Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Check out the C6 ZO6 w/removalable roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:29 AM
burnout04 is infamous around these parts
Furthermore, please name what components were carried over from Audi, I'd be interested in hearing. Only ones I know of are portions of the stereo and A/C unit. Thats it. THE MOST CRITICAL POINT OF CONTACT on a vehicle, the steering wheel, is what evokes the feel of a car the most, and Chevy used the crappiest part in their bin for it. On top of that, so what if Lambo uses Audi parts? Maybe it's because Audi makes the best interiors in the business!! (according to the critics) I'm a lover of the new Z06, regardless of whether or not it has a leaf spring suspension. But lets not try to kid anyone, even the Z06 is built like crap, though it is a great value. You want a bargain? Get a Z06. You want the entire package? Get a european sportscar (no British ones though haha)

Old 04-21-2006, 11:43 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
To add insult to injury, buyers (suckers) are paying 10k to 20k over sticker 80k to 85k. I don't care how many improvements have been made over the C5, which was a complete POS, and how much rubber it can burn, in the end, it's a Chevy, with interior parts from other cheap GM products, built by UAW workers. End of story.

Last edited by 9Eleven; 04-21-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:07 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
evsmotors,

is the pic in your avitar taken on highway 6 near sugar land??

Old 04-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
It is a good thing no one got killed. They need to pull the C6 off of the streets until they learn how to build a roof that stays on.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:37 PM
O4 GT3
Vader13 has a spectacular aura aboutVader13 has a spectacular aura about

Old 04-21-2006, 01:55 PM
eshaun is infamous around these partseshaun is infamous around these parts
whoops, they forgot to add in the co-pilot ejector seat with that feature

Old 04-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Banned
evsmotors has a spectacular aura aboutevsmotors has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bmoores
evsmotors,

is the pic in your avitar taken on highway 6 near sugar land??
No, it was taken when the car was still in British Columbia. Sure does look like Sugarland doesn't it?

Old 04-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Dave@EFI is infamous around these partsDave@EFI is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by burnout04
Furthermore, please name what components were carried over from Audi, I'd be interested in hearing. Only ones I know of are portions of the stereo and A/C unit. Thats it. THE MOST CRITICAL POINT OF CONTACT on a vehicle, the steering wheel, is what evokes the feel of a car the most, and Chevy used the crappiest part in their bin for it. On top of that, so what if Lambo uses Audi parts? Maybe it's because Audi makes the best interiors in the business!! (according to the critics) I'm a lover of the new Z06, regardless of whether or not it has a leaf spring suspension. But lets not try to kid anyone, even the Z06 is built like crap, though it is a great value. You want a bargain? Get a Z06. You want the entire package? Get a european sportscar (no British ones though haha)
No need to name them...take a look at any Murci or Gallardo interior and you'll see. Most (if not all) major manufacturers use carry over parts from other models. It's cost prohibitive to make a totally new set of parts for every car. Take a good look at the various manufacturers and you'll see how many use the same steering wheel from car to car. It's not a facet unique to GM.

Z06 built like crap? LOL, well it's no hand built exotic, but GM never made any claim to fame for their build quality either. It's a purspose built sports car with huge performance and a not so huge price tag, and that's what most people who have any inkling about performance cars take it as. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:11 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Just to be fair. There are also parts shared between the Boxters and the GT2s. No big deal.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Correct Vince.

The Modena and the F430 share doors and roof panel......$170k MSRP car.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Banned
Your right, but the Boxster is no Cavalier or Malibu or a econobox passenger car. It also starts at $43k and costs upwards to $80k depending on all the crazy options you pick, so quality is there in a Boxster not a Malibu econobox.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by evsmotors
Your right, but the Boxster is no Cavalier or Malibu or a econobox passenger car. It also starts at $43k and costs upwards to $80k depending on all the crazy options you pick, so quality is there in a Boxster not a Malibu econobox.
Double standards are fine as long as you're spending alot of money?

The fact of the matter is, demeaning a car or it's manufacturer because they used carry over parts is ridiculous, and more often than not, misinformed or naive. Most people who make criticisms like that either have not spent much time behind more than a handful of different cars, or don't pay enough attention to the cars they are spending time with.

I am sure you can find a bunch of reasons to knock the Z06, I just don't think carry over parts are one of them.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Banned
Sure spending more money on the Boxster is justified. It is much better quality than any modern Corvette, you can compare them side by side. Even if its dog slow compared to the new Z06 I would pick the Boxster over the Vette any day. I rather have a quality built car and pay more for it or less in the case of Z06 versus Boxster. I will say the majority on this board understands what quality cars. I'm probably one of the most diverse guys on this board, just look at my cars and bikes. I've spent time in the seats of the C2's, C3's, C4's, C5's and C6 and know that they are not quality cars. If anything the C2 generation is my favorite. The C5 has POS leather, if you can even call it that. I don't even think its vinyl, probably just a thick layer of fake leather paint on top of a cloth seat.

Dave, I see that you ordered a 997 GT3, congrats on that! I promise you that the roof isn't glued on and won't fly off!

Old 04-21-2006, 03:42 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by evsmotors
I am just using the Boxsters and GT2 as example, and in no way trying to talk down on another Pcar.
There is over $100K MSRP difference between the Boxter and the GT2 vs. 50-60K or so between the Cavalier and Z06. Sharing parts is OK for those who are in the market for these type of cars.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:48 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dave@EFI
Double standards are fine as long as you're spending alot of money?

The fact of the matter is, demeaning a car or it's manufacturer because they used carry over parts is ridiculous, and more often than not, misinformed or naive. Most people who make criticisms like that either have not spent much time behind more than a handful of different cars, or don't pay enough attention to the cars they are spending time with.

I am sure you can find a bunch of reasons to knock the Z06, I just don't think carry over parts are one of them.
I think the point is that driven as it is intended to be driven, the ZO6 in all likliehood is going to be scrap before its time. I understand what you are saying, but the reality is if its losing body panels and its integrity who cares how fast it is? What kind of value does that represent?

I mean if I have to cough up another 15K for a slower 997S but am assured I can drive it like it was intended for 100K miles + and still be worth something I'm going to buy the slower car.

*Edit* FYI I bought a new C5 Roadster back in 01' and am familiar with the C6 as well. They are good cars IMO, but they are not great.

Last edited by SD1; 04-21-2006 at 03:51 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check out the C6 ZO6 w/removalable roof