Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Carrera GT vs. Saleen S7 Experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:29 PM
maddog is infamous around these parts
Question Carrera GT vs. Saleen S7 Experience?

My name's Matt and I've been moaping around the 6speed threads for a while now and thought I'd ask about this. I searched the archives but could not find any information.

Has anyone tried both of these from personal experience and can anyone give any feedback?

This forum has some invaluable information on both super cars as well as entrepreneuring, I appreciate the posts! I am 22 and will be graduating Ga Tech in December. Nice engineering degree for my attic. I own a nutritional business I started and have been heading for close to a year now that has done quite well and will be stating some investments in Comm RE in Florida. I'll move to the St. Pete area in January, I've been taking some trips done there when I can to look at some properties - love the atmosphere! I've been a car lover all my life, own a pretty decked out/modded C5 I wear out daily (I know this is a porsche forum - no bashing the new guy ) but intend to bump it up a notch in the next couple years and this forum has some great reads - and honest experience reads, not found eslewhere usually .

Thanks for any information!

-Matt

Last edited by maddog; 04-08-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Saleen TT should dominate the Carrera GT in a straight line. Outside of that I don't know. I believe the Saleen costs more than a Carrera GT; regardless of cost, I would rather own a CGT

Old 04-08-2006, 11:09 PM
From the specs I've read, the S7 is lighter and quicker at the jump, but the GT picks up at top end, more HP. Anyone have any info on driveability, comfort, cornering, torque feel?

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2006, 11:39 PM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
Saleen TT will cost you 650k+ which is about 275k more than you could buy a nice CGT for. Yes the Saleen will be faster in the straight line, yes it may be more exotic but it will never be a CGT. The build quality, the overall feel, the track ability or the reliability will never stand up to that of the porsche. If I ever had the money for a Saleen TT I would buy a CGT and then take the extra 275 and buy myself a Cayenne TTS and a Lamborghini of some sort. You can buy a CGT and a whole lot more for the price of that Saleen.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:19 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
The CGT is not much slower than a Salleen in terms of 1/4 mile. I personally think the Salleen is of lesser quality, does not look as exotic as a CGT and doesnt have the trackability the CGT has. The saleen runs a 10.9 in the quarter while the CGT runs from 11.1-11.3 in the 1/4. I think by 100 the saleen is just shy of a second faster but it has 145 more hp and over 150 lb ft more tq and is about 200 lbs lighter than the CG, so it should be faster, despite those facts I am suprised its only a little bit faster. Even the power figures and the CGT has it beat like it was standing still. Also, Hennessey has a twin turbo kit for the CGT. Dont know the price but u can check it out for yourself but with this upgrade the CGT runs low 10's and traps 140+.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:27 AM
That's an amazing trap speed

The build quality is a definitive point, but are the S7's priced that much over msrp ($375K)? The 2 links below are 2 for sale on fleebay, I cant imagine they are asking twice what they are listed at now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferra...28370959QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...28907866QQrdZ1

Old 04-09-2006, 12:45 AM
A430v is infamous around these parts
Maybe we can make this comparo during our Saleen factory tour that's coming up on the 21st. One of us can bring our CGTs to come play. I would love to drive a Saleen S7. hehehehehe.

Cheers,
-Nick

Old 04-09-2006, 01:21 AM
brn2bn1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
Also, Hennessey has a twin turbo kit for the CGT. Dont know the price but u can check it out for yourself but with this upgrade the CGT runs low 10's and traps 140+.
Low 10's hmm....and this information is from???

Old 04-09-2006, 02:07 AM
Ryan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to all
Hi there maddog,

I've experienced the CGT a few times so I may be biased. I would lean toward the CGT over the Salleen for a few reasons.

-How many service centers are there for S7s?
-S7 Warranty?
-proven durability/reliability for S7?
-From a CGT owner I saw him post that he thought the S7 looked like a kit car, Im not sure if they have changed their fit and finish since but that is a good thing to keep your eye on when checking them out in person.

