Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Aaargh! I'm loosing my mind - Gallardo or 996GT3RS?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Slowpoke is infamous around these parts
Aaargh! I'm loosing my mind - Gallardo or 996GT3RS?!

Guys,

Please help a European guy out here?

Quick background check; First 2 cars were Euro spec'ed BMW M3 E36s, first a 3.0 then a 3.2, after that a supercrazy singled and widebodied Supra Turbo with 800HP crank, traded it in for a 2000 996 C2 cab and got hooked on Porsches for life, best cars ever built, period!

Looving the cab, wanting more performance/handling I traded it in for the current car in my sig. I honestly love this car, it just needs some more HP to make it perfect, hence the natural process towards a 996 GT3RS right? Wrong! There is just one damn obstacle in the way, the Lamborghini Gallardo!

Why, you ask yourself again? Because of the absolute stunning looks of this car, it is just to damn beautiful to ignore, even though I know the RS is better in every other possible way

So, I drove the Gallardo for the first time yesterday (in pooring rain of course ), it was a 2004 E-Gear model (that's what I can afford right now) and I must say I was quite dissapointed..

The engine sound was hardly noticeably in the cockpit, the windshield is shaped making you think you drive a giant school bus or something and the seats was crap compared to my euro GT3 seats I have in my car..

The E-Gear system seemed kind of bearable in everyday traffic but it jerks and bumps in low speeds quite often, is that normal? I can't see a single reason why the E-gear would be better than the manual tranny? Correct?

Make no misstake, I have driven many high-powered sport cars, so I know what to expect when entering a 120K car..

I have a friend with a 2004 360 F1, I drove that car for like 7000km through a roadtrip in Europe this summer and that car is nothing more than a pure GT car, like a sporty SL500 or DB9 at most in my book, nowhere near my 996 in feel, handling or performance, I even keep up with it through all gears on the autobahn?!
The Gallardo is a tad bit more sporty than the 360, but nowhere near what I had hoped for it to be, I mean, isn't Lambo's supposed to be like riding the Devil

So, is the looks of the Gallardo enough reason for me to go with the Lambo and the extra maintenance costs? Or should I stick with the best performance car ever-to-be-built for under 120K, the 996GT3RS?

Enough with the mumbo-jumbo from myside, now I want to hear people who allready know theese answers

Thank you very much for your time in advance guys! I appreciate it!

Best Regards

Old 11-02-2006, 08:04 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
it depends, if i were you, i would buy the gt3 rs if i was going to be going to track days alot, but if you are looking for a fun car to drive around town but not track or not track it much i would get the gallardo, i would also look at the new 997 gt3

Old 11-02-2006, 08:15 PM
The new 997 GT3 is more money plus I am to poor to take the first hit on a new expensive car

I won't track the car at all, maybe once or twice a year, tops! However, I do drive it real hard on the streets, everyday....

Any more ideas or first hand impressions out there? Please help guys, I need to make a decision before this weekend Hmm..

TIA!

Old 11-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Steve B in SD is infamous around these parts
something to keep in mind re E-gear Gallardo.........

My friend has an '04 e-gear Gallardo, and while backing it up onto his lift, he started seeing smoke from the clutch. During the next service, he mentioned it to the mechanic, and asked him to inspect the clutch.

The mechanic told him the clutch in the e-gear Gallardo isn't all that robust, he's seen people destroy them in as little as a couple thousand miles. He said if driven properly, the clutch should last as long as 15,000 miles.

Only 15,000 miles-- if driven properly-- is a good thing??? It's something like $7,000 - $8,000 for a clutch job. I can't imagine a car where getting only 15,000 miles out of a clutch is 'normal'. I have to wonder about the rest of the car in that case.

I'll keep my GT3, thank you.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:17 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
When i read your tread, only one car comes to my mind

996 Gt2

Old 11-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Steve B in SD
something to keep in mind re E-gear Gallardo.........

My friend has an '04 e-gear Gallardo, and while backing it up onto his lift, he started seeing smoke from the clutch. During the next service, he mentioned it to the mechanic, and asked him to inspect the clutch.

The mechanic told him the clutch in the e-gear Gallardo isn't all that robust, he's seen people destroy them in as little as a couple thousand miles. He said if driven properly, the clutch should last as long as 15,000 miles.

Only 15,000 miles-- if driven properly-- is a good thing??? It's something like $7,000 - $8,000 for a clutch job. I can't imagine a car where getting only 15,000 miles out of a clutch is 'normal'. I have to wonder about the rest of the car in that case.

I'll keep my GT3, thank you.
Things like this make me stick to Porsche! Although, I would look for manual tranny Gallardo first hand, I hate thoose damn paddle shift stuff

Old 11-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by SMR
When i read your tread, only one car comes to my mind

996 Gt2
Tja Rickard, vi möts igen

Is there any chance I could go for a ride in your supercar?

Old 11-02-2006, 08:27 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Slowpoke
Tja Rickard, vi möts igen

Is there any chance I could go for a ride in your supercar?
Yes no problem

But the snow is here now so it will be next year i think...

Old 11-02-2006, 08:40 PM
jwa
jwa is infamous around these parts
If you want to turn heads and get ridiculous attention, the lambo with exhaust will do that. But if you want the sheer performance and the thrill of cornering, the GT3 rs is the choice. I don't know but I think the turbo is more enjoyable to drive fast than the lambo. The lambo is just too bulky and feels even heavier than the turbo, but nothing beets the sound of a v-10 at high rpm's.....well maybe a v-12

Old 11-02-2006, 10:18 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Gt2

If you have not tried a GT2 yet, do yourself a favor. These offer a ton of performance and there are great deals to be had for fairly low milage cars. These cars are truely a Porsche classic. Light mods provide performance that will put you on par with the hotest supercars. Of the cars you've mentioned, the GT3RS will provide the most driving pleasure and reliability if that is more important than pleasing the crowd. I hear the 06 G's are much better but of course, more $. A GT2 is the only car I'd have to replace my modded 3. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2006, 02:51 AM
KNanthrup is just really niceKNanthrup is just really niceKNanthrup is just really niceKNanthrup is just really nice
its all a matter of preference and personal taste. i like both cars and would have each if possible. the g would be more fun as a street car to turn heads and tear around in. the gt3 would be a track beast and corner carve like crazy, but be pretty harsh as a regular driver.

none the less i think you may have answered your own question in your post

Old 11-03-2006, 07:40 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Too hard to say which one I prefer...

Old 11-03-2006, 08:01 AM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
there are a couple of gt700 gt2s for sale on here

Old 11-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by SMR
Yes no problem

But the snow is here now so it will be next year i think...
To bad winter came up on us so quick this year Thanks for the offer though, looking forward to it, keep up the good work!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by jwa
If you want to turn heads and get ridiculous attention, the lambo with exhaust will do that. But if you want the sheer performance and the thrill of cornering, the GT3 rs is the choice. I don't know but I think the turbo is more enjoyable to drive fast than the lambo. The lambo is just too bulky and feels even heavier than the turbo, but nothing beets the sound of a v-10 at high rpm's.....well maybe a v-12
True! The G is like a S8 on steroids and a sexy outfit, that's all, better than the 360 but not even comparable with a GT3RS in feel and performance!

A 996 Turbo is not an option, I'll rather stick with my modded C4 then..

Damn Lambo design crew!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aaargh! I'm loosing my mind - Gallardo or 996GT3RS?!