Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 Sunroof...Write PCNA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 01:12 AM
996Yayo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
all kidding aside, would it be safe to assume most GT3 owners will be doing a combination of street driving combined with DE events with most true racers using cup cars? and if that is true, how much of an impact could the sunroof have on the car's performance? say for instance you were able to get two GT3's, one with a sunroof and one without... and you were able to cover the headliner and drive the two back to back... would most of you be able to tell the difference in the performance of the car?

not having ever raced automobiles, i thought this was an interesting thread in that people were so passionate about the sunroof.
heck, i don't even own a GT3, let alone a Porsche (i'm still young though ), and i'm very passionate about it. since i was young i've been a Porsche fanatic, and i think its ridiculous that there is no sunroof delete option. in fact i agree w/ Bill that a GT3 should come without a sunroof, and that the sunroof itself should be the "option."

now while i don't think i would notice the performance difference after driving two GT3's back to back, one w/ the sunroof and one w/out, it sure as hell would give me peace of mind to own a GT3 w/out sunroof. it would bother me too much knowing that it could be better w/out the sunroof. and i start thinking about how many different ways it effects the car's handling...it really is, as someone already stated, "weight in the worst possible place," which raises the car's center of gravity, and that in turn causes the car to "roll" more in turns and pitch nose-up and nose-down under hard braking and acceleration. i keep trying to tell myself that the difference caused by adding a sunroof is so minimal that i would barely (if at all) notice any more pitch or roll on the streets. but the fact that it does make a difference whether i notice it or not is my neurosis .

i certainly agree with you that there would be minimal, if any, performance gain on the streets. but again, for me it would simply be peace of mind...what if i'm driving through some winding mountain passes and i need the extra weight savings and rigidity of a solid roof GT3 to catch that GSXR1000 in front of me? i don't think the fact that the average driver won't notice the performance difference is enough to deter him from wanting the best performance he can get out of his GT3. all other things being equal (including the driver if we could suspend reality for a moment), the one w/out sunroof would be quicker around a circuit. even with two different, but professional drivers, i would imagine the pro driver in the car w/out sunroof would quickly find a way to capitalize on the advantages of being lighter and more rigid. that right there is enough for me to want my GT3 w/out a sunroof, even if i know i'll never race it on the 'Ring and do 95% of its actual driving on the street (i'm not the kind of guy to let my car sit in between track events). i know, i know, it probably makes no difference on the road, but its funny how people (myself obviously included) want the very best product, even if they know that some of the product's benefits might never be reaped (unless they attend track events and become competent drivers).

Last edited by 996Yayo; 08-26-2006 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:21 AM
996Yayo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Yeah, you showed them. There were probably ten more people lined up to take it the minute you dropped it If I had the cash like Watt for a stradale, i'd buy one over the GT3 anyway... Sunroof or not, it's still a better car than the 996 GT3, as the 997 is a better car than the 996.
haha i was thinking that too...Porsche probably doesn't have any trouble finding drivers for its next generation GT3, regardless of whether it has a sunroof or not. if Porsche is smart though, it won't just bask in its profits (if it even makes much of a profit on the GT3), and it will take note of the number of names dropping off the list and all the slots it will have to then fill. maybe Porsche will put 2 and 2 together and realize that its true enthusiansts are the ones dropping out of line and going elsewhere...

Old 08-26-2006, 03:45 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, in light of todays announcements about Home sales being down significantly, Porsche should take notice. The last time prices in housing took a dive, the luxary/high-cost performance market followed shortly thereafter. So by not giving the customer what they want during a time that could become very unstable for the high dollar car market, wouldn't be such a good idea in my opinion.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:42 PM
acw
acw is infamous around these parts
I sent a mail to PCNA regarding this issue 6 weeks ago. I did not receive any answer and have canceled my order since then. I have seen an official document from PCNA stating that all 997 based car will have a sunroof in the US. This apparently includes the GT3-RS.

No 997 "GT3" for me. Thank you very much. This is not a matter of performance but rather a matter of principle.

AW

Old 08-28-2006, 02:51 AM
Monodose is infamous around these parts
Confirmed

No sunroof for GT3 coming to Dubai