Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

BAD NEWS!!! for us RS buyers!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:18 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Smoltz
The pricing really isn't that close after you factor in exchange rate. In fact, quite the opposite, we're getting a great deal. The base price on the GT3 in Europe is 110k Euros. That's almost 150k US. The price differential between the ROW GT3RS and US GT3RS Will be similar to that of the GT3.

Even if you factor in the roll bar and the seats, that's what, $12500-15000 including insall. You're still ahead of the game.

Bottom line is this... it's a bummer that we don't get the same car they do due to various PCNA/DOT issues, but in the US, we enjoy some of the best pricing on these vehicles in the world.

-Adam
exchange rate does not count due to weak dollar value!... if you take the price of a US GT3 and a US GT3 RS the differeces are around 20-30k USD... if you take pricing in Europe they are getting the RS with around the same premium over the GT3 as us... in another word we are paying MORE for LESS! and especially us here in Canada where our dollar is so strong it does not justify the MSRP on our GT3 and RSs... my GT3 cost as much as a '05 Gallardo with 2000miles... around 150k USD + Tax!!!...

Alan

Old 01-01-2007, 05:19 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by aretm
Heres a little teaser from us in ROW land. New delivered GT3 at our local Porsche centre here in Australia. The wheel pic was meant to show the semi racing slick that we have on our GT3's for road use...

For now ill post this as the server isnt taking pic uploads for the last two days.........
dude we have the Semi Slicks too... don't be too proud of your ROW cars...

Alan

Old 01-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by F**K
Define mass produced...? Porsche built less 996 GT2s than Carrera GTs, and from what I understand there are ~300 GT2s in the United States (02, 03, 04, 05 models) whereas there will be 229 MY 2007 GT3 RSs coming to the USA.
mass produced means they are NOT limited... like how GT3 is... they'll build to a infinite # of cars which Porsche will decide when to stop... where as the RS is produced under a Restriction of number of cars going to be produced like the Enzo, CGT, Veyron, SLR, hell even the '03 40th anniversary 911s and Boxters... and that sir is called Limited Production

Alan

Old 01-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by supercup
I would not consider the 996 GT2 mass produced at around 965 cars of total production and 305 USA cars. The 996 GT3 RS is a bit rarer at 642. I guess if you compare to the 993 GT2 (less than a 100), then they are mass produced, but if you compare to the 73 RS, currently one of the hottest Porsche collectables, of which they produced 2,700 they seem pretty rare.

If you are a collector you would be wise to buy a GT2 at today's prices as they may just be the best supercar buy ever, a lot of car for the moeny!

In England they are selling for 94K pound, that is a lot more than our base pricing of $123K. I do agree the spread from the GT3 at $106K is too much, but demand is making that a non issue. My RS is coming in February and I would not consider a GT3 (sunroof and all) as an alternative. I prefer my GT2 which I plan to keep.

Alan take your car you will be glad you did every time you drive it. The price difference will be of no consequence when you are smiling behind the wheel!

JCM
I will... Thank you

Alan

Old 01-01-2007, 07:25 PM
RS 197 is infamous around these partsRS 197 is infamous around these parts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by supercup
I would not consider the 996 GT2 mass produced at around 965 cars of total production and 305 USA cars. The 996 GT3 RS is a bit rarer at 642. I guess if you compare to the 993 GT2 (less than a 100), then they are mass produced, but if you compare to the 73 RS, currently one of the hottest Porsche collectables, of which they produced 2,700 they seem pretty rare.

If you are a collector you would be wise to buy a GT2 at today's prices as they may just be the best supercar buy ever, a lot of car for the moeny!

In England they are selling for 94K pound, that is a lot more than our base pricing of $123K. I do agree the spread from the GT3 at $106K is too much, but demand is making that a non issue. My RS is coming in February and I would not consider a GT3 (sunroof and all) as an alternative. I prefer my GT2 which I plan to keep.

Alan take your car you will be glad you did every time you drive it. The price difference will be of no consequence when you are smiling behind the wheel!

JCM
This is a nice debate, If you are going to debate get your numbers right. How many 73 RS's were built??? It certianly was not 2,700. More like Less than 1,600. Of those how many are still alive. No rust proofing in a rainy climate. there may be 500 total left that are decent cars. that is one of the reasons they are so collectable. The RS will never be that collectable. Look at what the GT2 has done. Take a nice $70K hit in the first 3 years. What about the CGT, Porsche could not even sell them. They will be collectable some day but at the $300K price range.

The RS is just another car. Thank goodness for the GT3. you get all the same bang for less buck. 5 years down the road they both will depreciate at about the same rate.

I may pay sticker for an 08.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Smoltz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 6088TTS
exchange rate does not count due to weak dollar value!... if you take the price of a US GT3 and a US GT3 RS the differeces are around 20-30k USD... if you take pricing in Europe they are getting the RS with around the same premium over the GT3 as us... in another word we are paying MORE for LESS! and especially us here in Canada where our dollar is so strong it does not justify the MSRP on our GT3 and RSs... my GT3 cost as much as a '05 Gallardo with 2000miles... around 150k USD + Tax!!!...

Alan
That's not my fault you live in Canada.

LOL. You guys do get screwed on pricing. Have you thought of just buying in the US and having it imported. I've heard that it isn't too bad cost and hassle wise.

So what if the dollar is weak, it doesn't change the fact that we're getting a 20% discount on these cars relative to people in Germany.

-Adam

Old 01-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Smoltz
That's not my fault you live in Canada.

LOL. You guys do get screwed on pricing. Have you thought of just buying in the US and having it imported. I've heard that it isn't too bad cost and hassle wise.

So what if the dollar is weak, it doesn't change the fact that we're getting a 20% discount on these cars relative to people in Germany.

-Adam
???... thats not at all what my point was... what this whole discussion is refering to is that the GT3 is a much better buy than the RS in the states than ROW... the RS is a great car non the less... but in the states it does not justify the Premium it demands over the Regular GT3... you cannot factor in exchange rate simply because people in Europe cannot pay less to get a US car and imported there... same as here in Canada... we cannot import BRAND NEW cars from the states, no one can... you can only buy used ones and importing them... but thats just too much hassle and by the time you want to resale the car would be a *****... i'd rather get the Canadian cars where they're resale value would be higher than the US cars...

Alan

Old 01-02-2007, 12:44 AM
supercup is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RS 197
This is a nice debate, If you are going to debate get your numbers right. How many 73 RS's were built??? It certianly was not 2,700. More like Less than 1,600. Of those how many are still alive. No rust proofing in a rainy climate. there may be 500 total left that are decent cars. that is one of the reasons they are so collectable. The RS will never be that collectable. Look at what the GT2 has done. Take a nice $70K hit in the first 3 years. What about the CGT, Porsche could not even sell them. They will be collectable some day but at the $300K price range.

The RS is just another car. Thank goodness for the GT3. you get all the same bang for less buck. 5 years down the road they both will depreciate at about the same rate.

I may pay sticker for an 08.
I read 2,700 RS's in a recent article, which shocked me, given you own a few I will defer to your number. My number may be off and your suggestion how many are still alive is true and the same will hold true for the GT2, 996 GT3 RS and 997 RS and so on in 30 years. If you buy them new they will depreciate and if you don't drive them you will have lost. However if you buy a GT2 at today's prices, some $70k to $100K less than new, you may be buying a collectable 15 years from now and you can have a lot of fun driving it in the mean time.

Buy em and drive um, if they become collectable, ok nice side benefit, if they don't so what think of the smiles per mile you get in the meantime.

JCM

Old 01-06-2007, 04:27 AM
aretm is infamous around these parts