Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Race School Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM
toadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud oftoadinlaw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by E36M
I'd just buy a TaG go kart and pratice a lot with it. Seat time is all that really matters. I did a 3 day school at Mid Ohio and they didn't seem to teach any more than the very basics of driving and the line of the track. Maybe you could just buy a good book on driving such as "Going Faster" by skip barber, and then get in as much seat time as you can either in your car, or in a kart. Karts seem to teach more about being smooth because it's so hard to be smooth with them, and they give you a chance to race other people side by side. Whatever you do just get as much seat time as you can.

If you are set on doing a driving school, Mid Ohio probably has the best instructors. They have Tommy Byrne, use to race F1 and Indy Lights, Kenny Johnson, who raced Indy and F3000, and Elliott Forbes Robinson who has raced pretty much everything. Those are just some of their top guys, they are all VERY good and nice. http://midohio.com/school.aspx
E36M, I am thinking of doing the Mid-Ohio Driving school. You don't speak so highly of it. I was going to ask them if I could customize the two day school as the first session looks vary basic. I would like to just get an instructor to drive with me for two days rather than some of the stuff they have you do. can you share what they did in the first two days?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 PM
prg
prg is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rs4fast
This is my thought exactly.....and i do like the F1 feel of an open cokpit, no other feeling like it.

Can you expand on where you raced, experiences, tips for a first timer?
Thanks for the info

Jack
I race at Hallett in Oklahoma with the COMMA organization ( a grassroots, run-what-you-brung group). I don't know what your options are besides the SCCA in Chicago. SCCA in Oklahoma has a few little Napoleans who have left a bad taste in my mouth with respect to the organization and its good ol' boy politics, but it may be great where you're at. You just need to look at which organization has the biggest open wheel fields in your area. My guess is it will be the SCCA. You may have the option of racing with NASA. Your car will run comparable lap times to a formula SCCA and a formula continental so you will have more cars to race with than just the FM's. For getting your feet wet and learning to drive a car with a dog box (and grip like you've never known), a few lapping days are nice if that's an option at your "country club." The SCCA schools are pretty good for teaching you the basics of racing (starts,restarts, passing etiquette), but they assume you already know how to drive the car.
If you have the funds, it's worth having professional support (ie arrive and drive or at least help at the track) so you have some help with car setup and help when things inevitably break in the practice session 45 minutes before qualifying. This is particularly useful early in the learning curve. The FM is pretty responsive to subtle adjustment. (8mm of rear sway bar adjustment can be the difference between way too loose and pushing like a pig.) This car requires a lot more maintenance that a DE street car. You'll need to do a thorough nut and bolt check after every weekend. Plan to go through the gearbox about every 8 hours at first (until you get smooth with clutchless down shifts), a little less frequently after that as you put less load on it as you get smoother and blow fewer shifts. The gear box is definitely the weak link in the power train. The motor is bulletproof. I ran mine for 4 seasons of 8-10 race weekends with out a rebuild and it had a year of pro racing on it when I bought it.
Good resources for further information are the FM forum
http://p211.ezboard.com/bformulamazdaforum
and the star mazda web site
http://www.starmazda.com/index.html

Tim McGrath at TexasAutosport is a great guy to talk to for help and a good source for parts ( I think he is the closest fm dealer to chicago). He can give you a good basic setup that works on the FM. Every time I've deviated from this I've slowed down.
http://www.texasautosports.com/

Moses Smith also can be very helpful and often has used parts for much less than new (ie if you don't have a spare nose and battery box, I'd talk to him about one. If you race a FM competetively eventually you'll need one.)
http://www.msrparts.com/catalog/

At first you can run used tires $200 set vs $750 set new while you are learning the car. Eventually you'll want to run new. New slicks are worth a second a lap over tires with 10 heat cycles.

Most important advice is have fun! I challenge you not to have a giant smile after racing wheel to wheel sliding a fm around the track. Whether you finish first or fifteenth, DE will be like kissing your sister after open wheel racing. (The same basic movement but none of the excitement.)

Last edited by prg; 01-04-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:23 PM
outerbank is infamous around these parts
I am thinking about another DE or more intensive, expensive 3-4 day event. I found this thread very informative so I am raising it from the past to see if there are any new updates/changes in the various courses over the last couple years.