Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Another smashed CGT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Stephan has a spectacular aura aboutStephan has a spectacular aura aboutStephan has a spectacular aura about
Sad to see another Carrera GT bite the dust. Glad to hear the driver is ok.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Bill S. is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by icon
no offense, but what does any of these things have to do with a cgt? other cars are not capable of doing these things?
Exactly. I'm assuming CGTs are crashing for the same reasons we see with other high-performance cars. If there's a different reason, then it would be good to know for current and future owners.

It just seems that 3 or 4 crashes out of the 10 or so owners on this forum is rather high.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:26 PM
fayence has a spectacular aura aboutfayence has a spectacular aura aboutfayence has a spectacular aura about
I think it is actually a very simple answer, one that was covered by a car magazine recently: most people under-estimate how much stability management in most modern cars is saving them. The GT is a super-powerful car, and without any stability control at all, too much throttle can easily turn into too much car.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:45 PM
deanger is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by fayence
I think it is actually a very simple answer, one that was covered by a car magazine recently: most people under-estimate how much stability management in most modern cars is saving them. The GT is a super-powerful car, and without any stability control at all, too much throttle can easily turn into too much car.
Absolutely! I remember going through all this when I got one of the first "widow maker" GT2's.

If you think about it, every car has its limit. The higher the speed and lateral g's associated with that limit, the worse it is going to be for non-expert drivers to attempt a recovery. I mean, we're talking about speeds and cornering forces that were reserved for f1 only a few years ago.

I remember nearly losing the GT2 on a descending off camber left-hander at an not super insane rate of speed when I hit a sudden patch of broken pavement that completely unweighted the nose. Had I been at a higher rate of speed, who knows...

Old 03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
chadc4s is infamous around these parts
wow, how did you get to post copart auction picture?

Old 03-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nberry
T

Rockitman the problem is with this car you do not know what your limit is and when you find out it is too late. There is nothing that will save your butt.
That's assinine. You can't blame the car, it's the drivers responsibility to control the car, the car is legal. Everyone that buys a high performance car needs to baby it for awhile until they learn the car, just like on a motorcycle. If some yahoo buys a Busa and has never ridden anything like it before and hammers it, well, you know what's gonna happen, same goes for any car.

Christian

Old 03-21-2006, 06:01 PM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
I think that's exactly correct and confirms what Nick has been saying for the last almost one year.

Here's a similar example. I traded my 996tt cab for a 360 Spider last spring. The F is less powerfull than the P by a long shot, but the p has much more nanny. I was always very comfortable hammering the thing in all sorts of circumstances and having the nanny save my stupid ***. When i took the F for a test drive, I hammered the throttle on an on-ramp and the rear started to come out. I thought, holy crap, I could really get in trouble with this admittedly less powerful car!

Multiply that accel force by a factor for the cgt and you can imagine how much respect the cgt demands.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:15 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I would love to learn more about how the accident happened. Until then, I think we should reserve judgement.

Looks like the car held up well if it was in a high speed incident.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:39 PM
gdctus997 is infamous around these parts
Enough said. Too close to here...

Old 03-21-2006, 07:41 PM
gdctus997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Christian
That's assinine. You can't blame the car, it's the drivers responsibility to control the car, the car is legal. Everyone that buys a high performance car needs to baby it for awhile until they learn the car, just like on a motorcycle. If some yahoo buys a Busa and has never ridden anything like it before and hammers it, well, you know what's gonna happen, same goes for any car.

Christian
Good drivers don't get into trouble? Please....

Old 03-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gdctus997
Good drivers don't get into trouble? Please....
It has nothing to do with being a good driver, it has to do with knowing your car which usually takes some time. Most of these wrecks have happened very soon after purchase.

I am sure you could handle it right off the bat though

Christian

Old 03-21-2006, 10:04 PM
ExtinctM3 has a spectacular aura aboutExtinctM3 has a spectacular aura about
Do you always have to battle someone Christian?

Old 03-21-2006, 10:36 PM
^how exactly am I battling someone? I made a statement for crying out loud, he was sarcastic to me, however, I am not allowed to be, gotcha. I am not part of the boys club yet I guess.

Christian

Old 03-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Speedracer38 is infamous around these parts
Its sad to see such an amazing car wreck, but at the end of the day its just a car and a life is worth much more then a car.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:49 PM
^agreed!

Christian

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another smashed CGT