Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

BAD NEWS!!! for us RS buyers!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:40 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The 997GT3 is a better buy than the RS by a long shot, esp the dumbed down US version. Comparing the RS(RoW) and the USRS is really apples and oranges, the fact is you are NOT getting the real RS, roll bar and all. Better off with a GT3.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:02 AM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
The 997GT3 is a better buy than the RS by a long shot, esp the dumbed down US version. Comparing the RS(RoW) and the USRS is really apples and oranges, the fact is you are NOT getting the real RS, roll bar and all. Better off with a GT3.
this is totally my point of view towards all the speculations... but either way the RS will be a collectable in its own rights...

PS but honestly Porsche should have NOT brought the RS state side since they cannot DOT all the equipments which pretty much makes up what a RS is really about... great dissapointment to us Porsche loyalists... and i might just settle with the BEST GT3(not RS)ever made...

Alan

Last edited by 6088TTS; 12-31-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:23 AM
cnc
Awaiting Email Confirmation
cnc is infamous around these parts
You could be right, but we'll have to wait to see how the resale values are, to really find out.

I will make a friendly little wager with you that the RS holds its value more than the GT3 will (and therefore will be the "better" economic proposition (irony noted)).

Old 12-31-2006, 04:42 PM
rs200evo has a spectacular aura aboutrs200evo has a spectacular aura aboutrs200evo has a spectacular aura about
remember, the gt3 will always be a gt3, no matter what anyone does to it. unless it's numbered by the factory, it will never be a gt3-rs. The gt3 is, on its own a great car. Loke it or not, history has shown us that no matter what you do to improve a car, it's the ones with the factory chassis numbers that prevail.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:30 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rs200evo
remember, the gt3 will always be a gt3, no matter what anyone does to it. unless it's numbered by the factory, it will never be a gt3-rs. The gt3 is, on its own a great car. Loke it or not, history has shown us that no matter what you do to improve a car, it's the ones with the factory chassis numbers that prevail.
thats from a collector's point of view... for us who enjoy's driving... we would really want to drive the REAL RS... not the WATERED down version... and now seems like the RS does not justify its 20-30k premium over the 'normal' GT3 we own...

Alan

Old 12-31-2006, 06:45 PM
rs200evo has a spectacular aura aboutrs200evo has a spectacular aura aboutrs200evo has a spectacular aura about
it's not a collectors point of view at all. It's reality. I've enjoyed driving all my porsches as you do. All that i'm saying is if you feel you are not getting you money's worth, don't buy one. Some might think the gt3 is overpriced, and you could get the same performance by spending a lot less, such as a z06. BTW has any one taken delivery of an rs here in the states. ? Maybe our concerns are not warranted. Everyone knew that we went getting a roll bar or lite weight seats, or a lexan rear window. come on now.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:35 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
Is the US version really "dumbed down"? Fact we do not get:

1. Carbon seats
2. Roll bar
3. Lexan rear window
4. we get door storge bins (ROW does not)

Otherwise we get the exact same car. All the performance comes from the wider track, upgraded suspenion and aero dynamics (front and rear). Sure we need to jettison the seats and add the roll bar (the rear window is of no consequence), but otherwise we are getting the real deal.

The GT3 is a great car and a value alternative, but it will never be an RS (regardless of price difference). As far as collectability goes I will post back on this in 20 years when we know the outcome. In the meantime enjoy the heck out of your current Porsche, whatever it may be.

JCM

Old 01-01-2007, 02:12 AM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by supercup
Sure we need to jettison the seats and add the roll bar (the rear window is of no consequence), but otherwise we are getting the real deal.
Pay for the same parts twice and get them once, this why I took back my deposit and bought a FORD instead...! That's even worse than charging $17k for X50.

As far as the collectibility argument... LOL. You need an aircooled car for that, have you looked at 996 GT2 values lately?

Old 01-01-2007, 02:14 AM
A430v is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rs200evo
BTW has any one taken delivery of an rs here in the states. ? Maybe our concerns are not warranted. Everyone knew that we went getting a roll bar or lite weight seats, or a lexan rear window. come on now.
First deliveries won't be until late February/early March for the US. First batch of cars are slated for January production, they will be built soon.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by F**K
Pay for the same parts twice and get them once, this why I took back my deposit and bought a FORD instead...! That's even worse than charging $17k for X50.

