Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Race School Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
As someone else said Lime Rock is home to Skip Barber and close to NY. They have several different courses available. High perf. course (porsche, BMW, vipers, etc.are used as well as the race schools (open dodge).

If you're interested they also offer a 1/2 day "intro. to racing" for about $500 bucks. Last year Amex had something going with them where you could use your points to enroll in the class. It was a lot of fun. I would like to do the 4 day racing school but I think my time (and money) would be better spent doing the PDE and masters PDE back to back to learn as much about driving the p car as possible. Plus, I don't really see racing in my future. I'll then have plenty of oppty. in the NE to go to PCA DE's.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:26 PM
mowblowgo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E36M
I'd just buy a TaG go kart and pratice a lot with it. Seat time is all that really matters. I did a 3 day school at Mid Ohio and they didn't seem to teach any more than the very basics of driving and the line of the track. Maybe you could just buy a good book on driving such as "Going Faster" by skip barber, and then get in as much seat time as you can either in your car, or in a kart. Karts seem to teach more about being smooth because it's so hard to be smooth with them, and they give you a chance to race other people side by side. Whatever you do just get as much seat time as you can.

If you are set on doing a driving school, Mid Ohio probably has the best instructors. They have Tommy Byrne, use to race F1 and Indy Lights, Kenny Johnson, who raced Indy and F3000, and Elliott Forbes Robinson who has raced pretty much everything. Those are just some of their top guys, they are all VERY good and nice. http://midohio.com/school.aspx
Good advice. There is no better excercise than karts to learn how to scrub and then recover speed smoothly. Probably the best way to learn the line as well. I would be careful getting your initial seat time in a DE. If you initially have bad habits, you will only perfect the bad habits. Invest the $1,000 per day and go to a school. They will drive with you, watch you and critique/ teach you properly. Then seat time will only add to your knowledge. Heel/toe downshifting alone will take you several sessions to master.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:30 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mowblowgo
Good advice. I would be careful getting your initial seat time in a DE. If you initially have bad habits, you will only perfect the bad habits
Exactly why I'm holding off until I get some better training - not that you won't get a very good instructor at a DE but your guaranteed to get a great instructor at PDE (even though i'm still a bit skeptical of the lead-follow technique they use there).

Old 01-15-2007, 10:21 PM
E36M is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Exactly why I'm holding off until I get some better training - not that you won't get a very good instructor at a DE but your guaranteed to get a great instructor at PDE (even though i'm still a bit skeptical of the lead-follow technique they use there).
The lead-follow technique is becoming pretty common because instructors don't like to risk their lives. You'd be amazed at how much they can tell from following you! They will give you every bit as much feedback on your driving, the only differnce is that you can't hear it until you pull off the track, unless they have radios.

Karting is a great way to learn. The only real problem some people have with this is that they must be worked on a fair amount, then you have to find a place to put it, find someone to help you lift it up and down, ext. It's a huge learning curve, but the driving experience is phenomenal.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by E36M
The lead-follow technique is becoming pretty common because instructors don't like to risk their lives. You'd be amazed at how much they can tell from following you! They will give you every bit as much feedback on your driving, the only differnce is that you can't hear it until you pull off the track, unless they have radios.

Karting is a great way to learn. The only real problem some people have with this is that they must be worked on a fair amount, then you have to find a place to put it, find someone to help you lift it up and down, ext. It's a huge learning curve, but the driving experience is phenomenal.
The lead-follow that I've been experienced with has you following THEM - I believe PDE is the same way?

Old 01-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by E55AMG
The lead-follow that I've been experienced with has you following THEM - I believe PDE is the same way?
That wouldn't be lead-follow, that would be follow. I'm use to it being when your one on one with an instructor and they follow you, then you follow them. Then you head in and they let you know what your doing.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Skip Barber 100%
I did the 3 day Race School at Limerock and the 2 day hdpe at Laguna Seca.

I have never learned more in that 3 days than at that race school...

And that slippery slope got me that porsche I am going to tear up this summer in Clubracing...watch out...haha...

Old 01-16-2007, 10:26 AM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sechsgang
Skip Barber 100%

And that slippery slope got me that porsche I am going to tear up this summer in Clubracing...watch out...haha...
What kind of car?

Old 01-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Lead follow at PDE
The instructors Lead, students Follow.
Following students rotate out every two laps or so, everybody gets their turn behind the leader.
Instructors have one way radio communication to the students cars.

