Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Race School Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sechsgang
sadly, Im sure you would beat me at karting...Im just not in tune with 8 inch wheels and 6-9 hp...

Plus, I weigh around 175...so you have a slight weight to power ratio advantage...
exactly...

Old 12-29-2007, 10:04 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Jim Bacus
$1000
and its still such a bargain!!!!!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:20 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sechsgang
and its still such a bargain!!!!!
yes, that is tough to beat. If you have the basics down you can go to Skippy for 4k or you can do 4 days of 100% seat time with the top 911 drivers sitting next to you.

tw

Old 12-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Jim Bacus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
yes, that is tough to beat. If you have the basics down you can go to Skippy for 4k or you can do 4 days of 100% seat time with the top 911 drivers sitting next to you.

tw
I agree, I have been to schools several years ago for the basics. I have got a lot of seat time since then. Private instruction is better for me at this point in time, they can evaluate what I need to work on and then we work on it. It's not a preset training course. What I have taken away is amazing... when I get the opportunity again I will do it.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 PM
rs4fast is infamous around these parts
I agree, I have been to schools several years ago for the basics. I have got a lot of seat time since then. Private instruction is better for me at this point in time, they can evaluate what I need to work on and then we work on it. It's not a preset training course. What I have taken away is amazing... when I get the opportunity again I will do it.
Jim,

Who do you use for private instruction around Chicago? I am a member at Autobahn and see you all the time (don't think we have ever met). ANy info will help.

Jack

Old 12-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by rs4fast
Jim,

Who do you use for private instruction around Chicago? I am a member at Autobahn and see you all the time (don't think we have ever met). ANy info will help.

Jack
Hi Jack,
I am not sure if we met yet, but lets make sure that we do next season.

The gentlemen I listed earlier in this thread I hired for private instruction to work with me at the Autobahn. That's another nice thing, working with me on my home track which I know so well, and then they show me how to improve on that.

I too am a member at the Autobahn CC, but I am also a member of LAPS, Inc. which is a driving club that rents the full circuit on Mondays at the 'bahn. Shawn Young, the guy that runs LAPS and also works in membership sales at the Autobahn CC brings in pro drivers from time to time for hire. I got hooked up through that. Also, Napleton Porsche (where I bought my Porsches) also brings in pro drivers for their customers to hire. I also got hooked up there. That's how I got the opportunity to hire the private instruction last year, I hope to do the same next year.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:03 PM
BKSPN33 is infamous around these parts
Shawn is a good buddy and a very good driver/instructor. Glad to hear his name in this thread. Anyway, there has been tons of good advice here but I would get as much entry level DE events as possible before going to higher level driving, racing schools. It takes a while to start to feel the subtle things going on at very high speed and critical moments. Once you have improved to the point where the basics are unconsciously competent, then hire a pro driver or go to an advanced school. Going straight to racing school will be expensive and most of the higher level info will be wasted as you get used to driving closer to the limits.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:22 PM
IIVVX is infamous around these partsIIVVX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by E36M
I'd just buy a TaG go kart and pratice a lot with it. Seat time is all that really matters. I did a 3 day school at Mid Ohio and they didn't seem to teach any more than the very basics of driving and the line of the track. Maybe you could just buy a good book on driving such as "Going Faster" by skip barber, and then get in as much seat time as you can either in your car, or in a kart. Karts seem to teach more about being smooth because it's so hard to be smooth with them, and they give you a chance to race other people side by side. Whatever you do just get as much seat time as you can.
best advice in this whole thread. the one activity that improves everyone is karting and on top of that it is about the most fun you can have on 4 wheels.

a link for those interested -> http://www.karting1.co.uk/karting-techniques.htm

Old 01-03-2008, 03:08 AM
Hi Jack,
I am not sure if we met yet, but lets make sure that we do next season.

The gentlemen I listed earlier in this thread I hired for private instruction to work with me at the Autobahn. That's another nice thing, working with me on my home track which I know so well, and then they show me how to improve on that.

I too am a member at the Autobahn CC, but I am also a member of LAPS, Inc. which is a driving club that rents the full circuit on Mondays at the 'bahn. Shawn Young, the guy that runs LAPS and also works in membership sales at the Autobahn CC brings in pro drivers from time to time for hire. I got hooked up through that. Also, Napleton Porsche (where I bought my Porsches) also brings in pro drivers for their customers to hire. I also got hooked up there. That's how I got the opportunity to hire the private instruction last year, I hope to do the same next year.
Jim,

My dad has the M5 powered E46 that Falline-Motorsports bulit (pic). I have seen your car out there plenty of times and always drool over the white/blue scheme. I have done an instructional day with Shawn at the 'bahn with my brother in our NSX. I recently bought a Forumal Mazda and am looking for an open wheel coach. I hope to see you at the track this year.

Jack

Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
Yes, it is a great way to go. Many of my friends spent money on modifications to make their car faster, I spent money on learning to drive faster.

I "hired/rented" in 2007

John Lewis
Andrew Davis
Wolf Henzler
Dominik Farnbacher
Shane Lewis

Had some one on one time with some other drivers as well.
Doesn't Wolf just talk endlessly about nothing...

Old 01-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Jim,

My dad has the M5 powered E46 that Falline-Motorsports bulit (pic). I have seen your car out there plenty of times and always drool over the white/blue scheme. I have done an instructional day with Shawn at the 'bahn with my brother in our NSX. I recently bought a Forumal Mazda and am looking for an open wheel coach. I hope to see you at the track this year.

Jack
I've met your Dad before... that M5 is an incredible car!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by DHinkle
Doesn't Wolf just talk endlessly about nothing...
I do remember him "Jamming" out to White Snake while doing a ride along with him. heh heh heh

Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 PM
prg
prg is infamous around these parts
Jim,

Jack
I raced a standard formula mazda for four years. They are great cars and pretty bullet proof for a formula car. The gearbox requires regular inspection and the gears and dog rings are a wear item. (You may get to spend some of your track time with your gearbox innards in a plastic tub if you don't). You're going to love the thing. You may lose some of your enthusiasm for tin tops though. It's fun to run faster laps than a cup car in a 20K race car. Real race cars don't have fenders.

Last edited by prg; 01-03-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by prg
It's fun to run faster laps than a cup car in a 20K race car. Real race cars don't have fenders.
This is my thought exactly.....and i do like the F1 feel of an open cokpit, no other feeling like it.

Can you expand on where you raced, experiences, tips for a first timer?
Thanks for the info

Jack

Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Its not about the times for me...its more the "sport" of it that impresses me so much...

I would have LOVED to race in the 60s and 70s with some of those crude machines...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Race School Recommendations