Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Voltage gauge not working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:12 AM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
Voltage gauge not working?

Any advice please. Had gauge faces changed. Looks great however, the voltage gauge doesn't work now. Removed gauge cluster again to check v-gauge and connections. Noticed that v-gauge needle will move freely w/o any tension. When checked against remaining needles all have much more tension. Broken needle gear in v-gauge? Fixable or need to be replaced? Part number from back of gauge on laminated sticker:
VDO
99265192G
Assembled
04-01-2004

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:46 AM
D-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud ofD-UberCars has much to be proud of
Thanks to Eddie Seabold at Tacoma Speedometer & Instrument, Inc. and Dave Meister at Meister Gauge Faces they stepped up by offering me a parted out volt gauge from another full cluster. Started to work up a sweat, hear Porsche may only sell the full cluster set to the tune of $1,800!
Be careful when moding your gauge faces, found out (after the fact) that the volt gauge can easily break when attempting to remove the pointer.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:57 PM
grahamtwatson is infamous around these parts
I think I may have just done the same thing to the speedo on my 2002 C2 Cab. I was swapping gauge faces, everything seemed to be going fine, but I did notice that the speedo needle would swing around with zero effort, e.g. by rotating the instrument pack. And now the speedo doesn't move at all. The digital display works fine.

Any suggestions? Anywhere cheap to get a replacement speedo (only) for my car - on the 3.6l like mine the speedo reads to 200mph, not 175mph like the 3.4l

Help! Please!

Old 06-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Graham,
Sorry to hear that happened to you. After seeing the entire proceedure, at least with the smaller side gauges you don't need to pull the needles off to remove the gauge face. After mine didn't function, heard that the small plastic gears under the needle face plate are very prone to breakage if not super careful.
Porsche does not sell replacement parts for the cluster. As seen in my original thread, I got lucky at Tacoma Speedometer 253-582-3890. Ask for Eddy Seabold. He stripped off the volt meter from a fully functioning 996TT gauge cluster for me and I was good to go. If he still has this cluster (if I remember correctly that speedo did go to 200mph) you could be in luck.
Start with him and good luck.