As far as the collectibility argument... LOL. You need an aircooled car for that, have you looked at 996 GT2 values lately?
996GT2 does not count since it is a MASS produced car!!!... if you want a example please reference the 996GT3RS... it is demanding more than NEW right now... ANYWHERE in the world! but i definitly agree with you about paying for the same parts twice!

Alan

Old 01-01-2007, 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by supercup
Is the US version really "dumbed down"? Fact we do not get:

1. Carbon seats
2. Roll bar
3. Lexan rear window
4. we get door storge bins (ROW does not)

Otherwise we get the exact same car. All the performance comes from the wider track, upgraded suspenion and aero dynamics (front and rear). Sure we need to jettison the seats and add the roll bar (the rear window is of no consequence), but otherwise we are getting the real deal.

The GT3 is a great car and a value alternative, but it will never be an RS (regardless of price difference). As far as collectability goes I will post back on this in 20 years when we know the outcome. In the meantime enjoy the heck out of your current Porsche, whatever it may be.

JCM
you are right about all the differeces between the USRS and the ROW RS... but you are missing one point is that they also have SIMILAR PRICING!!! so what does this mean??? i just can't justify paying for parts thats not on the car... in another word getting riped off!!! but either way... if some one wants a Unique and collectable Porsche the RS is the way to go... and guess what i am one of them... and will likely take the RS coming my way...

Alan

Old 01-01-2007, 06:39 AM
aretm is infamous around these parts
Heres a little teaser from us in ROW land. New delivered GT3 at our local Porsche centre here in Australia. The wheel pic was meant to show the semi racing slick that we have on our GT3's for road use...

For now ill post this as the server isnt taking pic uploads for the last two days.........

Old 01-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Smoltz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 6088TTS
you are right about all the differeces between the USRS and the ROW RS... but you are missing one point is that they also have SIMILAR PRICING!!! so what does this mean??? i just can't justify paying for parts thats not on the car... in another word getting riped off!!! but either way... if some one wants a Unique and collectable Porsche the RS is the way to go... and guess what i am one of them... and will likely take the RS coming my way...

Alan

The pricing really isn't that close after you factor in exchange rate. In fact, quite the opposite, we're getting a great deal. The base price on the GT3 in Europe is 110k Euros. That's almost 150k US. The price differential between the ROW GT3RS and US GT3RS Will be similar to that of the GT3.

Even if you factor in the roll bar and the seats, that's what, $12500-15000 including insall. You're still ahead of the game.

Bottom line is this... it's a bummer that we don't get the same car they do due to various PCNA/DOT issues, but in the US, we enjoy some of the best pricing on these vehicles in the world.

-Adam

Old 01-01-2007, 01:24 PM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
996GT2 does not count since it is a MASS produced car!!!... if you want a example please reference the 996GT3RS... it is demanding more than NEW right now...
Define mass produced...? Porsche built less 996 GT2s than Carrera GTs, and from what I understand there are ~300 GT2s in the United States (02, 03, 04, 05 models) whereas there will be 229 MY 2007 GT3 RSs coming to the USA.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:06 PM
supercup is infamous around these parts
I would not consider the 996 GT2 mass produced at around 965 cars of total production and 305 USA cars. The 996 GT3 RS is a bit rarer at 642. I guess if you compare to the 993 GT2 (less than a 100), then they are mass produced, but if you compare to the 73 RS, currently one of the hottest Porsche collectables, of which they produced 2,700 they seem pretty rare.

If you are a collector you would be wise to buy a GT2 at today's prices as they may just be the best supercar buy ever, a lot of car for the moeny!

Alan

In England they are selling for 94K pound, that is a lot more than our base pricing of $123K. I do agree the spread from the GT3 at $106K is too much, but demand is making that a non issue. My RS is coming in February and I would not consider a GT3 (sunroof and all) as an alternative. I prefer my GT2 which I plan to keep.

Alan take your car you will be glad you did every time you drive it. The price difference will be of no consequence when you are smiling behind the wheel!

JCM

Last edited by supercup; 01-01-2007 at 05:19 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BAD NEWS!!! for us RS buyers!!!