Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Gt3-rms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
Gt3-rms

I noticed several oil drips under the engine in my GT3 about 10 days ago Took the car into the selling dealership today. The tech called me several hours later to inform me the car had a RMS leak. I was surprised as I did not think the GT3s were susceptible to this problem. Apparently I was wrong.
Could this be a precursor to other engine problems. My car has never been tracked or abused and rarely sees a shift over 5000 rpm.
I'm confused. Someone hold my hand.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:20 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
GT3 and without going over 5k? DANG, how do you hold back?

Old 10-26-2006, 07:33 PM
I said "rarely" not never. With the LWF, clutch and Cup gears I'm more focused on throttle response than hitting red line. The car is quick.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:25 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
"Hold my hand"

I hereby request all 6speeders to quit reporting negative issues with GT3's until I buy one.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
It is rare, but not unheard of. Not a huge deal.....Post #100

Old 10-26-2006, 10:36 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 05997S
"Hold my hand"

I hereby request all 6speeders to quit reporting negative issues with GT3's until I buy one.
Why, more negative publicity would help you get a good deal

Old 10-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Talked with the service tech this morning and expressed my concerns re the possibility of the case being a bad casting. They indicated they will measure all possiblly involved parts to check for discrepancies. After our conversation I came away feeling confidence in the people and dealership in general. Still have 2.5 years of warranty left.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:34 PM
996turbo is infamous around these parts
RMS leaks in the GT3 is very uncommon.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:28 PM
oneflystud is infamous around these parts
i think you should bring your car to red line more and all your problems will fade away

Old 10-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
you don't indicate if you also did the crankcase breather...if you did...that could cause the RMS leak...

Old 10-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Red02996 is infamous around these parts
All p-car boxer engines are susceptible. The big difference between this engine and M96 based ones (meaning in the "normal" 996 and 997's) is that in the GT3 you won't have to worry about the shaft having moved off center and thus needing to replace the engine. Happened in my 2002 C2.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:10 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
GT3 RMS is far more common than most people think...If your an infrequent driver of the car, the seal will eventually leak. Mine leaks a few drops after I park it overnight. If I am driving it regularly during the week, it does not leak. Replaced rms once so far and the new one leaked like the old one. Since my warranty runs out next fall, I am having it done again with the 993 series seal that has a more aggressive clamping mechanism on the seal that the cup car and GT3 don't have...hopefully that will be the end of the leaks...

Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
tshih is infamous around these parts
Bruce Andersen of Excellence technical notes recently replied to GT3 RMS leaks. Evidently it is not a serious problem and the new seals may be installed backwards (improperly) and the slight seepage is normal for cars not driven a lot. So Go drive the cars more frequently improves its health and conditions the seals.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:23 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
What year GT3? over on rennlist we have a thread that we want everyone with RMS on a 997 3 to register if they have one and give build date and experience with repair. Just building a data base. Not sure if they are doing for 996.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by toadinlaw
What year GT3? over on rennlist we have a thread that we want everyone with RMS on a 997 3 to register if they have one and give build date and experience with repair. Just building a data base. Not sure if they are doing for 996.

adding myself to that list...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.