Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Track tires for GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:00 PM
K5Cruiser is infamous around these partsK5Cruiser is infamous around these parts
Track tires for GT3

Would like to know what everyone recommends as a good track tire for the 996 GT3. On the way to a track day this past weekend my buddy blew a tire on his GT3 and is now interested in buying a new set of tires. The car is used solely for track days, therefore performance on the track is of the greatest concern, noise, treadwear, and comfort are all secondary.

From the searches I've done it seems that the Michelin Cup tires take a while to get up to temp before they really perform, and it seems that quite a few people are having good performance out of the PS2s. Please let me know what tire you recommend, regardless of brand. Thanks!

Old 09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
todera is infamous around these parts
If you want all out traction in a D.O.T. approved tire you want Hoosiers or Kumho V710s (not recommended for ANY street driving). Toyo RA1, or Nitto NT01 are another option that would be longer lasting but still provided great grip (not sure about fitment availability for a GT3 though). Other possible tires are Yokohama A032R or Pirelli P Zero Corsas. Does he plan to drive on the street or not?

Last edited by todera; 09-13-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:29 PM
K5Cruiser is infamous around these partsK5Cruiser is infamous around these parts
His main focus for this car is track driving as he has other vehicles to use for daily driving. Street driving will primarily be limited to driving the vehicle to the actual track event. Some events the vehicle will be trailered, but others it will see some street driving.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:19 PM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
pilot sport cups for sure

Old 09-14-2006, 01:57 AM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
I run both the V710's and Yoko A048's and they are only about a second apart on a small track. Only problem w/ the V710's is that you can only get the 285's for the rear while I run 315 A048's w/ no problem. And I can drive the A048's on the street while I don't really feel comfortable driving the V710's on the street that much, even just drive to and from the event if the event is not close by. Or another choice would be the Hoosier R6's.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I now have some more questions.

Will a 305 fit on the rear? If so, is it really even necessary?

Old 09-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Moogle is infamous around these parts
PS2s are some of the best tires ever made - all around summer tire. Unless you absolutely need the 10% extra grip, say for qualifying - no need for the Pilot Sport Cups. - ununsable in any sort of rain.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Holger B is infamous around these parts
MPSC's!!!

Gotta have r-compound for the track. No comparison between MPSC & PS2 at the track.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Ive got a set of Toyo Ra1's off of our World Challenge Cup Car. Used 1 session and in great shape= 750.00 takes the set. 245 and 305

Email me directly-

Old 12-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Former Vendor
Whirls is infamous around these partsWhirls is infamous around these parts
I have driven in the rain quite a few times with my sport cups, and it hasn't been that bad. They are not good on the track in the rain (our track anyway), but to and from the track, no problems....

Old 12-15-2006, 10:17 PM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
MPSC is the way to go!!!

Old 12-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Formula1 is infamous around these parts
I love this question as I had the same question some time ago. Michelin PS2's are CRAP on the track. I couldn't hold a corner with those POS tires. They are fine on the street, but over priced when it comes to replacements. I'm not saying the PS2's are bad on the street, but there are better choices.

The question you need to ask yourself is do I live in an area that is quite warm for most of the year (Southwest) or where it is cold most of the time. The Sport Cup tires do need time to warm up or they are not good. They are fine to drive to and from the track in anything except heavy rain. The Cups do tend to heat cycle to death before you cord them and become HARDER than a rock.

The Toyo RA-1's are good for track days, but the 305 rears will rub unless you roll the rear fenders. They make a 275, but it's not ideal as your giving up 40mm of rubber between both rear tires. The RA1's get better the longer they wear unlike the Cups.

The Kumho V710 are good on tighter tracks, but wear rapidly and are NOT ideal on the street.

Nitto does not make an r-comp tire that will fit the GT3 at this point.

Finally, Toyo has introducted the R888 in Europe and will bring it to the US sometime in 2007. This is based on the same compound as the RA1, but with a more shallow tread design. The tread design itself is also different from the RA1. Depending on the price point for this tire, it may be the way to go for the 996GT3.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:38 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I would echo this sentiment. Anyone claiming PS2's or other street tires being great on the track has obviously not tracked in DOT-R's. The level of grip between Hoosiers and any street tires is tremendous

Old 12-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
My exprience is vary limited on track tires and this thread seems like a big help. Last November I awoke at my hotel near Lime Rock to find frost on my car. It only just fully melted by the time I got to the track. My first session felt like my tires were made of shiny plastic. Without heat the PS2s suck.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Z06
Z06 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Ive got a set of Toyo Ra1's off of our World Challenge Cup Car. Used 1 session and in great shape= 750.00 takes the set. 245 and 305

Email me directly-
They do not work on the Street GT3...ABS issues.. the fastest tire is the Kumho V710 which you can drive on the street when dry.. I used the 245/285 and they worked great, these are a must try..they are now making a 305 that will fit ..contact Kumho...

http://www.kumhousa.com/Products/Ptn...=8&mainCatID=1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track tires for GT3