Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 GT3 mods for more lower end grunt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 11:50 PM
Red02996 is infamous around these parts
Drove a GT3 with a Revo chip, Fabspeed headers and exhaust. Difference in performance as measured by the butt-o-meter. None. My buddy's car is louder and he is $ 8K poorer but no faster as far as I can tell. Waste of time.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:38 AM
NJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud ofNJ-GT has much to be proud of
2nd gear can't be changed on the street 996 GT3. You need a GT3 Cup main shaft that allows interchangeable 2nd gear. Parts alone are over $4,000 to change 2nd gear.

It's cheaper to install a shorter R&P if you need a shorter 2nd gear, with the benefit that 3rd-6th are very well spaced on the stock transmission.

If 2nd is not a problem, then new 3rd-5th gears reusing the stock 5th into 6th, or new 3rd to 6th gear to make it shorter.

My recommendation is to leave 2nd gear alone. I don't know of many racetracks where 2nd gear is too long, requiring a downshift to 1st.

For Solo/AutoX, a shorter 2nd is a must, but you get to drive in a different class as well.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Paul S is infamous around these parts
How difficult/expensive is the diff swap on the 3?

Old 08-28-2006, 03:04 AM
Monodose is infamous around these parts
Exuce my ignorance, I'm new to this!

What effect will changing the gears really have? what does it do?

Will this affect my top speed?

Which power kit is the best?, I'm about to order a techart Kit

Have merci on me in your replies

Old 08-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Send me the gearbox-
We will do the revised gearsets and upgrade the LSD-

And you will have a fast and reliable car..........

Old 09-01-2006, 10:21 PM
cdaniels is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Moogle
to stay OEM, gears and LWFW gets another vote.

LWFW is an amazing mod you can do!
What does LWFW stand for? pardon my ignorance....

Thanks...

Old 09-01-2006, 10:22 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cdaniels
What does LWFW stand for? pardon my ignorance....

Thanks...
Lightweight Flywheel.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
No chance of getting my questions answered?

Old 04-15-2008, 03:50 PM
PeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud ofPeterC4C has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Monodose
Exuce my ignorance, I'm new to this!

What effect will changing the gears really have? what does it do?

Will this affect my top speed?
Lowers your top speed in each gear for more acceleration.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:02 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
GT3 close ratio gears

More importantly, it enables you to stay in the meat of the powerband when shifting. 996-GT3's gears are spread a bit too far(7-GT3's are only slightly better). R&P change does not eliminate the spread between gears.

Last edited by NelsonF; 04-16-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 PM
JCC296 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Send me the gearbox-
We will do the revised gearsets and upgrade the LSD-

And you will have a fast and reliable car..........

how much does that run??

Old 04-16-2008, 02:39 PM
dan212 is infamous around these parts
The GT3 gears are spaced for a phenomenal top end speed. You can change the gears and get more use of the higher gears on the track, but is that really what you want? Changing the gears will make a different only if you let the engine spin up. Thats where you get power. This is not an engine designed for low end torque. More than most Porsche engines, the GT3 is designed as a high revving engine. Less low end power in exchange for responsiveness and a lot more at the top end.. If you want a wide power band, get a V8 or I guess a Turbo and lose the responsiveness. If you want an incredibly responsive naturally aspirated engine, this is a work of art. Wind it up more and listen to it sing.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the info guys

Im still doing the search...

one of the tracks that I will be competing on is a short one with lots of twists and corners, some very sharp (autocross is what we call it here), that why I was looking for lower end grunt, unless I want to stay on first gear most of the time to use the power of this high revving engine...I guess

Old 04-21-2008, 10:29 AM
petevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to beholdpetevb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kris
Thinking about picking up a GT3 I drove on the weekend. Love the drive, visceral compared to the 996TT. What I would like is a bit more grunt lower down as the real fun in the GT3 seems to happen above 6K (and well above the speed limit). Not that there is anything wrong with that but I'd like a bit more grunt lower down. I searched and didn't find much. Anyone give me some suggestions..ECU,exhaust, other?

Thanks
First you need to reset your expectations from a turbo car- you ride the torque in your turbo, while you lean on revs in a normally aspirated car. You'll never get the perceived "thump in the back" of turbo torque in the GT3, even if it's modified to be faster than the turbo. Thus I wouldn't go looking for that feeling- you'll be disappointed. Instead learn to exploit the precision of the GT3 at the autocross, and get used to keeping the revs 1-2k up from your turbo when you're pushing on.

2nd, To quote Colin Chapman: add lightness. Seats, etc...

After that a LWFW and R&P can be good, depending on your usage.

Specifically for the autocross, however, I'd suggest a tall 1st gear. This will make you slower off the line, but if it's like over here they won't let you drag start anyway. I've got 1st bumped up to ~55 mph and 2nd at ~75- the close spacing makes it much easier to shift into 1st than it would normally be, and you actually end up using 1st much more. The exact gearing will depend on your courses and how fast your car is. I'd expect you'd want to be slightly lower than my gearing, perhaps 50 mph and 70 mph. Along these lines, a chip the extends your rev range 100-300 rpm will also let you hold a gear longer, giving you an extra couple mph in gear and letting you use shorter ratios overall.

Last edited by petevb; 04-21-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: autocross specific info...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Mvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura aboutMvez has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by kris
Thinking about picking up a GT3 I drove on the weekend. Love the drive, visceral compared to the 996TT. What I would like is a bit more grunt lower down as the real fun in the GT3 seems to happen above 6K (and well above the speed limit). Not that there is anything wrong with that but I'd like a bit more grunt lower down. I searched and didn't find much. Anyone give me some suggestions..ECU,exhaust, other?

Thanks
Drive it on the track and it won't feel so slow.....that's really its sole purpose, hence the power up top.