Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 Sunroof...Write PCNA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Y65MPH is infamous around these partsY65MPH is infamous around these parts
Taller drivers were taking major issue with this. Forget the center of gravity issue, how about not being able to fit in the car at all. Especially if the seat has no height adjustment.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:10 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
cheaper to have one than 2 diff sheels for the 997

Old 08-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Chasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the roughChasen1211 is a jewel in the rough
we'll there could always be this option...

Last edited by Chasen1211; 10-01-2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:19 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chasen1211
we'll there could always be this option...
God does that bring back memories LOLLLL.... Revozport makes a cf roof panel replacement for the 996tt/gt2...

Old 08-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Brandon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rockitman
no need to hold off...PCNA will be offering the sunroof w/o option for delete on the RS too. You can't escape the 997 GT3 Sunroof curse here in NA...
Really? I heard the later year gt3s might come with with the delete option..

If this isnt true I dont know if I can justify installing a cup car roof. Thats kind of crazy on a $100k+ car.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:04 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill in Atlanta
I wrote a note to Peter and Fred at PCNA thanking them for offering a sunroof on the GT 3 and GT 2.

I am fortuate enough to live in a city with great weather and couldn't see having another 911 without a sunroof.

If I wanted a true "track-only" car I wouldn't bother with a GT3 anyway...I'd get a Cup car.

Bill
Bill, we know that you personally like the sunroof. However, there are obviously many people who either don't want one and the performance robbing properties of it such as more weight, less rigidity, higher center of gravity not to mention a shorter roofline for tall drivers or drivers with helmets (most sanctioning bodies require sunroofs to be closed during racing). So while I do understand that the majority of people will be happy with the sunroof, it should definitely be an "OPTION" to have it deleted. Just like you want your car how you want it, which in your case is with a sunroof, many other people would like their cars the way THEY want them, which is without the sunroof. When you pay 125K+ for a turbo, you should damn well be able to order a car without the sunroof if you want to. PCNA should take notice because they're in a very niche market and when you have a very well off clientele who is used to getting what they want, they'll only stay loyal to those who make them happy by giving them what they want and what they pay for.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:49 AM
Bill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud ofBill in Atlanta has much to be proud of
[quote=ScottKelly911] So while I do understand that the majority of people will be happy with the sunroof, it should definitely be an "OPTION" to have it deleted.

I agree...should be an option ( actually for the GT2 and GT3 I think they should start with a non-SR car and make the SR optional, as it was on the RS America). I just don't understand how it makes it "less" of a car with a sunroof. Again, if it is truly a track-only car, I certainly wouldn't start with a new $110k car which--even if the sunroof is deleted--still has A/C, radio, power windows, etc.

My first 911--a '72 911s-- was the last "true" 911 I had---no sunroof, no A/C, crank windows, etc.

Bill

Old 08-24-2006, 07:52 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
i understand the argument of "wanting what you want the way you want it". especially when it comes to purchasing a 100K car. it should be completely customizable at that price point.

luis has been writing letters to PCNA for months trying to get his GT3 in pink with a ***** shifter. it has been an uphill battle for him

all kidding aside, would it be safe to assume most GT3 owners will be doing a combination of street driving combined with DE events with most true racers using cup cars? and if that is true, how much of an impact could the sunroof have on the car's performance? say for instance you were able to get two GT3's, one with a sunroof and one without... and you were able to cover the headliner and drive the two back to back... would most of you be able to tell the difference in the performance of the car?

not having ever raced automobiles, i thought this was an interesting thread in that people were so passionate about the sunroof.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:43 PM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
It's all about principle; the principle of the GT3 is performance thru weight savings. To reduce the weight by adding $8k PCCB brakes, aluminum doors & hood and removing sound-deadening is ridiculous if you're gonna add it all back with a sunroof. If you want a sunroof on a 911, why the hell do you really want a GT3? If you can't notice the addition of 50lbs above your head, then you won't notice the weight savings that define the GT3, and maybe it's the wrong car for you!

Old 08-24-2006, 01:01 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deputydog95
luis has been writing letters to PCNA for months trying to get his GT3 in pink with a ***** shifter. it has been an uphill battle for him
PCNA has been a pain to deal with. I was however able to get the ***** shifter. Tell your wife thanks it is wonderful.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:14 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MetalSolid
It's all about principle; the principle of the GT3 is performance thru weight savings. To reduce the weight by adding $8k PCCB brakes, aluminum doors & hood and removing sound-deadening is ridiculous if you're gonna add it all back with a sunroof. If you want a sunroof on a 911, why the hell do you really want a GT3? If you can't notice the addition of 50lbs above your head, then you won't notice the weight savings that define the GT3, and maybe it's the wrong car for you!
Exactly!! Doesnt matter if you cna feel it or not, to the untrained "racer" or driver or w/e, its the point that GT cars should stick to their heritage, its a track car, track cars do not benefit one bit from a sunroof!

Old 08-24-2006, 01:25 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Exactly!! Doesnt matter if you cna feel it or not, to the untrained "racer" or driver or w/e, its the point that GT cars should stick to their heritage, its a track car, track cars do not benefit one bit from a sunroof!
it is a track oriented car, but let's be honest.. lots of people seem to use them more on the street more than they do on track. it's not a true race car as it's very street legal. now if the cup cars started coming with sunroofs i could see this being more of an "issue"

my question is though, if we could put on such an experiment where we had two GT3's...one with sunroof, one without and we could cover the headliners so you couldn't tell which is which.....

is there anyone reading this thread that could drive the two cars back to back and tell which one has a sunroof?

i still agree though that you should be able to get it with or without....

Old 08-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by MetalSolid
If you want a sunroof on a 911, why the hell do you really want a GT3? !
ummm, way more HP, higher redline, better suspension, better bodywork, exclusivity, etc...

Old 08-24-2006, 01:58 PM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
ummm, way more HP, higher redline, better suspension, better bodywork, exclusivity, etc...
Again, if you're the kind of driver that can't feel the addition of 50lbs in the worst possible place, then you're not gonna feel the effects of an extra 20hp or 200rpm. At least you're honest about the bling factor. With all the bling~bling'ers jumping ship to the GT3, it's not gonna feel too exclusive when you start seeing a bunch of them with 21" wheels with chrome lips and cliche black center HREs, blacked-out windows and Techart bodykits.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:58 PM
it is a track oriented car, but let's be honest.. lots of people seem to use them more on the street more than they do on track. it's not a true race car as it's very street legal. now if the cup cars started coming with sunroofs i could see this being more of an "issue"

my question is though, if we could put on such an experiment where we had two GT3's...one with sunroof, one without and we could cover the headliners so you couldn't tell which is which.....

is there anyone reading this thread that could drive the two cars back to back and tell which one has a sunroof?

i still agree though that you should be able to get it with or without....
Yes you could tell, especially if you had a helmet on, then you can also tell that the guy knows his ****

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Sunroof...Write PCNA