Notices
GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Fabspeed 997 GT3 High Performance Air Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:02 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Wow, impressive gains

Old 01-27-2007, 10:01 AM
K2@Brandywine is infamous around these parts
But where does the cold air come from after you take away the fans used for the dyno runs??? There is ALOT of heat in the rear of these cars.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
Originally Posted by K2@Brandywine
But where does the cold air come from after you take away the fans used for the dyno runs??? There is ALOT of heat in the rear of these cars.
there are these vents in the rear lid of the GT3 that bring in air... you may have seen them before

Old 08-18-2007, 07:39 AM
jsdkms is infamous around these parts
OK, It seems like a difference of opinion on the dyno number etc. - My question is - Wo installed it on their car and what are the real world experiences?
Thanks

Old 08-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
I can't believe that when you violate the stock sealed system that your intake is better. You are getting hot air from all over. No I'll leave it stock and the hp gains are too tall for me.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:38 AM
AlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to allAlgaeHater is a name known to all
Let's see, replace the factory air intake system that a team of very highly paid engineers spent months designing using the latest CAD and computer airflow modelling programs (under various temperature and weather conditions) along with countless hours of wind tunnel testing WITH the factory wing in place (which the airbox is designed to work with) with....

....a big 'ol rectangular filter that just sits there? I wonder what these engineers are thinking when they see a product like this?

How was the dyno testing done? I'm guessing that you had a number of large fans blowing cold air directly over the engine bay during the runs - this hardly replicates real world driving. Also, you mentioned that multiple runs on the dyno were done. Does the published chart represent the "best" result? What about the worse? What was the standard deviation? I hate to sound like a skeptic, but I took several years of fluid dynamics in college, and I can only begin to imagine how much engineering goes into making something as "simple" as a factory airbox. I'm not saying all aftermarket intakes are bad - for example, I've seen the engineering that AEM does when designing a new intake system application. I just think that there's a huge difference in ENGINEERING vs. FABRICATION (which many tuners use interchangeably).

Last edited by AlgaeHater; 08-18-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Orli930 is infamous around these parts
YEAH!!!! What "ALGAEHATER" said!

Old 08-18-2007, 07:56 PM
rotary rocket has a spectacular aura aboutrotary rocket has a spectacular aura about
Factory engineers have to design around laws (noise, etc.). I do believe it is possible for HP gains by indi aftermarket designers, but having said that it is no secret that "cold air" makes HP and not hot air!

Also there is a certain amount of "ram air" effect due to the scopes and sealed nature of the stock system and it looks like that aspect would be lost on your system as well.

How well will it perform in rain? Can it possibly get wet due to no cover?