Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Test: Porsche 997 GT3 RS vs Corvette Z06

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Kurt RSF is infamous around these parts
You guys have me convinced. I'm going to cancel my order for the GT3RS, let the dealer keep the $20k deposit, buy the Z06, and I'll still be $50k ahead. I wish I'd thought of this earlier.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:12 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hesperus
I think one way to look at it is this-- ANY owner who is really serious about tracking his car, is also probably the type of person who would do a bit of fettling here and there to make his car faster or more fun on the track.

Which means that many Z06 owners are likely to eventually ditch the runflats, in favor of better tires-- quite possibly R-compounds, Hoosiers, etc.

Hence, while it is correct to say that-- from the showroom-- the RS is faster... as the cars are actually used (by serious trackday/DE drivers,) that is not clearly the case.

Just playing devil's advocate... i've got a GT3 after all, and really wanted the RS to completely wipe the floor with the Z06... but well... props to the 'Vette.

oh, and is it just me, or does that up close rear quarter shot of the 'Vette with the four bazooka tailpipes just look simply AWESOME?!?!

cheers!
couldnt have said it better myself.

I do agree that all around the GT3 is a better car IMO. You cant subsitute build quailty and the Z06 has proven itself and corvettes in general (including mine) to not be very sound automobiles. You get what you pay for and with the porsche you get refined beauty and performance while lacking the grunt of big displacement. The vette will get you all out thrills and speed at the track. The sport cups on the GT3 may not have been as good as what we have come to know but they sure are a hell of a lot better than the runflats.

They are both great cars and what no one has mentioned is that .5 seconds is a DRIVERS RACE!!!!!!!!! So it doesnt matter who spent what on MSRP, when you show up at the track the BEST DRIVER will win, so lets stop running our mouths and run our cars, put your foot where your mouth is a blow out exhaust gases instead of just hot air.

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-13-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:20 PM
white)2abbit is infamous around these parts
Interesting, the Z06 is defintely a financial steal, but the RS churns the soul.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:24 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I would love nothing more than to save 50-60k and get a car that performs as well as a 997TT / GT3 / RS. However knowing whats out there, sitting in it, looking at it from every angle, reading reviews etc. I don't think its worth the costs savings when I look 5 or 6 years into the ownership crystal ball and reflect on whats sitting in my garage.

After all there is a lot more to ownership (to some of us at least) than performance statistics. For a track day weapon, sure, you will be hard pressed to find something better than the Z06.

Is it faster than a 997TT? Ive seen races that show results favorable to both on different occasions so arguing about it is never going to get either camp to cave in.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:57 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
[quote=Chris from Cali] Who gets to go home with the head cheerleader? /quote]

Reminds me of a story,

Old 01-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Paris_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the roughParis_CarreraS is a jewel in the rough
incredible perfomance of the Corvette....Porsche have to put his best pure car to campare it!!!! Gt3 RS!!!!!
the Corvette interior....
here in Buenos Aires....you can buy that Corvette for U$S 130.000
jajajaja...in your dreams GM!!!!

Old 01-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
They're both exceptional performers. The bottom line is, s*** costs money. Finer interiors, tighter seams, more refined drivetrains, fewer build numbers, R&D, etc. all cost money. The GT3 RS costs more than the Corvette - period.

Emphasis was placed on measured performance when designing the Z06, and have it compare favorably with the worlds best sports cars. In that respect, it does what it was designed to do. It was not intended to be a $125K car for $75K. No manufacturer offers that. Speaking as a former European car(s) owner, the Z06 is quality enough that the driver can enjoy the car's exceptional performance and not be distracted by the accommodations. You won't feel great about the interior, but you didn't pay dearly for it either.

All I know is, it's a great time to be a car guy.

Last edited by Rob; 01-13-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:16 PM
turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !
the corvette's performance is quite impressive. that said, I'd still take a GT3-RS anyday

Old 01-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Evil Duffman has a spectacular aura aboutEvil Duffman has a spectacular aura aboutEvil Duffman has a spectacular aura about
I wonder when the comparisons between the new 600hp Dodge Viper and the Z06 are coming out. Supposedly the new Viper is gonna be the Z06 beater and at $90k its not too bad. Personally I always liked the looks of the Viper better than the Vette.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:23 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I love the Z06 for the price you can't beat it. Wait until they build the Blue Devil with reportedly 650 hp!

Now I am a Porsche guy and also love the GT3 RS I think it is much better looking than the 997 tt.

Am I the only one who likes both cars???

Old 01-13-2007, 06:39 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
You're not alone, Buddy. I dig both of them. I just don't happen to have the means to buy an RS

Old 01-13-2007, 06:59 PM
zona is infamous around these partszona is infamous around these parts
I agree,

best bang for your buck is the z06. If you don't care about the depreciation of the GM product, then you could buy 2 z06's for the price of a RS.

But....
70lbs lighter
90 more hp
170 lb-ft of torque
7-liter v8
you would think that this would spank the RS
IMO, the results really don't make the z06 look that great!
-z

Originally Posted by buddyg
I love the Z06 for the price you can't beat it. Wait until they build the Blue Devil with reportedly 650 hp!

Now I am a Porsche guy and also love the GT3 RS I think it is much better looking than the 997 tt.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:42 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buddyg
Nope......

Old 01-13-2007, 07:47 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zona
I agree,

best bang for your buck is the z06. If you don't care about the depreciation of the GM product, then you could buy 2 z06's for the price of a RS.

But....
70lbs lighter
90 more hp
170 lb-ft of torque
7-liter v8
you would think that this would spank the RS
IMO, the results really don't make the z06 look that great!
-z
All that prooves is that the porsche has better tires. Anyone who races knows that tires can make 3,4,5 seconds on just a 2 mile course, if the vette had the same tires it would improve by at least 2 seconds which would be well ahead of the RS per lap.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:55 PM
zona is infamous around these partszona is infamous around these parts
Maybe, if were talking about a good set of slicks and a set of dead slicks but IMO I don't think the run flat goodyears and the latest compound MSPC are 3-5 seconds apart. That would be one hell of a sales gimmick............" buy these tires and they will add 100hp to your car"

Originally Posted by heavychevy
All that prooves is that the porsche has better tires. Anyone who races knows that tires can make 3,4,5 seconds on just a 2 mile course, if the vette had the same tires it would improve by at least 2 seconds which would be well ahead of the RS per lap.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test: Porsche 997 GT3 RS vs Corvette Z06