Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 GT3 to F355 - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:11 AM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
don't do it! unless you prace the pracing horse...

Alan

Old 01-09-2007, 09:35 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
Well, then you must have driven some pretty dogged cars.

Most 355's I've seen dyno at around 310-315. Mine was a hair under 320 or so if memory serves when stock.

Most GT3's I've seen dyno around 330 and change.
sorry Simba...a GT3 kills the 355. Actual dyno numbers for the GT3...at least mine...372rwhp(europipe exhaust) done at AWE Tuning on a mustang chassis dyno. When it was brand spanking new, stock she pulled 348 rwhp....on the same dyno with similar atmospheric conditions...just an FYI

Old 01-09-2007, 10:30 AM
bobafett is infamous around these parts
If you're after out and out performance, the 355 is an older car with older technology and a considerably weaker chassis. But it doesn't sound like you're at the track or even competitively autocrossing.

If you're out auto-x'ing for fun and generally just enjoying the car - switch it up. They're slow and they're a bit porky (though the 355 has great turn-in once you figure out how to drive it), but it's a blast to drive and it looks like it's doing 100mph at rest. Comparatively, it's also one of the sexiest car designs to date (though I don't care for the interior at all).

That being said, I would forego the droptop and get the GTS instead. A 355 chassis is a bit weak to start (look at the c-pillars on well-worn cars to see some slight indication of stress wear), and the drop-top was NOT designed as a car (in the way that the 360 convertible was designed as a roadster) - they just hacked a roof off and said voila. If you drive the car aggressively, and place a hand at the top corner of the windshield - you'll actually FEEL the flex.

Instead, find the color combo that does it for you (canna di fucili over sabbia with nero carpeting is perfection IMO) and buy the GTS. It has 99% of the structural rigidity of the berlinetta, but you still get the fantastic drop-top experience mostly. If your car isn't black, paint the removable top to match and you'll be fine.

As far as buying a car for mechanicals - I would stay away from a low-mileage queen. Ferraris have a bit of voodoo to them, and as is the casre with normal cars, lower mileage doesn't necessarily mean a better car. Generally you want a collectorish car that was driven but had a lot of good money spent on it early on. Preventative maintenance on these cars goes a HUGE way to avoid corrective maintenance. And given what a major takes on a 355 (the whole rear end drops out basically - and the rear suspension is attached to the motor/tranny), you'd be best off finding that kind of car.

Luckily, 355s are plentiful and there are myriad good examples to choose from. If you need help, I'm more than happy to point you in the direction of a few cars / people.

--Dan

Old 01-09-2007, 10:32 AM
bobafett is infamous around these parts
Oh, and the 355 with hyperflows and tubis has to be one of the purest, sexiest, most spine-tingling sounds to have ever come from a combustion motor...

--Dan

Old 01-09-2007, 12:20 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
Well, then you must have driven some pretty dogged cars.

Most 355's I've seen dyno at around 310-315. Mine was a hair under 320 or so if memory serves when stock.

Most GT3's I've seen dyno around 330 and change.

GT3's typically pull a 0-60 of 4.0-4.5 seconds, depending on the driver and conditions. Most 355's do it in 4.3-4.9. GT3's generally crank off a 12.3-12.4 quarter at 116-118 or so. 355's generally do a quarter in 12.6-12.8 at 114-116.

These are not drastic, earth-shaking performance differences. The GT3 is a fine car, and yes, it has a small performance advantage over a 355, as much as would make no difference on the street. I love Porsche, but jeez, put down the kool-aid for a minute.

I can't believe you are wasting time comparing the performance of these two cars. They are two completely different cars.The numbers on paper don't mean much to anyone when it comes to driver's feels and car's responds. So the real question here is do you want to drive or do you want to polish your car.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MiniDHinkle
Dont do it..you will regret it.
Like you have driven both? Come on get real....

Old 01-09-2007, 04:11 PM
MetalSolid is infamous around these parts
355 Coupé is one of the best looking mid-engine Ferraris, ever. But it's no GT3...

Old 01-09-2007, 04:17 PM
TDY
TDY is infamous around these parts
i had a '95 355 GTB and an '04 GT3. even on the street it doesn't take schumi to recognize that a GT3 handily outperforms a 355 in every sense, which shouldn't be surprising given the 355 came out in 1994!

but that said, the 355 (esp with a tubi) is one of the most fun, visceral, beautiful cars i've ever owned, much more so than the gt3, IMO.

but it just depends on what you're looking for, they're both incredible cars.

Last edited by TDY; 01-09-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Geez... I consider the 360 (non-Stradale) a piece of trash... the 355 is even worse. My ex girlfriend used to compare her ex's 360 to my GT2... that's when I pretty much knew I had to get rid of her.

The only Ferraris I would even put in the same sentence as a GT3 is a 360 CS or a 430. Period. End of story.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:30 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hamann7
My ex girlfriend used to compare her ex's 360 to my GT2... that's when I pretty much knew I had to get rid of her. .
Representin' yo.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 AM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Hamann7
Geez... I consider the 360 (non-Stradale) a piece of trash... the 355 is even worse. My ex girlfriend used to compare her ex's 360 to my GT2... that's when I pretty much knew I had to get rid of her.

The only Ferraris I would even put in the same sentence as a GT3 is a 360 CS or a 430. Period. End of story.
I have one better for ya...my ex tried to get under my skin with a text the other day that her date was taking her out in a ferrari which is "nicer than my GT3"....it happened to be a 348

Old 01-10-2007, 04:39 AM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by frayed
The jump from Porsche to Ferrari is inevitable for many, and of those people, quite a few jump back to Porsche. If you are a driver and not a car polisher, eventually you find your way back to Porsche.
I like that...

Old 01-11-2007, 06:11 AM
scotia_steve74 is infamous around these parts
If you're going Ferrari, the 355 is stunning but a little dated now inside. The GT3 needs a more modern Ferrari to compare..... I would seriously look at the 360 CS if you have the Modena bug! It's a totally stunning car and although quite expensive, a great move from a GT3. Saying that, I'd probably keep the GT3 or move to a 997 GT3....

Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by scotia_steve74
If you're going Ferrari, the 355 is stunning but a little dated now inside. The GT3 needs a more modern Ferrari to compare..... I would seriously look at the 360 CS if you have the Modena bug! It's a totally stunning car and although quite expensive, a great move from a GT3. Saying that, I'd probably keep the GT3 or move to a 997 GT3....
Totally agree, 997 GT3 is where its at, and ALOT more exotic IMO in every way, sound included

And the 360CS is still in my top 5 favorite cars ever, its so damm gorgeous and amazing in every way!

Old 01-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rockitman
sorry Simba...a GT3 kills the 355. Actual dyno numbers for the GT3...at least mine...372rwhp(europipe exhaust) done at AWE Tuning on a mustang chassis dyno. When it was brand spanking new, stock she pulled 348 rwhp....on the same dyno with similar atmospheric conditions...just an FYI
Yes, it's faster, however all of the examples I've seen are marginally so, which is what I said to begin with.

All of the 996 GT3's I've seen dynoed are in the 320-330 range, 332 being the best, on a Dynojet. I'd love to see the atmospheric numbers and correction factors for your run, as your car appears to be making over 40 horse more than any 996 GT3 I've ever seen in stock trim.

Last edited by Simba; 01-11-2007 at 11:51 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 to F355 - Worth it?