GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 as a first P-car...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Juha is infamous around these parts
GT3 as a first P-car...?

Hello board!

I've been lurking here for quite a while and I'm finally moving from a BMW into a P-car.
I have my heart set on a 996 GT3 as it has everything I'm looking for and nothing I wouldn't need. (To be honest, I wouldn't mind a GT2 but can't really afford one right now...)

I will track the car hopefully once a month. My question is, is a GT3 too much of a car for a Porsche newb?

I currently have a 550hp E46 M3 so power is not news to me and I find the BMW relatively easy take around the corners and drive on the limits.
I know all this is gonna change with the Porsche because of it's weight distribution... Also there's no DSC I could use to save my sorry a$$ when I loose it in a corner.

I mean the GT3 is like a dream come true to me, but should I start with a regular carrera first or even a turbo and then after a year or two upgrade to a GT3.

All tips and comments welcome! Help a newb out!

regards,

Juha

Old 09-08-2006, 10:07 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Go drive one and fall in love with it. Then, join the PCA, take all of the Drivers training courses again (including the advanced) and continue to bring an instructor with you untill you feel confortable. There are some great deals on these cars right now. You will not regret it. Best P-car decision I have ever made.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Juha is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LUIS95993
Go drive one and fall in love with it. Then, join the PCA, take all of the Drivers training courses again (including the advanced) and continue to bring an instructor with you untill you feel confortable. There are some great deals on these cars right now. You will not regret it. Best P-car decision I have ever made.
Thing is, I already drove one... Otherwise I wouldn't be taking a 30k hit on my M3...

A good friend of mine is also a PCA instructor and would surely get me "accommodated" in my GT3...

Old 09-08-2006, 10:20 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Juha
Thing is, I already drove one... Otherwise I wouldn't be taking a 30k hit on my M3...

A good friend of mine is also a PCA instructor and would surely get me "accommodated" in my GT3...
Then, my friend, you have answered your own question.

DO IT.

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2006, 10:54 PM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
The GT3 is an amazing car, but I advise you to proceed with caution on the track. If it is your first 911 you are going to have a steep learning curve. The car handles, brakes, accelerates and does everything else well, but is also not all that forgiving. It awards smoothness and punishes you if you are sloppy. I have quite a bit of racing experience and was humbled by the car. Then again, I push pretty hard. I would say if you buy a GT3 and decide to track, make sure you get it set up correctly. Find a shop that has done GT3s and has a reputation of setting them up right. An incorrect setup will make your track day a living hell and might have you end up in a wall. Also take it easy at first. The car will def out perform your M3, but do not be frustrated if at first you seem slower. The car takes some getting used to. If you proceed with a good head on your shoulders you will be fine. Treat the car with no respect and you will end up in trouble. Best of luck on your search. They are great cars and you will enjoy it very much

Old 09-08-2006, 11:20 PM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Juha klart du ska ha en GT3:a! Slategrå eller Lapisblå.
Do iiitt!

Old 09-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic
Do iiitt!
what he said

Old 09-08-2006, 11:39 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Juha
Hello board!

I've been lurking here for quite a while and I'm finally moving from a BMW into a P-car.
I have my heart set on a 996 GT3 as it has everything I'm looking for and nothing I wouldn't need. (To be honest, I wouldn't mind a GT2 but can't really afford one right now...)

I will track the car hopefully once a month. My question is, is a GT3 too much of a car for a Porsche newb?

I currently have a 550hp E46 M3 so power is not news to me and I find the BMW relatively easy take around the corners and drive on the limits.
I know all this is gonna change with the Porsche because of it's weight distribution... Also there's no DSC I could use to save my sorry a$$ when I loose it in a corner.

I mean the GT3 is like a dream come true to me, but should I start with a regular carrera first or even a turbo and then after a year or two upgrade to a GT3.

All tips and comments welcome! Help a newb out!

regards,

Juha
No matter what you buy, making the switch to Porsche is prob the best thing you could do! Any of these guys will agree when I say a Porsche is a different kind of animal, and you will never look back! Being in, and especially driving a Porsche is like being in your own self centered world where you and the car revolve around each other. the precise shifts of the 6MT to the amazing and neverending power and torque to every other aspect of the car. not to mention all the heads youll turn in the process. whatevery you drive, whether its a 911, 911S, turbo, GT2 or GT3 you are gonna fall in love! there nothing quite like it. I say if youre going to track it, go with the GT3. It seems like thats what you want, and you will be sooooooooo happy, and thats a HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT!

Old 09-08-2006, 11:46 PM
O4 GT3
Vader13 has a spectacular aura aboutVader13 has a spectacular aura about
Depends alot on your lifestyle man..The GT3 as a DD is not that good..
You will like the Turbo better for that, or a 997S

Old 09-09-2006, 02:21 AM
996GT3 is infamous around these parts
Juha,
I saw your M3 over e46fanatics. It's very nice.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:48 AM
Banned
|Adeel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic
Do iiitt!

+1

Old 09-09-2006, 05:25 AM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996GT3
Juha,
I saw your M3 over e46fanatics. It's very nice.
Nicest M3 I have seen.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:43 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
try a 996 turbo too...then make your decision.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
If you have thoughts of modding the car you might be better off buying the TT. Tons of additional HP is available with the TT and $$$.
If you want to buy the finest driving experience you will ever have get the GT3. I've had both.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:08 AM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
Ask Martin, he'll know the transition better than anyone... Obviously you know his car... the only difference is that he went with a TT.

I have a hunch that tells me he'll say go for the 3 though.

Joe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 as a first P-car...?