Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

997GT3 or C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:05 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zlaatan
That is soo true!
I don't understand (even though I've done it before sometimes so I'm just as guilty) how we can say "get the x car because it's .2sec faster to 60 and does the Ring 10 secs faster. Who really gives a ****! Maybe I will be faster in the, on paper, slower car because it's easier for me to drive. All this magazine racing kills me..

Get the car you want, the car that gets your heart pumping when you look at it, the one that gives you the biggest smile when you drive it. period.
This man speaks the truth...

Old 11-26-2006, 11:34 AM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Adrift
Okay, I am a Porsche guy, but...

Marwan, you DO watch Le Mans, right? Vettes know a thing or two about racing.

Also, WRT ragging on Boxsters...we DO all realize a Cayman with the same amount of engine / tech put into it would be superior to a Z06 OR a GT3, right? (Just thought I would pour a little fuel on this fire )
The vettes in alms are nothing like the street car.

http://www.corvetteracing.com/cars/c6r/engine.shtml

Old 11-26-2006, 11:51 AM
dr_sharp is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 05997S
God help us when they get the interior right.
haha... +1

Old 11-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Marwan is infamous around these parts
well, thx for the "hmar" comment!

Old 11-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Formula1 is infamous around these parts
Off topic, but the truth about the transverse leaf springs. Hmm, less unsprung weight, lower center of gravity and incredible durability. Yeah I'll take teh Macpherson struts. LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corvette_leaf_springs

Does anyone wonder how GM can produce Carbon Fiber body parts and expensive composite leaf springs, high tech balsa composite floors, magnesium engine cradles and and a high performance dry sump V8 that spins to 7K and still sell it at 75K.

God help us when they get the interior right.
This may be the most telling post of this thread, 05997S. They are producing these high end parts, but it's not coming together well for GM. I considered the Z06 and the 996 GT3.

In the end I couldn't bring myself to buy a 75K car with so many problems displayed by the Z06. I waited for the 2nd year so that the 1st year teething problems could be ironed out, but the 2nd year has brought more problems on top of the 1st year problems. I bought a used 996 GT3 with 2900 miles knowing that it's not as fast as a Z06, but it was built to last and wouldn't spend more time at the dealer than in my garage.

I drive my car very hard on track and have not seen any problems at all from my GT3.

05997S's comment on what would happen if they get the interior right is on the money as that, along with reliability are the two things that are holding the Z06 back from simply being the best car on the planet.

Of course if the interior and reliabilty of the Z06 were to be worked out properly, it probably would no longer be a 75K car, but rather a car costing in the six figures.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Marwan is infamous around these parts
I seem to hve upset quite a few guys! hehehe... ALL THOSE IN FAVOR OF A Z06 INSTEAD OF A GT3, PLEASE GO BUY ONE... YOU PROBABLY CAN'T AFFORD THE GT3 ANYWAY! HAHAHA

Old 11-26-2006, 01:03 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
While I know the GT3 is an exceptionally reliable car, of my two friends who have 997's one just got his back after having the engine and trans replaced for a broken output shaft (I think that was the prob???} Car had 8K miles on it.

I don't deny the Vette has had issues, but there are many who report little or no problems and they build a lot more Vettes than 911's so even if they were equally reliable, you will still hear more Vette stories. Also, Consumer Guides' latest car buying guide would not recommend the 911 do to its problematic history.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:32 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
marwin corvette only made a split window in 63 . and 327 340 hp was the biggest except when fi was added .427s came out in 65, 66 had 427 450 hp very rare... have had a 63 split window 340 hp solid lifter car a 64 fi car and a 66 427 390 hp. the window car was by fare my favorite...... they all handled like school buses... but i still miss em

Old 11-26-2006, 08:42 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
opps it's been a long time 65 was not a 427 but i can't remember what it was 427 came out in 66

Old 11-26-2006, 10:37 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
if you want a car that is fast buy a 997TT, if you want a car that handles like nothing else in the world, buy a 996 or 997 GT3 or GT3RS. period. wait until judgement day when Porsche releases the 997 GT2. that car will def prove to be a purist car faster than ANYTHING out except for the veyron.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:14 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Please go buy a Z06. But do us a favor, go have the love fest with corvetteforum.com members not us. You can discuss how you guys think you have the world's best car and drown in each other's sorrows in dealing with problems.