-S7.... no ABS ... this is a road car?
-outrageous claim of being able to drive upside down in a tunnel....bs

I can go on and on, I think it just comes down to what you want to live with. I cant get enough of the CGTs V10 scream, to me, the CGT is the most practical supercar to date.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:14 AM
magwheel is infamous around these parts
S7's priced that much over msrp?

Originally Posted by maddog
That's an amazing trap speed

The build quality is a definitive point, but are the S7's priced that much over msrp ($375K)? The 2 links below are 2 for sale on fleebay, I cant imagine they are asking twice what they are listed at now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferra...28370959QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...28907866QQrdZ1
The 2005 S7s MSRP for the non-twin turbo was around $450-475K. I was looking at one down in Columbus, Ohio while I was contemplating buying the Maranello. I didn't think they were worth the money and to be honest, at the time I couldn't handle the difference in the price of the two. The Twin Turbo's MSRP is I think somewhere in the $575K area. I think you might have missed the 'Reserve Not Met' phrase in the auction ad. People usually start their auctions well below their asking price to stimulate bidding.

I once talked to a Porsche dealer in Illinois and he stated that in the 'Supercar' arena, they're considered 'kit cars". That may be a little too harsh but it makes you wonder why he said that.

I have an 04 CGT and love it. That high pitched whine makes you feel like you're next to Michael Schmaker in a F1 race on their circuit. I have to agree on build quality. There aren't to many bettter than Porsce!

Old 04-09-2006, 10:29 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by brn2bn1
Low 10's hmm....and this information is from???
Here you go man...check it out, let me know what u think...

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/...ctionReq=Where

Old 04-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Also, IIRC, Gemballa offered a Twin Turbo conversion for the CGT that pushed power to 1000 HP. Although, I wouldn't ruin the beautiful artwork with modifications.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by magwheel
The 2005 S7s MSRP for the non-twin turbo was around $450-475K. The Twin Turbo's MSRP is I think somewhere in the $575K area.
That's the difference in price I was missing, didn't realize the TT and S7 version were that diferent in price. One of the ebay auction's was engaged at $250K and I figured that would be about $100K off asking for the S7.

I once talked to a Porsche dealer in Illinois and he stated that in the 'Supercar' arena, they're considered 'kit cars". That may be a little too harsh but it makes you wonder why he said that.

I have an 04 CGT and love it. That high pitched whine makes you feel like you're next to Michael Schmaker in a F1 race on their circuit. I have to agree on build quality. There aren't to many bettter than Porsce!
Good point, I'll look for the commentary on the fit n finish from the Saleen tour some of you are attending...damn I wish I could go! The angular bodystyle of the S7 is IMHO the best automotive artform on the road. Beautiful GT BTW, I'm going to Germany for a week in December and hope to see a few there! That car is definitely a motivation for me to keep doin what I'm doing!

Old 04-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Fanman is infamous around these parts
Also just get the Eurotek ECU upgrade, and the AWE straightpipes & you are looking at another 50-60 hp on the Carrera GT. Don't know how many more hp you want to get from the GT, just that you will practically kill yourself in most corners. maybe in the straights the Saleen TT is faster but I agree with the guy that said it is essentially a kit car. You mention to 100 casual car enthusiasts that you have a Porsche, or Ferrari & they know what that means. How many people would truly know what a Saleen S7 is ? He is mostly known a tuner of Mustangs. Not hating but if you drop $600K it should have the words Porsche, Ferrari, Pagani, or Lambo in front of it. IMO.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:19 PM
icon is infamous around these parts
I once talked to a Porsche dealer in Illinois and he stated that in the 'Supercar' arena, they're considered 'kit cars". That may be a little too harsh but it makes you wonder why he said that
michael,
because he is a porsche dealer!
but i agree the car just looks too busy and cheap to me with all the vents.
i would never consider one over a cgt!
but i wouldnt consider one period, so i'm biased!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT vs. Saleen S7 Experience?