Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Apprently there has been some discussion of the weight of the 997 GT3.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 01:05 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
mike are you sure that's correct? when was the last time your scales were calibrated? that seems to be off. If correct my 996tt is pretty damn close!

Old 12-30-2006, 01:36 AM
habitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nicehabitat is just really nice
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
It needs to be 600lbs lighter with 800 more hp!

Old 12-30-2006, 02:27 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Wowww, had no idea it was that heavy :/

Old 12-30-2006, 02:47 AM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Josh
Curb (kerb) weight is the total weight of an automobile with standard equipment, motor oil, coolant, a full tank of fuel and not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

The 997 GT3 has a 17.7 gallon tank and gasoline weights roughly 6.25lbs per gallon, so add about another 83lbs to get the accurate curb weight for that car.

So based upon AWE's scales (which may or may not be accurate), a typical US GT3's curb weight is in the 3300lbs range, 225lbs more than the weight given on Porsche's US website.
Curb Weight stated on Porsche's General catalog for the 997GT3 is 3,075lb... you guys can also confirm this on the US PORSCHE WEBSITE... http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...s/?gtabindex=5... if only Sport Chrono, Xenon, and Sound package could weigh in at around 200lb... then we are in deep ****! so if Porsche lied about the GT3's weight can we get a refund??? Mike from AWE can you please confirm that the car is on a flat ground... i mean absolutely flat??? cuz i think corner weighting differs if the car is tilted??? and also remember that everything counts... even Owner's Manual, bottles of water, CDs, dropped pennies, etc. can add weight ... i really hope we didn't get cheated by Porsche... but now seems like we might be lied to...

Alan

Old 12-30-2006, 08:57 AM
grussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud ofgrussell has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 20C4S
exactly. and power to weight ratio.
Arling,

We are waiting for you to weigh your car to confirm the GT3 is fat. hmmm... when I drove one my comment was it feels heavy.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 6088TTS
Curb Weight stated on Porsche's General catalog for the 997GT3 is 3,075lb... you guys can also confirm this on the US PORSCHE WEBSITE... http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...s/?gtabindex=5... if only Sport Chrono, Xenon, and Sound package could weigh in at around 200lb... then we are in deep ****! so if Porsche lied about the GT3's weight can we get a refund??? Mike from AWE can you please confirm that the car is on a flat ground... i mean absolutely flat??? cuz i think corner weighting differs if the car is tilted??? and also remember that everything counts... even Owner's Manual, bottles of water, CDs, dropped pennies, etc. can add weight ... i really hope we didn't get cheated by Porsche... but now seems like we might be lied to...

Alan

As stated in the owners manual.
"GT3 weight specs from factory, empty (no fuel, driver, oil): 3075 to
3219 depending on equipment."

The car was on flat ground. However that would not matter anyway if we were just looking for overall weight. If we were doing a corner balance, that's a different story.

Car's interior is spotless... No unwanted loose change.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by oak
mike are you sure that's correct? when was the last time your scales were calibrated? that seems to be off. If correct my 996tt is pretty damn close!
Scales are calibrated before each use. Takes about 5 minutes.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:29 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
3223 with 415hp???

Not bad at all! I guess ill need about 375whp in my EVO to come close to that HP/weight ratio
Ahh, but the Evo's got tons of torque (when tuned) which would make quick work of the GT3 in the sprint to 62 (but thats about it).

Old 12-30-2006, 05:54 PM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
As stated in the owners manual.
"GT3 weight specs from factory, empty (no fuel, driver, oil): 3075 to
3219 depending on equipment."

The car was on flat ground. However that would not matter anyway if we were just looking for overall weight. If we were doing a corner balance, that's a different story.

Car's interior is spotless... No unwanted loose change.
so Josh is wrong about Curb Weight measurement??? which one is correct with or with out full tank of gas and oil??? someone please varify this... and also anyone know the Curb Weight Porsche published on the 996GT3??? should be less than 50lb of differences...

Alan

Old 12-30-2006, 06:16 PM
enthusiast is infamous around these parts
For what it's worth, when Car & Driver tested the 996 GT3 they had it weighing in at 3219 lbs. I'm assuming that included a full tank of gas.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Josh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the roughJosh is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 6088TTS
so Josh is wrong about Curb Weight measurement??? which one is correct with or with out full tank of gas and oil??? someone please varify this... and also anyone know the Curb Weight Porsche published on the 996GT3??? should be less than 50lb of differences...

Alan

I copied the curb weight info from Wiki. It is also verified on numerous other sites. The question is if Porsche uses their "own" formula to alter the numbers.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:57 PM
amenasce is infamous around these parts
Im afraid the days of lightweights cars are over..

Old 12-30-2006, 07:09 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
The US sports seats weigh a ton compared to the euro seats.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:33 PM
enthusiast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Josh
I copied the curb weight info from Wiki. It is also verified on numerous other sites. The question is if Porsche uses their "own" formula to alter the numbers.
Curb weight quoted by the (European) manufacturers excludes gasoline. I beleive this is done because of the varying size of the gas tanks and the effect it would have on the car's gross weight. Measuring a car's weight without gasoline creates a baseline and true standard for comparison.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by enthusiast
For what it's worth, when Car & Driver tested the 996 GT3 they had it weighing in at 3219 lbs. I'm assuming that included a full tank of gas.
as far as C&D's info... the 996GT3 offically weigh the same as the 997GT3... despite the 997 having a sunroof and TC and etc... also proves alot of 996GT3 loyalists wrong about how the 996 weights alot less than the 997...

Alan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Apprently there has been some discussion of the weight of the 997 GT3.