Formula Ford for about the cost of a cup of coffee, and wipe the floor with both Porsches, and it's not really about that.

And I'm sure the CGT driver goes home with a bigger grin on his face, but in terms of g-forces (lat or long), the difference between the cars is maybe 10% tops, and with appropriate aero mods on the TT, maybe not that.

I don't for one second believe that it's a trivial matter to build a street car that laps Nring in 7:40, but in the real world, the performance envelopes are close enough that not enough people

a) value the difference (+ subjective ratings, too) at 250k
b) have the coin to drop 400k on the CGT

'das all's a'm sayins'

Old 12-31-2005, 04:33 PM
cnc
Awaiting Email Confirmation
cnc is infamous around these parts
I have driven both the CGT and a GT2. Both on the track

I think by anyone's objective scale the differences are a lot greater than 10%.

In fact, the cars are engineered so differently I doubt there is a valid comparison. To begin with, to drive, each requires a different technique and focus.

The "value" equation, for each, is so skewed by the ability (or inability) to purchase either that comparisons are also meaningless, except to the individual with the wherewithal to choose either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: carrera gt