Instructors keep a watchfull eye on the following cars line as well as how well the group is keeping pace.

If everyone is doing the right thing...the pace picks up lap after lap.

Barber Motorsports Park is very unique in that it has quite a few completely blind entry corners which fall away just before entrance.

For me, the Masters program lead follow was great being talked thru the T7 complex following David Donohue. "Stay with me, Let the car float thru the corner"
Corner entry speeds on this complely blind entry were in the mid 70+ mph
range.
Follow the link and take a Hot Lap with David Murry:
Click ME

Old 01-16-2007, 11:23 AM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Trundle997
Driving is all about seat time!!!

Much more to it than I went to a school and got my license.
To as calm and relaxed driving at 10/10's as a cruise around your neighborhood takes lots of seat time.

Do PDE Basic & Masters, it will give you a great foundation upon which to build.
The Instructor base is second to none, guys who get paid to drive, not pay to drive.

14 Days to go till the Green Flag drops at the Rolex 24 at Daytona.

PDE instructors populating the field:

Hurley Haywood
David Donohue
Doc Bundy
David Murry
John Lewis
Andrew Davis

If you've been to PDE you know
If you have not, make the time to attend.

www.porschedriving.com
Andrew, David, and Doc are cool guys. Hurley ive heard can be harsh, although i have never met them but have met Andrew, David, and Doc are cool.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:29 PM
JWGT2 is infamous around these partsJWGT2 is infamous around these parts
Any thoughts on the Russell School (3/4day racing course) vs. the Skip Barber one?

Old 01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by JWGT2
Any thoughts on the Russell School (3/4day racing course) vs. the Skip Barber one?
From what I've read the Russell School offers more seat time, so I'd go there.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:14 PM
James, I'll bet you miss that GT2! How fun was it watching Darren drift that thing in Vegas?

Both schools are excellent. It really comes down to your driving/racing goals. If you ultimately want to race, I would do more than one school, so it doesn't matter which one is first. Do what is convenient to your schedule. Ultimately, you will find yourself with a drivers coach in a specific race car that you decide you want to compete in. Until that point, it is all a blast and you will need a ton of seat time so get going! When you are ready to shave a second or two, call me as I have some great recommendations. In the meanwhile, be careful at the $300 per day DE's. Lot's of fast cars, not a lot of experience.
Take Care-Stu

Old 01-18-2007, 02:54 AM
JWGT2 is infamous around these partsJWGT2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mowblowgo
James, I'll bet you miss that GT2! How fun was it watching Darren drift that thing in Vegas?

Both schools are excellent. It really comes down to your driving/racing goals. If you ultimately want to race, I would do more than one school, so it doesn't matter which one is first. Do what is convenient to your schedule. Ultimately, you will find yourself with a drivers coach in a specific race car that you decide you want to compete in. Until that point, it is all a blast and you will need a ton of seat time so get going! When you are ready to shave a second or two, call me as I have some great recommendations. In the meanwhile, be careful at the $300 per day DE's. Lot's of fast cars, not a lot of experience.
Take Care-Stu
Stu:
Thanks for the info. Some of my fellow track junkies are talking about getting a SCCA lic so we have access to tracks more often on test/tune days. You get to track much? -- noticed you have a raced out viper!

Yes, I do miss that GT2 in White!! I still have that vid of Darren drifting...that was so fun to watch...I will dig it up. Honestly though the GT640 in a GT2 w/o PSM was way too much for me. Sharky is in the process of building a GT800 w/internals in my Turbo S -- should be a beast.

James

Old 01-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Stu:
Thanks for the info. Some of my fellow track junkies are talking about getting a SCCA lic so we have access to tracks more often on test/tune days. You get to track much? -- noticed you have a raced out viper!

Yes, I do miss that GT2 in White!! I still have that vid of Darren drifting...that was so fun to watch...I will dig it up. Honestly though the GT640 in a GT2 w/o PSM was way too much for me. Sharky is in the process of building a GT800 w/internals in my Turbo S -- should be a beast.

James
I was able to get out to the track quite a bit last year with the Viper. Lot's of local testing with it, Nasa Nationals at mid-ohio, and ran Mosport and Laguna Seca with the World Challenge GT series. Now looking for a new car this year to run 4 or 5 WCGT events. Good luck with the schools and that GT800. That will be a lot of power to get down
Stu

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Race School Recommendations