Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Hairline cracks in PCCB rotor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:09 AM
On Pole is a jewel in the roughOn Pole is a jewel in the roughOn Pole is a jewel in the rough
The v2 PCCB brake rotors have 400,000 carbon fiber bundles. Which has been increased from 3,000. This leads to much more longer life. A new lost core forming process aids in production which will ultimately lower costs for replacement.The rotors with their new arcus internal design allow less frictional air movement internally. So that at 200km/hr more 250 litres of air per second. This is a 20% increase in efficiency over the old PCCB's
. So:
TAKE A GT3 WITH 381BHP
takes only 14.3 secs to go from 0-200km/h(124mph). The new PCCB v.2 only takes 5.4 secs to DECELERATE form 125mph to zero! That equates to max brake performance of 1,200 HP!

Old 09-07-2006, 06:51 AM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
Are the new PCCB v.2's direct replacement of the orig. PCCB's on the car? If so, then the question is how soon will the price come down? Do you guys think the price on a set would come down to less than $5000 any time soon?

Old 09-07-2006, 08:03 AM
On Pole is a jewel in the roughOn Pole is a jewel in the roughOn Pole is a jewel in the rough
Once the new Brembo discs come out the price will drop.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:03 PM
CinqueValvole is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bli8
Are the new PCCB v.2's direct replacement of the orig. PCCB's on the car? If so, then the question is how soon will the price come down? Do you guys think the price on a set would come down to less than $5000 any time soon?
I believe the rotor rings on the PCCB V.2 are a direct replacement.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:29 AM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bli8
Here're a couple of close-up's. What do you guys think? What's strange is that only the right rear has cracks, the fronts and other rear rotor don't have any.
hullo any more info on your cracks. that is weird because i have the similar issue more hairline crack on right rear then left rear, but mine do not connect to all 3 holes, they run straight thru. iwent to the dealer and they said they cant see any cracks. LOL. i showed them with a flash light, they siad it is only surface crack and it is normal.

i will post some pics later

thanks

Old 11-05-2008, 12:16 PM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Originally Posted by On Pole

TAKE A GT3 WITH 381BHP
takes only 14.3 secs to go from 0-200km/h(124mph). The new PCCB v.2 only takes 5.4 secs to DECELERATE form 125mph to zero! That equates to max brake performance of 1,200 HP!
stopping distance (or time) is determined by the tires.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
How many miles on the rotors? its not unusual... it probably came that way and you never noticed it, a lot of the gen 1 rotors came out of the box looking like that, it really isnt a problem, even between the holes like that, these arent cast iron rotors, I would worry more about flaking then those cracks in your pictures, It is only on the surface they dont run through the rotor, still a good idea to have the dealer look at it though, cant be absolutely certain just from a picture,(like trying to diagnose a car over the phone lol) if the rotor was bad and the cracks went all the way through it most likely would of already failed.

Here is porsche's exact wording on those cracks for pccb,
Cracks (tension release texture) in the brake disc friction surfaces

Cracks in brake disc friction surfaces have different implications than for grey cast iron brake discs.

Cracks are not a wear criterion for PCCB brake discs but are already present in new condition (depending on production).
  • Due to the different material composition of the friction layer and rotor body, the friction surfaces (even in new condition) are covered with a non-critical crack pattern (tension release texture). Individual tension release cracks partially course along the perforation bores.
  • The tension release texture is produced during production starting at the brake disc surface and does not represent a safety risk. There is also no danger of the friction layers chipping from the rotor body, as the friction layers have nearly no residual stress due to the tension release texture.
  • The tension release texture is clearly visible in new condition and can differ considerably between the retainer side and opposite retainer side of the brake disc.

Last edited by Porsche917; 11-05-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
back from the dead.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:36 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
I would forget about it, my car had way more cracks than that brand new with 12 miles on it. Now with 5000 miles they look about the same as they did with 12 miles.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:55 PM
mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !mikymu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Moogle
they are connecting 3 holes, you need a new rotor.
ouch!

Old 11-18-2008, 03:51 PM
ianburst is infamous around these parts
I have just got new Gen 2 PCCB front rotors and pads as one of the original Gen 1 rotors delaminated.Does anyone know if there is a recommended brake in procedure for PCCB?

Old 11-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
yes there is...and it is better to break in new rotors with used pads (or new pads with used rotors) if possible...follow the manufacturers recommendations for the pads you are using...if they are stock Pccb pads I believe several moderate decels from 70 to 30, allowing the brakes to cool between each decel and then a couple more agressive decels from 90-100 mph to 50mph allowing cooling between decels will bed them properly...you should do a search on bedding pccb pads or ask for Porsche's recommendations for gen II rotors to make sure as the procedure when rotor and pad are new may be different

Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 PM
ianburst is infamous around these parts
Chuck,thanks.Can't find anything on PCCB.I was hoping someone with GT2 or CGT might have direct experience.Porsche Centre says they always put new pads and new rotors on together and do the braking sequence you mentioned.I could put the new pads on the existing Gen 1 rotors but they are partially delaminated and might chew them up more than required.In turn these pads may be too rough for the new rotors.They cost too much to do it wrong!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
given your situation I wouldn't put the new pads on your chewed up rotors and if they have transferred material to the pads I wouldn't put the old pads on your new rotors either...no one ever said don't put new pads with new rotors, it is just more desireable (easier break-in) if one or the other isn't new...just drive it easy at first...a few mild stops to set everything and then follow the procedure they gave you...good luck...you will like the gen II's

Old 11-19-2008, 04:10 AM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ianburst
I have just got new Gen 2 PCCB front rotors and pads as one of the original Gen 1 rotors delaminated.Does anyone know if there is a recommended brake in procedure for PCCB?
If you don't mind me asking? Where did you get them and what was the cost?
thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hairline cracks in PCCB rotor