Bottom line, I don't care how fast the car is. It's not a well built car. On top of the perfromance, what do you have in a Z06 that is in any way appealing? As far as performance goes, how many times are you going to test its full ability? I'll answer it for you....NONE.

But, if at the end of the day, its the car for you then get it and enjoy it.
Well you only need about 1/3 of the ability of a ZO6 to crush a Cayman and you probably don't need all of it ever unless you do DE's with some really good GT3 drivers so I hear ya.

My point is that the Corvette utilizes a lot more technology than the Porsche, is as fast or faster, costs half the money and is not the only manufacturer that has major failures.

The question you should ask is for 75K, what does Porsche make that matches the speed and agility of the ZO6 and is still better built or a better value? That is the primary reason I haven't bought one yet. I have to spend 10K more for a slower car with less warranty. Yeah I really like them but like a couple of guys here, its pretty hard to pass up supercar performance at Cayman/911 prices.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:19 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
except for the veyron.
And the S7, S7 TT, CGT, Koeingsegg, Enzo, etc.

oh, and the upcoming Corvette SS..

Hell, I am willing to bet that the C6 Z06 will give the 997 GT2 a run for its money. Lets wait and see if the GT2 can trap at 127 like the Z06. Don't be so quick to say it will smoke the C6 Z06. I highly doubt it and think it will be a drivers race, depending on the final numbers which have yet to be released.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:50 AM
SD1
First off, I'd take my CaymanS over a Z06 as a commuter vehicle any day of the week. As far as the track goes, take a look at some of the track videos out there and see how close the Caymans get to Vettes and Vipers in the turns. Of course I would never attempt to race a Z06 in my CaymanS.

More technology? Is a push rod engine and leaf spring suspension technology? Just ask yourself this....you have a 7.1 litre displacement V8 in the Vette and a 3.8 litre displacement flat 6 in the P car. Now, who has the technology?

I'll repeat what I said earlier >>> I'll be getting a base '05 997 w/ 7-10K miles for about $62K. Put an EVO SC on it for about $10-12K (installed). Last time I added those numbers it came out to be $72-74K. With the EVO SC I'll have nearly 480HP at the crank which will run neck and neck with a C6Z on the performance end and...........well, we all know how much better the build quality is in the P car compared to the Vette.

So to answer your question/comment, I myself find it very easy to pass up your so called "supercar performance" in the Vette when I can get a P car for the same price and have a car with much more style and much better fit and finish. I find the styling of the Z06 quite bland. The rear end and tail lights are hideous IMO. Headlights and front end is pretty cool looking.

One final point....how many of us would really use 500HP? I had a 400HP C6 before the CaymanS and could never use all 400 in that. Mostly because the car is not engineered to handle it. The only thing I liked about the car was the gobs of low end torque. Other than that.....you can keep 'em. Porsche please!!
I bought C5 Roadster back in 01' while I had a Boxster S on order. I had never driven the Vette until I got called the 3rd time from Porsche to say the car would be another 3 months. After driving the Vette I bought it on the spot, it was much faster and as a DD was much more comfortable.

Your high Tech Cayman is a unit body car with Macpherson struts. The composite leaf spring system in the Vette weighs half as much as a coil spring setup and the weight is lower in the car. Are you familiar with unsprung weight? Also, the leaf springs are very durable while coils will wear out. Oh and they cost more.

The engine is hand assembled ala Porsche if they are still doing that, but is a essentially a racing motor with forged crank shaft, titanium rods, alumimum CNC ported heads, dry sump oiling and with 7L of displacement spins to 7000rpms, and oh yeah, with the appropriate gearing will get 26mpg on the freeway. Thats about as good as you get with a mere 295hp and a lighter car in your Cayman S.

I know Nissan and Lexus both build 6 cylinders with 3.5L displacement both of which are 305hp + so either their technology is better than Porsche or Porsche is just average. Just saying since you brought it up. And not that I don't doubt that you will have a fantastic car with the 997 and Evo setup, but I think you will find that it will still not be as fast as the ZO6 nor will it keep up on the track as well as you might think. Now if you put that motor in your Cayman, you might have something!!!

