Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Test Drive Protocol

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:57 PM
CJA
CJA is a jewel in the roughCJA is a jewel in the roughCJA is a jewel in the rough
Test Drive Protocol

I am selling my GT3 and wondered what the protocol is for letting prospective buyers test drive it.

TIA,

Old 06-09-2006, 01:22 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
tough call. trust ur instinct. guys that are shopping for GT3 pretty much know what they want already. u be the driver on high speed test drives so buyer can feel the car. let them drive it on local street only.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Arling. Let the person do some spirited driving, but I wouldn't let them wring it out.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
Thats the reason I do not sell my cars to private parties, unless the person is well known to me. I don't let anyone drive my Porsche car. I always trade in my old P to the dealership. Cleaner deal that way. It may cost me a little money but I can tolerate that.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:26 PM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
Agree on a price first and a handshake that it is a done deal. Then let them drive it around the block with you as the passenger.

If you can't agree on the sale first, forget the drive. You are not a used car lot!

Old 06-09-2006, 02:58 PM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
Its a tricky situation. If someone just absolutely beats the crap out of your car you should tell them immedietely to stop. I never beat a car I am testing out. You can get the feel for a car without having to abuse it. Now I am young so people look at me strange when I go in for a test drive but luckily most P-car guys in the area know me very well because I instruct with PCA, BMWCCA, etc. My guess would be just make sure he is not being "abusive."

Old 06-11-2006, 01:31 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
I agree its a tough call but I would say most guys looking at a GT3 know exactly what it is and that alone is security for me. They will be fellow enthusiasts and in all likliehood very respectful of you and your car.

As a buyer I would want to drive it but feel that you and I could agree on a price and then drive the car. In my case I would probably tell you I have cash, or am approved for a loan with whatever bank so you could feel comfortable knowing I could buy the car, but thats me and I know not everyone operates the same way. I wouldn't sweat it much, most guys I run across have good instincts. Follow your gut.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:23 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
After a pre-qual conversation, I take the prospective buyer on a drive with me at the wheel, so he can look/listen/feel/discuss from the passenger seat. Then, if everything's gone well to that point and I don't get the feeling he's wasting my time or is a safety risk, I let him drive for a little while and then back to the starting point. If he wants to wring it out, he has to buy it, but a little spirited driving is fine if he's serious and seems to be a normal, straightforward guy.

If you're worried things could get out of hand, you could always put a plastic trash bag over the seat before he gets behind the wheel and if he gets out of control, just stab him between the ribs, grab the wheel and pull over. Then just pull the trash bag up and over him and leave him off the roadway. The interior stays clean, and the day is salvaged.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:42 PM
CJA
CJA is a jewel in the roughCJA is a jewel in the roughCJA is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Super D, I especially liked yours. I might even let the buyer know before hand.

Originally Posted by Super D
If you're worried things could get out of hand, you could always put a plastic trash bag over the seat before he gets behind the wheel and if he gets out of control, just stab him between the ribs, grab the wheel and pull over. Then just pull the trash bag up and over him and leave him off the roadway. The interior stays clean, and the day is salvaged.
If at all possible, I'm going to just keep my car. I love it.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:53 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
First I never show my cars at my house. I meet in a parking area close by. Second I make sure we agree upon a price, how and when they will pay for the car and they sign a "as is" sale agreement I use, which outlines all the details and timing of the deal. Once the deal is done I am happy to offer a ride in the car. From that point on it is based on feel for who you are dealing with. I never let anyone drive without a copy of their insurance in hand (insurnance card) showing it is current.

To be honest my last 4 p cars have been sold to friends. My other cars of late have been leased and turned in or traded in.

Good luck!

JCM

Old 06-13-2006, 05:50 PM
naparsei is infamous around these parts
Anyone with sense will want to drive the car before they offer for it. If you are so paranoid, follow Doctor K's good advice. If you are trying to capture the pricing differential between dealer trade-in and private party, you are taking some risk. Obviously, you should limit the risk as much as realistically possible - realistically being the key word. Get their DL and insurance and make a copy, then go for a ride. Drive them first, then let them drive the car - after all, they're looking to shell out $85K or so.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:05 PM
eshaun is infamous around these partseshaun is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by grussell
Agree on a price first and a handshake that it is a done deal. Then let them drive it around the block with you as the passenger.

If you can't agree on the sale first, forget the drive. You are not a used car lot!
exactly...test drive should be the icing on the cake after all things have been agreed upon. If they are still in the decision making mode, tell them to meet you at the next DE or trackday so it wont be a waste of your time.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 AM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CJA
If at all possible, I'm going to just keep my car. I love it.
This is the typical Porche owner comment,,,Can't tell you how many time's I have heard it and.....said it! good for you!

Old 06-14-2006, 12:49 AM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
i saw you on the other forum as well and i wasn't kidding with my response. i will size up the buyer. if he KNOWS GT3 and is ready and willing to buy, i will let him test drive it know that he has the ability and willingness to pay for any damage he may cause. i test drove my recent GT3 purchase after 200 miles on thunderhill raceway.

not every GT3 is equally as fast. not all of them is set up correctly. this is my 4th GT3 so i am pretty in tune with these machines. i want to make sure the particular car i am buying is indeed what i want, not just any GT3.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:50 AM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
cja, pm me about your spec, price and location.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Drive Protocol