I'm just a little tired of hearing poor build quality and low tech. The ZO6 is an outstanding car and if it had a Porsche badge it would be 190K. I would be happy in either one and have still not decided which way to go but you are misinformed or in denial about the ZO6 and quite frankly, the Cayman arguably being the simplest lowest tech car Porsche makes is probably their best effort and at least a reasonable value.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:38 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
I bought C5 Roadster back in 01' while I had a Boxster S on order. I had never driven the Vette until I got called the 3rd time from Porsche to say the car would be another 3 months. After driving the Vette I bought it on the spot, it was much faster and as a DD was much more comfortable.

Your high Tech Cayman is a unit body car with Macpherson struts. The composite leaf spring system in the Vette weighs half as much as a coil spring setup and the weight is lower in the car. Are you familiar with unsprung weight? Also, the leaf springs are very durable while coils will wear out. Oh and they cost more.

The engine is hand assembled ala Porsche if they are still doing that, but is a essentially a racing motor with forged crank shaft, titanium rods, alumimum CNC ported heads, dry sump oiling and with 7L of displacement spins to 7000rpms, and oh yeah, with the appropriate gearing will get 26mpg on the freeway. Thats about as good as you get with a mere 295hp and a lighter car in your Cayman S.

I know Nissan and Lexus both build 6 cylinders with 3.5L displacement both of which are 305hp + so either their technology is better than Porsche or Porsche is just average. Just saying since you brought it up. And not that I don't doubt that you will have a fantastic car with the 997 and Evo setup, but I think you will find that it will still not be as fast as the ZO6 nor will it keep up on the track as well as you might think. Now if you put that motor in your Cayman, you might have something!!!

I'm just a little tired of hearing poor build quality and low tech. The ZO6 is an outstanding car and if it had a Porsche badge it would be 190K. I would be happy in either one and have still not decided which way to go but you are misinformed or in denial about the ZO6 and quite frankly, the Cayman arguably being the simplest lowest tech car Porsche makes is probably their best effort and at least a reasonable value.
I dont agree with you. Porsche put some of the most technology in their cars, i.e. the 997TT and the new 997GT3. thats one reason why they cost so much more, the engineering is second to none. the cayman s is supposed to be more a car that doesnt have to have/need all the technology because that wasnt its purpose. any articles i have read on the new turbo always put in something about the massive amounts of superior technology they have. the 295 hp engine in the cayman could easily have been pushed to 325-335 hp IF THEY WANTED. but that hp came as a part of their marketing. fitting right in between the boxster and the 911. we all know that the cayman s can outhandle almost everything ever built because of its stande and agility and balance. if you havnt driven one, do so and you see what an amazing car it really is. plus, double check the weight thing, im not sure on how much a cayman s weighs, but im sure its about 3200 lbs. not as light as you think but relatively light. either way phenominal car.
and one more point, to talk about technology, the 997 GT3 pushes 115.2 bhp/ltr. second all time(i think) only to the challange 360 with 118 bh/ltr. talk about technology they are only down 90 hp less than the z06 with just over HALF the displacement, oh yea and it revs to 8400 rpm. im not trying to insult you, but the engine tech in the z06 imo is not that great. thats one thing that makes me dislike american cars. they always have such high displacement for not enough hp output IMO. i mean the CGT pushed 105 hp more with 1.4 liters less displacement, granted the two extra cylinders but i like engines that are tuned and tight, and are well engineered, and thats why I will always stick to the euro cars.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:42 AM

You are going to compare what Lexus and Nissan have to offer to a Porsche? Dude, there is more to a car than its engine performance. I have two buddies that have G35's that love them. They have both driven my car and both came away saying "There is absolutely NO COMPARISON in the handling of these two cars".

As far as my future 997 EVO SC not being able to keep up with a Z06 on the track....you may be right you may not. One thing I know is that it will most likely come down to driver ability amongst non professional drivers. On top of that, I do about three track days a year so I could really give a rat's *** if it is or if it isn't. I know I will have a car that is damn fast with top notch build quality. Picture it, black 997 w/EVO SC, GT3 wheels, Techart III rear wing and GT3 front end.
The Cayman S motor is performance. 295 hp gets you a car that will run low 13s at a trap of 105-107 mph for those who want to know 1/4 mile, but most importantly it has a flat tq line and rev smoothe. it does have a lot of performance to offer. do you think that a lotus elise has no performance to offer because it only has 198 hp? hell no. that thing moves and handles well also.

Scott, im seeing the EVO SC'd 997(which

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997GT3 or C6 Z06